Molecular Blackberry Breeder
- Location: US - Watsonville, California
- Job Family: Research & Development
- Time Type: Full time
- Job Requisition ID: R0004252
- Experience Years: 3-5 Years of Experience
- Employee Type: Regular
About the OpportunityAs a member of the global blackberry breeding team, the Molecular Blackberry Breeder has the responsibility to develop and execute the global molecular breeding strategy. In addition, the Molecular Blackberry Breeder is expected to identify and curate the appropriate pre-breeding resources necessary for long-term advancement of the Driscoll’s blackberry breeding program. The Molecular Blackberry Breeder reports to the Director of Global Blackberry Breeding, based in Watsonville, CA, who is accountable for the global program. This position will act as the blackberry breeding representative and interact with all departments associated with the molecular breeding efforts, including but not limited to molecular genetics, chemistry, sensory, plant pathology, entomology, physiology, production management, production research, and marketing. In close interaction with other R&D colleagues, this position will be responsible for the design of innovative breeding techniques and analytical tools to improve breeding efficiency and genetic gain for blackberry.
- With the guidance of the Global Blackberry Breeding Director in Watsonville, California, manage the molecular blackberry breeding program in Watsonville, CA.
- Coordinate molecular blackberry breeding efforts with global breeding efforts.
- Develop and implement tactical plans for short-term and long-term predictive breeding strategies and ensure that project portfolio is aligned with the blackberry breeding strategy.
- Help build the molecular breeding and SNP genotyping platform to support predictive breeding, genomic selection and trait introgression.
- With the direction of the Global Blackberry Breeding Director, design and implement an appropriate hybridization and selection program to develop molecular breeding strategies.
- Provide leadership for selection and/or population evaluation of molecular breeding trials at test plots globally.
- Recommend and coordinate research to improve program efficiency.
- Follow Company policies and practices while representing Driscoll’s in an ethical and business-like manner in all interactions with employees, governmental agencies, growers, customers, etc.
- Ensure the security of Driscoll’s confidential and proprietary information and materials.
- Other duties as assigned.
- This job description is intended to describe the general nature of the work performed by employees in this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all the job's responsibilities. At Driscoll’s, all of our jobs include broad responsibilities for continually improving the processes we use to develop our products.
- Ph.D. degree in plant breeding/genetics; or PhD in other relevant discipline with 3+ years in breeding/genetics. A Master’s degree with 6+ years of progressive development and responsibility in plant breeding will be considered.
- Excellent communication and reporting skills in English and a team player with strong interpersonal communication skills, able to work in a multicultural environment to achieve team goals.
- Passion for and knowledge of both molecular and practical plant breeding.
- Understanding of the application of molecular and analytical technologies in breeding programs, especially in genome-wide selection, trait mapping, and market-assisted breeding, and genomic prediction.
- Understanding of how molecular tools can be used to further plant breeding goals.
- Candidates must be self-disciplined, self-motivated and have good verbal/written communication.
- Must be able to work in a field setting.
- Experience with database management, Excel and statistical software.
- Regular domestic and international travel required.
- A valid passport and the ability to travel internationally without restrictions are also required.
- Bilingual (Spanish) a plus but not required.
Driscoll's is the global market leader for fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. With more than 100 years of farming heritage and hundreds of independent growers around the world, Driscoll's is passionate about growing fresh, beautiful and delicious berries. Our values of humility, passion and trustworthiness have guided our mission to delight consumers around the world.
Driscoll's exclusive patented berry varieties are developed through years of research using only natural breeding methods – meaning, no GMOs. From farm-to-table, we focus on delivering a high quality, premium berry experience with our many supply chain partners.
Driscoll's is the trusted brand for Only the Finest Berries™.
Driscoll's es el proveedor líder en la comercialización de Fresas, Frambuesas, Zarzamoras y Arándanos Azules en el mundo. Con más de 100 años de herencia en agricultura y cientos de productores independiente alrededor del mundo, Driscoll's es una compañía apasionada por cultivar Berries frescas, hermosas y deliciosas. Nuestros valores de humildad, pasión y confianza han guiado nuestra misión de deleitar a los consumidores en el mundo.
Las variedades exclusivas de Driscoll's han sido desarrolladas a través de años de investigación usando sólo métodos de mejoramiento natural. De la granja a la mesa, nos enfocamos en ofrecer una experiencia de alta calidad con apoyo de nuestros socios de la cadena de suministro.
Driscoll's es la marca de confianza de sólo las mejores Berries.