The holidays are fast approaching and if you’re like me, the first thing you plan is what to bake. I love making pies and have baked enough at this point to feel quite confident making a homemade crust and even a decorative border. No matter the filling though, it’s universal that a lattice-topped pie is a showstopper and will have everyone asking how you did it.
Truthfully, a lattice-topped pie can be intimidating even to the most proficient baker. It’s important to plan ahead. It’s crucial to work quickly. And it’s a darn good idea to follow instructions. We’ve taken any of the guesswork out of the equation and created this beautiful step-by-step guide to making this simple yet impressive Pear Raspberry Cardamom Spiced Pie.
If the lattice is the biggest challenge you want to tackle, you can certainly use store-bought ready-to-roll pie dough instead of the crust recipe provided. To get started, roll out the first disk of dough on a lightly floured surface and place in the pie plate, pressing gently to fit and folding under any overhang. Save any scraps of dough to cut out small decorative shapes like leaves, acorns or whatever you like. Refrigerate the pie shell and cutouts while preparing the lattice and making the filling.
Roll out the second disk of dough and cut 14 (1/2-inch to 3/4-inch-wide) strips. Use any scraps to cut out small decorative shapes. Prepare filling and place in refrigerated pie shell. Use these photos as a guide for how to create your beautiful lattice topped pie.
1. Evenly place seven of the dough strips on top of the filling.
2. Starting with the first strip on the left side (1), fold back every other strip halfway (1, 3, 5 and 7).
3. Place a dough strip horizontally over the center of the filling, perpendicular to the first seven strips. Unfold strips 1, 3, 5 and 7.
4. Fold back strips 2, 4 and 6 halfway.
5. Place another strip perpendicular to the first seven strips just below the center strip.
6. Unfold strips 2, 4 and 6. Fold back strips 1, 3, 5 and 7 and place another strip horizontally.
7. Unfold strips 1, 3, 5 and 7. Fold back strips 2, 4 and 6. Place another strip horizontally.
8. Unfold strips 2, 4 and 6.
9. Repeat the process on the other side of the pie to complete the lattice. Trim any overhanging strips and gently press into the bottom crust layer.
10. To finish the pie edge, layer the edge with cutout shapes. Lightly brush the crust with a beaten egg white or mixture of egg yolk and heavy cream as directed in recipe and then bake according to the directions.
For the full recipe visit Pear Raspberry Cardamom Spiced Pie. And if you’re a pie lover check out our new Pie Sweepstakes to enter for a chance to win Driscoll’s berries for a year and a heritage Le Creuset pie set.