Created By: 20160728T234705Z
The sweetness of strawberries blended with the flavors of balsamic vinegar and red wine makes a rich sauce in minutes. This is a strawberry recipe to keep handy for entertaining but is also easy enough to enjoy for a weeknight dinner.
- 1 Package (16 ounces or 3 cups) Driscoll's Strawberries, divided
- 4 Teaspoons light olive or vegetable oil, divided
- 2/3 Cup sliced shallots
- 1/2 Tsp. dried thyme leaves
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 Cup red wine
- 3/4 Cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 Teaspoons cold water
- 1 clove garlic, pressed or chopped
- 1 small bay leaf
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (4 to 5 ounces)
Coat chicken with remaining 2 teaspoons oil; season lightly with salt and pepper.
Grill or broil 4 to 5 minutes per side, until internal temperature is 170°F.
Serve chicken surrounded by remaining sliced berries and warm strawberry sauce.
Hull and slice strawberries. Set aside.
Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat.
Add shallots, garlic, bay leaf and thyme and stir until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes.
Add 3/4 cup sliced strawberries and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add balsamic vinegar and simmer 1 minute.
Add wine and simmer until liquid is reduced to about half.
Add broth and simmer 5 minutes. Whisk cornstarch and water together. Add mixture to saucepan and boil for 1 minute, stirring until thickened. Strain sauce and season with salt and pepper. Reheat just before serving.