- Location: US - Watsonville, California
- Job Family: Research & Development
- Time Type: Full time
- Job Requisition ID: R0003932
- Experience Years: 3-5 Years of Experience
- Employee Type: Regular
About the OpportunityThe Test Plot Technical Grower will support the District Farm Manager with all aspects of growing operations for Strawberry and Blueberry test plots for the Watsonville and Snelling areas. The main focus of this position will be irrigation, fertilization, environmental data monitoring, pest & disease scouting & management, and new technology implementation.
- Regular field walks to ensure pests and diseases are being managed, plants are healthy and all growing is being done to the utmost quality.
- Manage pest and disease control program, including coordination and rotation of chemical applications.
- Environmental data monitoring and data management including soil water availability, lysimiter Ec and pH, temperature and humidity. Dissemination of data will be used to adjust irrigation, fertilization, acidification and assist in disease forecasting.
- Collect and submit soil, tissue & water sampling. Implement changes based off the interpretation of results.
- Assist in the development of new technologies in the breeding test plots.
- Manage a field technician and/or irrigator. Work very closely with the spray supervisor to schedule application.
- Communicate weekly with internal customers (breeders, entomologists, plant pathologists, and applied researchers) on fertilization, pest/disease management, and other farming duties.
- Ability to work well with all supervisors and employees at a ranch level.
- Follow operating budgets by purchasing, tracking, and coding farming expenses.
- Follow Company policies and practices while representing Driscoll’s in an ethical and business-like manner in all interactions with employees, governmental agencies, growers, customers, etc.
- Ensure the security of Driscoll’s confidential and proprietary information and materials.
- *This job description is intended to describe the general nature of the work performed by employees in this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all the jobs responsibilities. At Driscoll’s, all of our jobs include broad responsibilities for continually improving the processes we use to develop our products.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Agronomy, Horticulture, or Crop Sciences with 1-3 years experience.
- If no degree must have 5+ years of practical agricultural experience. Experience with berry crops strongly preferred.
- Experience with Strawberry and Blueberry farming practices strongly preferred. Experience with all berry types a bonus.
- Demonstrated planning experience and working knowledge of farm infrastructure.
- Strong foundation in production agriculture and agronomic sciences.
- Ability to work in the field, office and corporate settings, including the ability to perform repetitive physical work as necessary.
- Ability to manage assets, including equipment, labor.
- Pesticide Control Advisor (PCA) and Certified Crop Advisor (CCA) not required but preferred.
- Private Applicator Certificate (PAC) or ability to obtain required.
- Experience with research protocols; knowledge of plant physiology, health and pest pressure assessment, knowledge of soils/water and agricultural practices.
- Proficiency with computer programs (Excel, PowerPoint, word, Outlook).
- Self-starter, hands-on, ability to work independently and work well with teams.
- Detail-oriented, effective verbal and written skills, good organizational, math, chemistry and analytical ability.
- Workplace communication in both English and Spanish strongly preferred.
- Results and solutions oriented.
- Open attitude to try new systems and new technologies in farming.
- Effective collaborator across multiple departments.
- Work extended hours and weekends intermittently.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. Work in outdoor conditions with variable temperature and weather conditions.
- California Driver’s license and the ability to be covered under company-sponsored vehicle insurance program required.
- Some travel required.
Driscoll's is the global market leader for fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. With more than 100 years of farming heritage and hundreds of independent growers around the world, Driscoll's is passionate about growing fresh, beautiful and delicious berries. Our values of humility, passion and trustworthiness have guided our mission to delight consumers around the world.
Driscoll's exclusive patented berry varieties are developed through years of research using only natural breeding methods – meaning, no GMOs. From farm-to-table, we focus on delivering a high quality, premium berry experience with our many supply chain partners.
Driscoll's is the trusted brand for Only the Finest Berries™.
Driscoll's es el proveedor líder en la comercialización de Fresas, Frambuesas, Zarzamoras y Arándanos Azules en el mundo. Con más de 100 años de herencia en agricultura y cientos de productores independiente alrededor del mundo, Driscoll's es una compañía apasionada por cultivar Berries frescas, hermosas y deliciosas. Nuestros valores de humildad, pasión y confianza han guiado nuestra misión de deleitar a los consumidores en el mundo.
Las variedades exclusivas de Driscoll's han sido desarrolladas a través de años de investigación usando sólo métodos de mejoramiento natural. De la granja a la mesa, nos enfocamos en ofrecer una experiencia de alta calidad con apoyo de nuestros socios de la cadena de suministro.
Driscoll's es la marca de confianza de sólo las mejores Berries.