- Location: US - Watsonville, California
- Job Family: Legal
- Time Type: Full time
- Job Requisition ID: R0004330
- Experience Years: 3-5 Years of Experience
- Employee Type: Regular
About the OpportunityThe primary responsibilities of the Legal Manager or Attorney role includes providing legal counsel, contract structuring and negotiation, and managing legal counsel across North America, South America, Europe, China, and Australia. This is a generalist role, ideal for a business-minded attorney, experienced paralegal, or contracts professional with strong contracts, legal research, negotiation, and project management experience.
- Provide solution-focused legal guidance to a multitude of business functions.
- Practice and learn the following areas of law: commercial transactions, agriculture, finance, food safety, intellectual property, labelling, licensing, PACA, real estate, sales/marketing, supply chain, transportation, UCC, etc.
- Draft and negotiate a broad variety of contracts in accordance with legal policies and procedures.
- Collaborate with other members of Legal Affairs on cross-functional initiatives.
- Oversee and support effective working relationships with domestic and international outside legal counsel to provide required expertise and support for transactional and legal matters.
- Ensure the security of Driscoll’s confidential and proprietary information.
- Represents Driscoll’s in an ethical and business-like manner in all interactions with growers, suppliers, customers and the business community at large.
- Mentor and learn from employees at all levels.
- Domestic and international travel required up to 10%.
- Bachelor’s required. JD preferred, however we are very interested in experienced paralegals and contracts professionals.
- Professional experience on the job: 3+ years for attorneys; 8+ years for paralegals and contract professionals.
- Professional experience in the functional area: 3+ years for attorneys; 8+ years for paralegals and contract professionals.
- Areas of experience: Drafting, reviewing and negotiating contracts.
- Preparation of term sheets for business transactions.
- Intellectual property licensing.
- Ability to review, analyze and negotiate broad assortment of legal agreements.
- Outstanding legal research, oral, and written communication skills.
- Foreign Language: Not required, Spanish is a plus.
- Experience managing outside counsel.
Preferred (other) Qualifications
- Excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills; ability to develop close working relationships and to work, collaborate, and finalize projects, contracts and transactions effectively across diverse groups, teams, and cultures.
- Prior experience as an attorney, paralegal, or contracts professional in a firm or corporate legal environment.
- Experience with Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Experience working in the agriculture industry and/or in a global organization.
- Spanish is a plus, but not required.
- California driver’s license and a valid passport with the ability to travel internationally without restrictions.
Driscoll's is the global market leader for fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. With more than 100 years of farming heritage and hundreds of independent growers around the world, Driscoll's is passionate about growing fresh, beautiful and delicious berries. Our values of humility, passion and trustworthiness have guided our mission to delight consumers around the world.
Driscoll's exclusive patented berry varieties are developed through years of research using only natural breeding methods – meaning, no GMOs. From farm-to-table, we focus on delivering a high quality, premium berry experience with our many supply chain partners.
Driscoll's is the trusted brand for Only the Finest Berries™.
Driscoll's es el proveedor líder en la comercialización de Fresas, Frambuesas, Zarzamoras y Arándanos Azules en el mundo. Con más de 100 años de herencia en agricultura y cientos de productores independiente alrededor del mundo, Driscoll's es una compañía apasionada por cultivar Berries frescas, hermosas y deliciosas. Nuestros valores de humildad, pasión y confianza han guiado nuestra misión de deleitar a los consumidores en el mundo.
Las variedades exclusivas de Driscoll's han sido desarrolladas a través de años de investigación usando sólo métodos de mejoramiento natural. De la granja a la mesa, nos enfocamos en ofrecer una experiencia de alta calidad con apoyo de nuestros socios de la cadena de suministro.
Driscoll's es la marca de confianza de sólo las mejores Berries.