Served room temperature or chilled this blueberry salad with curry-flavored wheat berries is a healthy and hearty option for side dish. The Indian spices complement nutty wheat berries and sweet blueberries for a wonderful combination.
- 1 1/2 Cups hard wheat berries, rinsed and picked over
- 1/2 Tsp. ground turmeric
- 2 Teaspoons salt
- 1/4 Cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 Cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 Tsp. fresh grated ginger root
- 4 Teaspoons garam masala or curry powder
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons (to garnish, if desired)
- 3/4 Cup canola oil
- 1/2 Cup cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 2 Cups Driscoll's Blueberries
- 1/2 Cup almonds, toasted (optional)
- 1/4 Cup mint, coarsely chopped
- Ground black pepper to taste
Combine wheat berries, turmeric, salt and enough water to cover by 2-inches in a large pot. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce to a simmer and cook uncovered for 55 to 65 minutes or until the wheat berries are tender. Drain and let cool slightly.
While the wheat berries are cooking, make the curry vinaigrette. Combine lemon juice, garlic, ginger and garam masala in a nonreactive bowl. Slowly whisk in oil and add cilantro.
To assemble salad, stir in enough vinaigrette to moisten the warm wheat berries. Add blueberries, almonds, scallions and mint and gently toss to combine adding more salt, pepper and vinaigrette if desired.