Software Engineering Intern
- Location: US - Watsonville, California
- Job Family: Administration
- Time Type: Full time
- Job Requisition ID: R0005272
- Experience Years: 0-3 Years of Experience
- Employee Type: Intern
About the OpportunityThis internship offers a software engineering student the unique opportunity to explore working with a highly collaborative agricultural Research and Development group focused on breeding berries. The intern will work most closely with the Driscoll’s informatics team and the molecular blueberry breeder. The intern will be responsible for the development of a tool used to aggregate data for the annual crosses and molecular markers for the breeding programs. They will have the opportunity to participate in general day-to-day breeding activities during peak season, including but not limited to, seedling selection, fruit evaluation, and phenotyping (more or less field time will be adjusted according to intern interest). At the end of the internship, they will present the data and conclusion of their main projects in a report, and will give an oral presentation to discuss their findings.
- • Work with the breeding team to understand the needs of the crossing tool.
- • Work with the informatics team to understand how the tool will fit into the database and communicate with the rest of the platform.
- • Develop an interactive application that allows breeders to input cross design and select molecular markers for screening.
- • Communicate progress and obstacles with members of the bioinformatics and breeding teams.
- • Share findings through detailed documentations and summarized reports.
- • Currently enrolled in a Bachelors or Masters Degree program in Data Science, Computer Science, Software Engineering
- • Have taken course work in biology- and genetics-related courses a plus.
- • Strong Python programming skills.
- • Advanced experience with Django platform.
- • Ability to build components of an overall workflow.
- • Have an understanding of the scientific method.
- • Be able to work in office, lab, and outdoor field environments (lab and outdoor component will be tailored to the candidate’s interest). Option to work remotely part of the week.
- • Be attentive to details.
- • Have great communication skills.
- • Be reliable, honest, and trustworthy.
- • California driver’s license and the ability to be covered under company-sponsored vehicle insurance program.
The following information is provided in good faith as a general description of the salary range and benefits for the position posted. The actual compensation offered to the successful candidate is dependent upon experience, skills, education, work location, internal pay equity, and other objective job-related factors.
The hourly range estimated for this internship is:
- • Freshman to recent grad: $18-$22
- • Master to PhD: $26-$40
Driscoll’s is committed to a culture of care and offers an attractive benefits package that includes comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage, life insurance, and disability coverage for positions working more than 30 hours per week. Other benefits include: 401(k) with employer match, profit-sharing participation, paid sick time, paid vacation, paid personal and family care leave, and a free Employee Assistance Program (EAP). More detailed information regarding the benefits package, will be shared during the application process.
Driscoll's is the global market leader for fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. With more than 100 years of farming heritage and hundreds of independent growers around the world, Driscoll's is passionate about growing fresh, beautiful and delicious berries. Our values of humility, passion and trustworthiness have guided our mission to delight consumers around the world.
Driscoll's exclusive patented berry varieties are developed through years of research using only natural breeding methods – meaning, no GMOs. From farm-to-table, we focus on delivering a high quality, premium berry experience with our many supply chain partners.
Driscoll's is the trusted brand for Only the Finest Berries™.
Driscoll's es el proveedor líder en la comercialización de Fresas, Frambuesas, Zarzamoras y Arándanos Azules en el mundo. Con más de 100 años de herencia en agricultura y cientos de productores independiente alrededor del mundo, Driscoll's es una compañía apasionada por cultivar Berries frescas, hermosas y deliciosas. Nuestros valores de humildad, pasión y confianza han guiado nuestra misión de deleitar a los consumidores en el mundo.
Las variedades exclusivas de Driscoll's han sido desarrolladas a través de años de investigación usando sólo métodos de mejoramiento natural. De la granja a la mesa, nos enfocamos en ofrecer una experiencia de alta calidad con apoyo de nuestros socios de la cadena de suministro.
Driscoll's es la marca de confianza de sólo las mejores Berries.