US Research Farming Senior Manager
- Location: US - Watsonville, California
- Job Family: Research & Development
- Time Type: Full time
- Job Requisition ID: R0005307
- Experience Years: 5-10 Years of Experience
- Employee Type: Regular
About the OpportunityThe US Research Farming Senior Manager will be the operational leader responsible for advancing Driscoll’s US research farms into world leading precision agriculture test plot sites, manage the US research farming network, including test plots in Watsonville, Santa Maria, and Oxnard (California), Dover (Florida) and Albany (Oregon) within cutting edge, innovative and sustainable farming technologies. This role will also establish and cultivate the professional profiles, the detail-oriented processes and the team structures that ensure excellent farming quality of seedling populations, breeding and research trials as well as of the data generated from breeding and research programs. Additionally, this role will develop and mentor a team of R&D farm managers, growers, supervisors, and specialists, instilling a culture of excellence, improvement, collaboration, and curiosity, including identifying opportunities for professional and developmental growth.
- Provide strategic leadership, direction and support to the US research farming teams and ensure the advancement of Driscoll’s US research farms into world leading precision agriculture test plot sites.
- Manage the US research farming network, including test plots in Watsonville, Santa Maria, and Oxnard (California), Dover (Florida) and Albany (Oregon) and ensure achievement of our goals in the most succinct timeline possible.
- Develop, design, and implement high-quality processes and improvements in research farms and lead the development of new technologies in the breeding research farms by way of strong project management skills.
- Establish and cultivate the professional profiles, the processes and the team structures that ensure excellent farming quality of seedling populations, breeding and research trials as well as of the data generated from breeding and research programs.
- Develop and mentor a team of R&D farm managers, growers, supervisors, and specialists, instilling a culture of excellence, improvement, collaboration, and curiosity, including identifying opportunities for professional and developmental growth.
- Develop a culture of quality, innovation and interaction with the business that supports and enhances the presence of growers in the research farms, effectively contributing for the genetic deployment of Driscoll’s proprietary genetics.
- Establish and cultivate strong relationships with breeders and researchers, district and operation managers, growers, and other research farm colleagues across Driscoll’s global organization.
- Ensure yearly, multi-year and strategic planning of all US research farming operations, including footprint occupancy, infra-structure, and financial budgets, in alignment with plant breeders and other researchers.
- Strengthen the connectivity between the US research farming teams and the global teams, establish transfer and adoption of best propagation and farming practices and production systems to best serve the cultivation of breeding and research programs.
- Ensure the research farms operate within the approved budgetary targets by managing and monitoring expenditures, accordingly, including seasonal labor costs and large capital purchases.
- Ensures the confidentiality of Driscoll’s financial, proprietary and employee information.
- Represents Driscoll’s in a manner that demonstrates Driscoll’s Mission and Values in all interactions internally and externally.
- Performs other duties as instructed.
- This job description is intended to describe the general nature of the work performed by employees in this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all the job's responsibilities. At Driscoll’s, all our jobs include broad responsibilities for continually improving the processes we use to develop our products.
- An MBA, Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Business Management, Horticulture, Agricultural Systems, Biology or Plant Sciences.
- Strong business management experience, including project management (8 years +) and an effective people manager with a track record of recruiting, directing, coaching, and inspiring teams towards high performance and cross-functional goals with breeders, researchers and other stakeholders across various functions.
- Capable of solving and directing technical issues while also possessing business acumen to integrate Enterprise vision into strategic plans and decisions for the US Research Farming network.
- Problem solving capacity, demonstrating critical thinking and agility to address issues on time and collaboratively.
- Experience with complex irrigation and farming systems and excellent understanding of horticultural production systems and levels of environmental control.
- Experience planning and managing budgets and prioritizing expenditures within set guidelines.
- Demonstrates passion towards high performance, innovation and continuous learning and can translate it into team’s development and execution plans.
- Available to travel across the US research farming sites as needed, as well as internationally.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish).
- California license and the ability to be covered under company-sponsored vehicle insurance program are also required.
Compensation & Benefits:
The following information is provided in good faith as a general description of the salary range and benefits for the position posted. The actual compensation offered to the successful candidate is dependent upon experience, skills, education, work location, internal pay equity, and other objective job-related factors.
Salary Range estimated for US Research Farming Senior Manager: $112,000 to $165,000 USD.
Driscoll’s is committed to a culture of care and offers an attractive benefits package that includes comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage, life insurance, and disability coverage for positions working more than 30 hours per week. Other benefits include: 401(k) with employer match, profit-sharing participation, paid sick time, paid vacation, paid personal and family care leave, and a free Employee Assistance Program (EAP). More detailed information regarding the benefits package, will be shared during the application process.
Driscoll's is the global market leader for fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. With more than 100 years of farming heritage and hundreds of independent growers around the world, Driscoll's is passionate about growing fresh, beautiful and delicious berries. Our values of humility, passion and trustworthiness have guided our mission to delight consumers around the world.
Driscoll's exclusive patented berry varieties are developed through years of research using only natural breeding methods – meaning, no GMOs. From farm-to-table, we focus on delivering a high quality, premium berry experience with our many supply chain partners.
Driscoll's is the trusted brand for Only the Finest Berries™.
Driscoll's es el proveedor líder en la comercialización de Fresas, Frambuesas, Zarzamoras y Arándanos Azules en el mundo. Con más de 100 años de herencia en agricultura y cientos de productores independiente alrededor del mundo, Driscoll's es una compañía apasionada por cultivar Berries frescas, hermosas y deliciosas. Nuestros valores de humildad, pasión y confianza han guiado nuestra misión de deleitar a los consumidores en el mundo.
Las variedades exclusivas de Driscoll's han sido desarrolladas a través de años de investigación usando sólo métodos de mejoramiento natural. De la granja a la mesa, nos enfocamos en ofrecer una experiencia de alta calidad con apoyo de nuestros socios de la cadena de suministro.
Driscoll's es la marca de confianza de sólo las mejores Berries.