Nursery Plant Health Manager (Hybrid in Northern California)
- Location: US - Redding Nursery
- Job Family: Applied Research
- Time Type: Full time
- Job Requisition ID: R0005183
- Experience Years: 3-5 Years of Experience
- Employee Type: Regular
- Remote Type: Hybrid
About the OpportunityThe Nursery Plant Health Manager will be responsible for providing support to the DOTA (Driscoll’s of the Americas) Nursery Plant Health and Clean Stock team. The successful candidate will be responsible for the monitoring and management of economically important pests and diseases of blackberry, blueberry, raspberry, and strawberry, conducting and managing trials, updating necessary regulatory and internal standards documents, and participating in regulatory audits. The manager will collaborate with and help team members involved in clean stock, nursery, breeding and grower support.
- Optimize, develop and deploy plant health programs for all berry crops (strawberry, raspberry, blackberry and blueberry).
- Manage scouts and inspection activities at multiple Nursery locations.
- Refine, update and document Nursery Clean Stock and Plant Health best management practices and standard operating procedures.
- Ensure Plant Health and Clean Stock processes are in place and being followed at all DOTA Nursery locations to ensure our plants are free of economically important diseases.
- Work in cooperation with company Information Systems and Nursery Systems colleagues develop tools to handle all record keeping and reporting tasks related to Nursery Plant Health and Clean Stock.
- Lead and conduct Nursery Plant Health and Clean Stock research projects, possibly involving novel non-chemical treatments that contribute to more sustainable nursery plant production.
- Engage with phytosanitary regulatory community for berry crops. Work with regulators regarding proper handling of phytosanitary risk and protection of natural and agricultural resources.
- Perform data collection and statistical analysis, summarize research, write reports, develop presentations, with opportunities to extend learnings to all levels of clientele.
- Manage data and write documents and reports in a timely manner.
- Provide assistance to team members in Nursery Plant Health and Clean Stock and collaborators in other departments. Collaborate with operations, planning, clean stock, breeding, and entomology, and fruit growing departments to accomplish planned growth.
- Acts as a resource in other regions and Business Units when appropriate, and train those with less experience.
- Executes other duties as instructed.
- Partner with others to achieve mutual goals.
- Ph.D. or Master’s degree with 3+ years of work experience in Plant Pathology, Entomology or related field preferred.
- Strong applied field and greenhouse plant pathology and entomology skills needed. Some knowledge and experience with molecular tools a plus.
- Experience managing and working with diverse cross-cultural team teams onsite and remotely.
- Knowledge of plants and their cultivation in greenhouses and fields.
- Solid experimental design, data collection and analysis skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication & presentation skills ideal.
- Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail.
- Domestic and international travel may be required up to 25%.
- Travel to Mexico periodically is required.
Preferred Qualifications & Leadership Competencies
- Individual should be a self-starter and enjoy the challenge of working in a growing company.
- Must be able to obtain a California driver’s license and have the ability to be covered under company-sponsored vehicle insurance program.
- A valid passport and the ability to travel internationally without restrictions may be required.
- Plans & Aligns: establishes priorities and desired outcomes and creates plans to achieve them.
- Drives Results: pursues everything with energy, resourcefulness, and the need to achieve desired outcomes.
- Collaborates: works with a variety of colleagues, inside and/or outside of Driscoll’s, seeking win-wins solutions.
- Drives Engagement: creates a motivating work environment and empowers others.
- Develops Talent: actively seeks opportunities to develop one’s self and others.
- Courage: tackles difficult issues timely with optimism and transparency.
Compensation & Benefits
The following information is provided in good faith as a general description of the salary range and benefits for the position posted. The actual compensation offered to the successful candidate is dependent upon experience, skills, education, work location, internal pay equity, and other objective job-related factors.
Salary Range estimated for Nursery Plant Health Manager: $74,600.00 to $120,000.00 USD.
Driscoll’s is committed to a culture of care and offers an attractive benefits package that includes comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage, life insurance, and disability coverage for positions working more than 30 hours per week. Other benefits include: 401(k) with employer match, profit-sharing participation, paid sick time, paid vacation, paid personal and family care leave, and a free Employee Assistance Program (EAP). More detailed information regarding the benefits package, will be shared during the application process.
Application instructions: Please include a cover letter with your resume submission.
Driscoll's is the global market leader for fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. With more than 100 years of farming heritage and hundreds of independent growers around the world, Driscoll's is passionate about growing fresh, beautiful and delicious berries. Our values of humility, passion and trustworthiness have guided our mission to delight consumers around the world.
Driscoll's exclusive patented berry varieties are developed through years of research using only natural breeding methods – meaning, no GMOs. From farm-to-table, we focus on delivering a high quality, premium berry experience with our many supply chain partners.
Driscoll's is the trusted brand for Only the Finest Berries™.
Driscoll's es el proveedor líder en la comercialización de Fresas, Frambuesas, Zarzamoras y Arándanos Azules en el mundo. Con más de 100 años de herencia en agricultura y cientos de productores independiente alrededor del mundo, Driscoll's es una compañía apasionada por cultivar Berries frescas, hermosas y deliciosas. Nuestros valores de humildad, pasión y confianza han guiado nuestra misión de deleitar a los consumidores en el mundo.
Las variedades exclusivas de Driscoll's han sido desarrolladas a través de años de investigación usando sólo métodos de mejoramiento natural. De la granja a la mesa, nos enfocamos en ofrecer una experiencia de alta calidad con apoyo de nuestros socios de la cadena de suministro.
Driscoll's es la marca de confianza de sólo las mejores Berries.