Rubus Breeding Intern
- Location: US - Watsonville, California
- Job Family: Administration
- Time Type: Full time
- Job Requisition ID: R0004208
- Experience Years: 0-3 Years of Experience
- Employee Type: Intern
About the OpportunityThe Rubus Summer Intern will work closely with both the Raspberry Breeding Program and the Blackberry Breeding Program in Watsonville, CA. In addition to working on a main project for each program, the intern will participate in the day to day activities of both programs including, but not limited to, seedling selection, fruit evaluation, and phenotyping. Upon completion of the summer internship, a presentation to the Breeding Department summarizing findings is expected. This opportunity will provide exposure to all aspects of a commercial breeding program while working closely with Plant Breeders as well as other scientists including Chemists, and Physiologists in a welcoming research environment.
- The focus for the summer will be a flavor project for the Blackberry and Raspberry Breeding programs. This will involve the use of Brix, chemistry data, and flavor scores to screen germplasm to help develop tools and methods to breed for improved flavor
- Assist in phenotypic data collection in the field for Blackberry and Raspberry Breeding Programs
- Help Blackberry and Raspberry teams in day to day activities such as plant tissue and fruit sample collection, inventory, sample organization and delivery, and seedling selection, among other tasks
- Responsible for managing activities in collaboration with the Blackberry and Raspberry Breeding teams and collaborative research teams including Molecular and Chemistry
- Represent Driscoll’s in an ethical and professional manner in all interactions with growers, co‐workers, suppliers, and customers
- Ensure confidentiality of Driscoll’s proprietary information and materials
- Be currently enrolled in a 4‐year college or university, or in a Graduate Degree program, in Plant Breeding, Horticulture, Plant Science, or similar program
- Have taken some course work in biology, horticulture, plant physiology, pest management, and/or plant genetics
- Ability to use Microsoft Word and Excel effectively; prior experience with R or JMP statistical software package, a plus
- Have an understanding of the scientific method
- Be attentive to details and have high observation skills
- Be able to work in both a research lab and outdoor field environment.
- Have great communication skills
- Be reliable, honest, and trustworthy
- Valid driver’s license and the ability to be covered under company‐sponsored vehicle insurance program
Preferred Qualifications & Leadership Competencies
- Plans & Aligns: Establishes priorities and desired outcomes, and creates plans to achieve them
- Drives Results: Pursues everything with energy, resourcefulness, and the need to achieve desired outcomes
- Collaborates: Works with a variety of colleagues, inside and/or outside of Driscoll’s, seeking win-wins solutions
- Courage: Tackles difficult issues timely with optimism and transparency
Driscoll's is the global market leader for fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. With more than 100 years of farming heritage and hundreds of independent growers around the world, Driscoll's is passionate about growing fresh, beautiful and delicious berries. Our values of humility, passion and trustworthiness have guided our mission to delight consumers around the world.
Driscoll's exclusive patented berry varieties are developed through years of research using only natural breeding methods – meaning, no GMOs. From farm-to-table, we focus on delivering a high quality, premium berry experience with our many supply chain partners.
Driscoll's is the trusted brand for Only the Finest Berries™.
Driscoll's es el proveedor líder en la comercialización de Fresas, Frambuesas, Zarzamoras y Arándanos Azules en el mundo. Con más de 100 años de herencia en agricultura y cientos de productores independiente alrededor del mundo, Driscoll's es una compañía apasionada por cultivar Berries frescas, hermosas y deliciosas. Nuestros valores de humildad, pasión y confianza han guiado nuestra misión de deleitar a los consumidores en el mundo.
Las variedades exclusivas de Driscoll's han sido desarrolladas a través de años de investigación usando sólo métodos de mejoramiento natural. De la granja a la mesa, nos enfocamos en ofrecer una experiencia de alta calidad con apoyo de nuestros socios de la cadena de suministro.
Driscoll's es la marca de confianza de sólo las mejores Berries.