Sr. Manager, Food Safety Systems and R&D
- Location: US - Watsonville, California
- Job Family: Food Safety
- Time Type: Full time
- Job Requisition ID: R0003914
- Experience Years: 5-10 Years of Experience
- Employee Type: Regular
About the OpportunityThe Sr. Manager, Food Safety Systems and R&D provides expert technical and systems support to the Driscoll’s Enterprise in Food Safety and related programs. The position is a Driscoll’s subject matter expert in microbiological and chemical food safety, working with business, grower, R&D and external stakeholders to identify and evaluate new and emerging issues, support root cause investigations and coordinate issue management activities. The position will lead key program areas, including Driscoll’s training and development and compliance culture efforts in food safety and compliance, the development and coordinate of our external engagement strategy, and consumer complaint management. The position supports risk analysis of new and existing processes, working with other functions to investigate new technologies and strategies for food safety management. The position will evaluate the risks and relevant controls associated with the outgoing supply chain to the consumer, interacting with other food safety experts in distribution, third party product management, retail, food service and wholesale customers. The position will provide and coordinate subject matter support to the Americas as well as other global business units and R&D where needed.
- BS degree in Microbiology, Food Science / Food Technology, Food Microbiology or related fields. MS or Ph.D. preferred.
- 10 years of food microbiology experience in industry.
- Must have strong knowledge and understanding of Good Hygienic Practices, Sanitation, Hygienic design principles, and basic food technology.
- Self-driven, motivated and result-oriented with ability to perform well in a team environment, independently and remotely.
- Recognized industry expert in industrial hygiene.
- Strong demonstrated verbal / written communications (with technical and non-technical functions), analytical and problem-solving skills. Must be detailed and results oriented.
- Strong demonstrated leadership, interpersonal, and self-initiative skills. Exemplifies the Driscoll’s values of passion, honesty and trustworthiness.
- Seasoned project Management skills, including work plan development, budgeting and presentation skills.
- Experience designing and delivering high-impact training.
- PC proficiency in Windows-based applications: Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Experience with direct and/or indirect people management and leading others.
- Minimum of 10 years in produce or food processing operations, including > 7 years’ experience in Quality Management, Food Safety and Industrial Hygiene.
- Provides expert support in the evaluation of new and emerging food safety issues.
- Provides and coordinates support to the business and R&D in the evaluation of food safety and compliance issues associated with new products and processes and changes to existing products and processes. Evaluates pre- and post-harvest food safety management strategies.
- Coordinates appropriate management and communication of internal and external issues and crises.
- Evaluates risks and controls associated with outgoing supply chain, interacting with experts from transportation, distribution, retail, food service and wholesale
- Coordinates external engagement strategy to ensure coverage by food safety and compliance team, communication of activities and leveraging of external relationships where needed.
- Coordinates training program for facilities, growers and district personnel across DOTA in food safety and compliance topics. Works with internal and external experts to identify existing training materials and to develop and implement effective training programs.
- Maintains an overview of regulatory and technical status of hygiene-related issues and relevant DOTA programs.
- Ensures appropriate response and follow up to food safety and compliance related consumer complaints.
- As a recognized industry expert, works with peers, academic and regulatory experts to develop and update industry and regulatory guidance and standards in program areas.
- Coordinates Driscoll’s global expert network in Food Safety.
- Leads key projects and participates in relevant projects in food safety and compliance.
- Coordinates collection and communication of key metrics for food safety and compliance.
- Maintains awareness of current research and developments in produce safety. Applies relevant learning to Driscoll’s programs.
- Maintains effective, timely communications regarding hygiene or other food safety concerns.
- 30 % of work time travel to domestic and international sites
- Must have valid passport.
Driscoll's is the global market leader for fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. With more than 100 years of farming heritage and hundreds of independent growers around the world, Driscoll's is passionate about growing fresh, beautiful and delicious berries. Our values of humility, passion and trustworthiness have guided our mission to delight consumers around the world.
Driscoll's exclusive patented berry varieties are developed through years of research using only natural breeding methods – meaning, no GMOs. From farm-to-table, we focus on delivering a high quality, premium berry experience with our many supply chain partners.
Driscoll's is the trusted brand for Only the Finest Berries™.
Driscoll's es el proveedor líder en la comercialización de Fresas, Frambuesas, Zarzamoras y Arándanos Azules en el mundo. Con más de 100 años de herencia en agricultura y cientos de productores independiente alrededor del mundo, Driscoll's es una compañía apasionada por cultivar Berries frescas, hermosas y deliciosas. Nuestros valores de humildad, pasión y confianza han guiado nuestra misión de deleitar a los consumidores en el mundo.
Las variedades exclusivas de Driscoll's han sido desarrolladas a través de años de investigación usando sólo métodos de mejoramiento natural. De la granja a la mesa, nos enfocamos en ofrecer una experiencia de alta calidad con apoyo de nuestros socios de la cadena de suministro.
Driscoll's es la marca de confianza de sólo las mejores Berries.