Assistant Technical Grower
- Location: US - Oxnard Arts Ranch
- Job Family: Research & Development
- Time Type: Full time
- Job Requisition ID: R0004698
- Experience Years: 0-3 Years of Experience
- Employee Type: Regular
About the OpportunityThe Assistant Technical Grower supports the Research Farm Technical Grower in growing high quality crops for the breeders and other researchers. Responsibilities include collecting various data, graphing, and submitting weekly reports to various stakeholders for crop health such as lysimeter EC & pH’s, irrigation and fertilization application records, pest and disease scouting reports, pesticide records, and soil water/tissue samples. Technical growing aspects such as running an advanced irrigation system, preparing fertilizers, and at times applying pesticides are also integral to this position. Collaborating well with over a dozen breeders and researchers in performing the farming of their trials is key to this role.
- Assist the Growing Supervisor with appropriate and timely irrigation practices based upon tensiometer readings, lysimeter measurements, weather, stage of growth, and general plant observations.
- Walk test plots regularly to monitor overall crop health, check for any issues and coordinate with the Technical Grower and Supervisors to implement pest control, irrigation, and plant nutrition.
- Assist the Grower in ensuring appropriate fertilization and acidification practices based on berry type, stage of growth, lysimeter readings, tissue and soil nutritional analysis, climate, and if any nutritional deficiencies or toxicities are present.
- Serve as lead for irrigation team and can make decisions on what takes priority and how a task should be done to be most efficient and maintain a high standard for quality work.
- Communicate weekly with internal partners such as breeders, entomology researchers, and applied researchers on irrigation, fertilization, pest management, and other farming duties.
- Make daily irrigation adjustments based on lysimeter data and with guidance of Technical Grower, make sure data is being sent daily by email.
- Maintain lysimeter stations and make sure they are appropriate for the valve/experiment with proper name and that they are clean.
- Ensure Priva and all its components are in working order.
- Ability operate wells and irrigate soil-grown crops.
- Assist the Research Associate with oversight and execution during special project design, installation, and daily/weekly management of such projects.
- Maintains a safe and professional work environment by complying with all Driscoll’s policies and trainings in pesticide application, irrigation, safety, etc.
- Ensures the security of all Driscoll’s proprietary and confidential information.
- Performs other duties as assigned, related to agricultural operations.
- This job description is intended to describe the general nature of work performed by employees in this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all the job’s responsibilities. At Driscoll’s, all our jobs include broad responsibilities for continually improving the processes we use to develop our products.
- Demonstrated proficiency with computer programs (Excel, Word, Outlook).
- Must be able and willing to occasionally spray pesticides/fertilizers on research crops.
- Experience with research protocols; and knowledge of plant physiology, health and pest pressure assessment, knowledge of soils/water and agricultural practices.
- Ability to work as part of a team and collaborate with other crew members in achieving team goals.
- Self-starter, hands-on, ability to work independently and work well with teams.
- Able to work in the field, office, and corporate settings, including the ability to perform hard, repetitive physical work as necessary.
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) is highly preferred.
- Ability to lift to 50 lbs.
- Must have valid driver's license. Travel in a company provided vehicle during working hours will be required mostly in the Oxnard area, with occasional travel to other farming locations in California.
- Bachelor’s degree in agriculture related field preferred but not required.
- 3+ years of plant growing experience preferred.
- Pesticide license holder preferred.
Driscoll's is the global market leader for fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. With more than 100 years of farming heritage and hundreds of independent growers around the world, Driscoll's is passionate about growing fresh, beautiful and delicious berries. Our values of humility, passion and trustworthiness have guided our mission to delight consumers around the world.
Driscoll's exclusive patented berry varieties are developed through years of research using only natural breeding methods – meaning, no GMOs. From farm-to-table, we focus on delivering a high quality, premium berry experience with our many supply chain partners.
Driscoll's is the trusted brand for Only the Finest Berries™.
Driscoll's es el proveedor líder en la comercialización de Fresas, Frambuesas, Zarzamoras y Arándanos Azules en el mundo. Con más de 100 años de herencia en agricultura y cientos de productores independiente alrededor del mundo, Driscoll's es una compañía apasionada por cultivar Berries frescas, hermosas y deliciosas. Nuestros valores de humildad, pasión y confianza han guiado nuestra misión de deleitar a los consumidores en el mundo.
Las variedades exclusivas de Driscoll's han sido desarrolladas a través de años de investigación usando sólo métodos de mejoramiento natural. De la granja a la mesa, nos enfocamos en ofrecer una experiencia de alta calidad con apoyo de nuestros socios de la cadena de suministro.
Driscoll's es la marca de confianza de sólo las mejores Berries.