Applied Research Lead US/Baja
- Location: US - Oxnard Arts Ranch
- Job Family: Applied Research
- Time Type: Full time
- Job Requisition ID: R0004215
- Experience Years: 10+ Years of Experience
- Employee Type: Regular
About the OpportunityThe Applied Research Lead US/Baja position will provide leadership to Applied Research programs in Northern & Southern California, Baja, Eastern US and Canada. This position will be responsible for developing research plans that align with business objectives developed by Supply Directors, Berry Leadership and District Managers. Additionally, this position will leverage Global Applied Research Networks to accelerate learnings around deployment of new genetics and optimizing plant type and growing systems across all berry crops. This leadership position requires the ability to manage multiple initiatives, facilitate positive and solution-oriented discussions with key stakeholders, a high-level understanding of plant science and plant physiology in particular, agronomic systems across multiple geographies.
- Provides leadership and vision in developing relevant plant research programs to serve Driscoll’s Business Unit strategies in the US, Canada and Baja
- Leads development of trialing strategies of new selections to identify key strengths and challenges of promising new genetics and effectively communicates opportunities to a broad set of stakeholders
- Leverages Global Research Network to accelerate development of innovative growing systems and deployment of new genetics
- Partners with Nursery Applied Research programs to optimize plant type/growing systems and ensure adequate small plot plant volumes at key breeding stages
- Leads the US, Canada and Baja Applied Research Teams, providing mentorship, direction and motivation while fostering a culture of innovation, agility and passionate curiosity for plants
- Develops talent, both through formal as well as through informal relationships and organizational structures across the Enterprise.
- Maintains a deep understanding of Driscoll’s breeding programs, production systems and production environments, identifying the plant research solutions that augment the genetic value of cultivars.
- Develops training programs that advance Applied Research Teams competences, scientific robustness of research programs and business-oriented plant science acumen.
- Recruit, onboard, and coach staff to ensure robust learning and career development consistent with the Company’s values and rapidly globalizing profile.
- Domestic and international travel required up to 30%.
- Represents Driscoll’s in an ethical and business-like professional manner in all interactions with growers, co-workers, suppliers, customers and the business community at large.
- *This job description is intended to describe the general nature of the work performed by employees in this job.It is not an exhaustive list of all the job's responsibilities. At Driscoll’s, all of our jobs include broad responsibilities for continually improving the processes we use to develop our products.
- PhD in Plant Sciences, Agriculture Science, Horticulture, or related field required
- 10+ years of work experience, preferably with applied research programs focused on practical solutions for growers
- Robust leadership skills and a track record of successfully directing, managing and motivating employees, as well as project teams
- Ability to articulate learnings from both small plot research and practical feedback from growers in larger scale commercial trials across multiple geographies
Preferred Qualifications & Leadership Competencies
- California driver’s license and the ability to be covered under company-sponsored vehicle insurance program
- A valid passport and the ability to travel internationally without restrictions
- Strategic Mindset: Looks toward the future and designs a way to get there
- Cultivates Innovation: Finds, champions, and implements innovations; large or small
- Plans & Aligns: Establishes priorities and desired outcomes and creates plans to achieve them
- Drives Results: Pursues everything with energy, resourcefulness, and the need to achieve desired outcomes
- Collaborates: Works with a variety of colleagues, inside and/or outside of Driscoll’s, seeking win-wins solutions
- Drives Engagement: Creates a motivating work environment and empowers others
- Develops Talent: Actively seeks opportunities to develop one’s self and others
- Courage: Tackles difficult issues timely with optimism and transparency
Driscoll's is the global market leader for fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. With more than 100 years of farming heritage and hundreds of independent growers around the world, Driscoll's is passionate about growing fresh, beautiful and delicious berries. Our values of humility, passion and trustworthiness have guided our mission to delight consumers around the world.
Driscoll's exclusive patented berry varieties are developed through years of research using only natural breeding methods – meaning, no GMOs. From farm-to-table, we focus on delivering a high quality, premium berry experience with our many supply chain partners.
Driscoll's is the trusted brand for Only the Finest Berries™.
Driscoll's es el proveedor líder en la comercialización de Fresas, Frambuesas, Zarzamoras y Arándanos Azules en el mundo. Con más de 100 años de herencia en agricultura y cientos de productores independiente alrededor del mundo, Driscoll's es una compañía apasionada por cultivar Berries frescas, hermosas y deliciosas. Nuestros valores de humildad, pasión y confianza han guiado nuestra misión de deleitar a los consumidores en el mundo.
Las variedades exclusivas de Driscoll's han sido desarrolladas a través de años de investigación usando sólo métodos de mejoramiento natural. De la granja a la mesa, nos enfocamos en ofrecer una experiencia de alta calidad con apoyo de nuestros socios de la cadena de suministro.
Driscoll's es la marca de confianza de sólo las mejores Berries.