Southern District Agronomist
- Location: US - Oxnard Arts Ranch
- Job Family: Applied Research
- Time Type: Full time
- Job Requisition ID: R0003900
- Experience Years: 0-3 Years of Experience
- Employee Type: Regular
About the OpportunityDriscoll’s produces the finest berries in the world. Sharing the benefits of our extensive research and development efforts, along with best farming practices and the latest technology with our partner growers are the key responsibilities of this role. Substrate and Organic growing for berries is an important technology for the future, and is just one of the opportunities that the Agronomist will have to help our partner growers improve the quality and production of Driscoll’s Berries. The position will spend a large percentage of time in the field, working directly with growers and ranch managers extending cultural practices and new technologies. This position will also be essential for the commercialization of new cultivars, tracking/documenting them in the field, engaging in extension and outreach and improving overall grower performance. An Agronomist I solves agronomic problems by consulting with internal/external experts, utilizing existing Best Management Practices and relying on technical skill set to address basic issues.
- Regularly visit production fields to understand production methods, cycles, and support growers with technical advice on pest & disease management, irrigation & fertilization and other cultural practices.
- Solves agronomic problems by consulting with internal/external experts, utilizing existing BMPs and relying on technical skill set to address basic issues.
- Monitor, evaluate and propose improvements of farming techniques of new cultivars prior to commercial release; documenting information for Production Guides and other reports.
- Assists with implementation of innovative grower projects and documentation of crop performance for Best Management Practices and other reports. Develop technical skills from interaction with supervisors, subject matter experts and grower partners.
- Identify district farming challenges and opportunities in collaboration with Local Commercialization Team and growers.
- Assist with coordination of agronomic support across district team.
- Participates in coordinating growers tours, grower meetings and in general fosters an environment of knowledge sharing amongst growers and Driscoll’s technical network
- Follow Company policies and practices while representing Driscoll’s in an ethical and business-like manner in all interactions with employees, governmental agencies, growers, customers, etc.
- Ensure the security of Driscoll’s confidential and proprietary information and materials
- Other duties as assigned*
- *This job description is intended to describe the general nature of the work performed by employees in this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all the job's responsibilities. At Driscoll’s, all of our jobs include broad responsibilities for continually improving the processes we use to develop our products.
- Bachelors in Agronomy, Plant Sciences or Horticulture with a minimum of two years of relevant experience.
- Passion for plants and agronomy is essential.
- Knowledge scouting and identifying pest & diseases in berry crops.
- Ability to calculate water demand and propose irrigation scheduling.
- Collect and interpret soil, substrate, water and plant tissue sample’s lab results.
- Build and adjust fertilization programs.
- PCA/CCA licenses preferred or obtain while in position.
- Able to partner with growers by identifying their needs, finding solutions and influencing change.
- Spanish/English fluency is required, reading and writing in a bilingual environment.
- Demonstrate effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Advanced Internet and Microsoft Office computer experience.
- Strong organizational skills with ability to do multiple tasks and solve problems with a sense of urgency with minimal supervision.
- Needs to be dependable, reliable, self-starter, and able to work independently as well as a member of a team.
- Able to lift 40 pounds, ability to work in field conditions.
- Travel to local and regional farms will be required on a daily basis, with occasional longer distance domestic and international.
- California driver’s license and the ability to be covered under company-sponsored vehicle insurance program are also required.
- A valid passport and the ability to travel internationally without restrictions are also required.
Driscoll's is the global market leader for fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. With more than 100 years of farming heritage and hundreds of independent growers around the world, Driscoll's is passionate about growing fresh, beautiful and delicious berries. Our values of humility, passion and trustworthiness have guided our mission to delight consumers around the world.
Driscoll's exclusive patented berry varieties are developed through years of research using only natural breeding methods – meaning, no GMOs. From farm-to-table, we focus on delivering a high quality, premium berry experience with our many supply chain partners.
Driscoll's is the trusted brand for Only the Finest Berries™.
Driscoll's es el proveedor líder en la comercialización de Fresas, Frambuesas, Zarzamoras y Arándanos Azules en el mundo. Con más de 100 años de herencia en agricultura y cientos de productores independiente alrededor del mundo, Driscoll's es una compañía apasionada por cultivar Berries frescas, hermosas y deliciosas. Nuestros valores de humildad, pasión y confianza han guiado nuestra misión de deleitar a los consumidores en el mundo.
Las variedades exclusivas de Driscoll's han sido desarrolladas a través de años de investigación usando sólo métodos de mejoramiento natural. De la granja a la mesa, nos enfocamos en ofrecer una experiencia de alta calidad con apoyo de nuestros socios de la cadena de suministro.
Driscoll's es la marca de confianza de sólo las mejores Berries.