Senior Bioinformatics Engineer, Next Generation Breeding
- Location: US - Watsonville, California
- Job Family: Research & Development
- Time Type: Full time
- Job Requisition ID: R0002420
- Experience Years: 5-10 Years of Experience
- Employee Type: Regular
About the OpportunityThe Senior Bioinformatics Engineer, Next Generation Breeding will be responsible for applying the tools of bioinformatics, computer science, and high performance computing to accelerate traditional plant breeding. This role will work together with a small creative team to design and maintain existing tools, create new tools and conduct research. Responsibilities include discovery and application work including algorithm development, deployment, and database development. This role will also plan and assure completion of complex projects involving cross-functional teams, and will stay current with the newest bioinformatics techniques that would aid Driscoll’s in accomplishing our mission.
- Work with the next generation breeding team to develop algorithms that assist in the analysis of genetic and genomic data.
- Apply open-source software and develop custom algorithms to genetic and genomic data sets to aid in discovery of marker-trait associations.
- Develop database systems capable of primary data storage and export for secondary analysis with other tools.
- Facilitate interaction with Driscoll's IS (Information Services) department to maintain/enhance molecular databases and to secure primary data integrity.
- Establish collaborative relationships with other researchers in the field through attendance of conferences and symposia.
- Occasional travel to locations in the European Union will be required.
- Follow Company policies and practices while representing Driscoll’s in an ethical and business-like manner in all interactions with employees, governmental agencies, growers, customers, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in Mathematics or Computer Science with 5+ years of work experience.
- Proficiency in Java, C++, and PostgreSQL.
- Strong knowledge of Linux and bash shell scripting.
- Experience with high performance computing environments in Linux.
- Experience with routine Linux systems administration.
- Experience with R.
- Experience with Python or another scripting language is a plus.
- Knowledge of genetics and genomics is highly desired.
- Experience in the analysis of whole genome sequence data or genotyping by sequencing data is a plus.
- Experience in bioinformatics.
- Experience planning complex projects involving cross-functional or interdisciplinary teams.
- Individual must possess the ability to develop strong trust in all working relationships.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully work in a cross-functional team environment.
- Excellent communication skills, including written, verbal, and presentation.
- Some travel will be required.
- A California driver’s license and the ability to be covered under company-sponsored vehicle insurance program are also required.
- Passport and the ability to travel internationally without restrictions is also required.
Driscoll's is the global market leader for fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. With more than 100 years of farming heritage and hundreds of independent growers around the world, Driscoll's is passionate about growing fresh, beautiful and delicious berries. Our values of humility, passion and trustworthiness have guided our mission to delight consumers around the world.
Driscoll's exclusive patented berry varieties are developed through years of research using only natural breeding methods – meaning, no GMOs. From farm-to-table, we focus on delivering a high quality, premium berry experience with our many supply chain partners.
Driscoll's is the trusted brand for Only the Finest Berries™.
Driscoll's es el proveedor líder en la comercialización de Fresas, Frambuesas, Zarzamoras y Arándanos Azules en el mundo. Con más de 100 años de herencia en agricultura y cientos de productores independiente alrededor del mundo, Driscoll's es una compañía apasionada por cultivar Berries frescas, hermosas y deliciosas. Nuestros valores de humildad, pasión y confianza han guiado nuestra misión de deleitar a los consumidores en el mundo.
Las variedades exclusivas de Driscoll's han sido desarrolladas a través de años de investigación usando sólo métodos de mejoramiento natural. De la granja a la mesa, nos enfocamos en ofrecer una experiencia de alta calidad con apoyo de nuestros socios de la cadena de suministro.
Driscoll's es la marca de confianza de sólo las mejores Berries.