This dessert is a modern interpretation of the classic berry shortcake. Cutting cold butter into the flour makes little crumbs of fat that produce light, flaky shortcakes. A light stirring and kneading of the dough makes the flakiest shortcakes.
- 2 Cups all-purpose flour, plus more for kneading
- 1/3 Cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons baking powder
- 1 Tbsp. grated lemon zest
- 1/2 Tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 Cup buttermilk
- 2 Teaspoons raw or coarse sugar crystals
Mixed Berry Sauce
- 1 Package (16 ounces or 3 cups) Driscoll's Strawberries, hulled
- 1/3 Cup plus 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar, divided
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 Package (6 ounces or 1 1/3 cups) Driscoll's Blackberries
- 1 Package (6 ounces or 1 1/4 cups) Driscoll's Blueberries
- 1 Package (6 ounces or 1 1/3 cups) Driscoll's Raspberries
- 1/2 heavy cream
Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or coat with cooking spray. Combine flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, zest and baking soda in a large bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in buttermilk just until dry ingredients are moistened. Place dough on a lightly floured surface. Knead gently 3 to 4 times.
Pat or roll to 1/2-inch thickness, dusting lightly with flour to prevent sticking.
Cut 8 stars or circles using a 3 to 4-inch diameter cookie cutter. Place on prepared pan. Moisten tops with water and sprinkle with sugar crystals.
Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until golden brown. Place cakes on a wire rack to cool.
Mixed Berry Sauce
Blend half strawberries, 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar and lemon juice in a blender until smooth. Slice and reserve remaining strawberries to serve with shortcakes. Whip heavy cream and remaining 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar until soft peaks form.
Using a serrated knife, cut shortcakes in half horizontally. Place bottom halves on dessert plates. Top each with a dollop of whipped cream. Surround with blackberries, raspberries and blueberries. Drizzle with 1 to 2 tablespoons strawberry sauce, sliced strawberries and add shortcake top. Pass remaining sauce.
|Total Fat||20.57 g|
|Saturated Fat||12.47 g|
|Total Carbohydrates||54.37 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5.09 g|