Chopped strawberries in the batter and a sliced strawberry blossom topping make these simple cupcakes tasty and beautiful. Follow the photo for decorating or experiment with different berries and make an assortment of blossoms.
- 1 3/4 Cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 Tsp. salt
- 3/4 Cup whole milk, at room temperature
- 1/2 Cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature, cut into small pieces
- 3/4 Cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 2 packages (16 ounces each) Driscoll's Strawberries, hulled
Frosting and Decoration
- 3/4 Cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature, cut into small pieces
- 6 3/4 Cups confectioner's sugar, whisked before measuring (plus extra as needed)
- 1/3 Cup whole milk (plus extra as needed)
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pastry bag and star tip, such as Wilton 1M
PREHEAT oven to 350°F degrees.LINE a muffin pan with 18 cupcake liners.WHISK flour, baking powder, and salt together in a small bowl.SET ASIDE flour mixture.WHISK egg whites and milk together in a small bowl.SET ASIDE egg white mixture.BEAT butter with an electric mixer on medium-high speed in a large bowl until butter is creamy, about 2 minutes.ADD granulated sugar gradually WHILE BEATING until mixture is light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Scrape down sides of bowl as needed.BEAT IN vanilla.BEAT IN ¼ of flour mixture.BEAT IN ¼ of egg white mixture.REPEAT until all flour mixture and egg white is beaten in and batter is smooth.CHOP enough hulled strawberries to equal 1 cup.FOLD strawberries into batter.DIVIDE batter evenly between cupcake liners in pan.BAKE for about 22 minutes or until cupcake edges are turning light golden brown. A toothpick inserted in center will show a few moist crumbs.COOL on rack for 5 minutes.REMOVE cupcakes to a cooling rack.COOL completely.
Frosting and Decoration
BEAT butter with an electric mixer on medium-high speed in a large bowl until butter is creamy, about 2 minutes.ADD 1 cup confectioners’ sugar gradually WHILE BEATING until mixture is light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Scrape down sides of bowl as needed.ADD remaining confectioner’ sugar.ADD milk.ADD vanilla.BEAT frosting on high speed until silky smooth.PIPE a swirl of frosting on top of each cupcake using a pastry bag and tip.SLICE remaining strawberries as desired to decorate tops of cupcakes like a blossom.
For more Strawberry Shortcake recipes, click here!
|Total Fat||12.83 g|
|Saturated Fat||9.18 g|
|Total Carbohydrates||66.90 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1.01 g|