Food Safety & Compliance Manager, Central California
- Location: US - Watsonville, California
- Job Family: Food Safety
- Time Type: Full time
- Job Requisition ID: R0003845
- Experience Years: 3-5 Years of Experience
- Employee Type: Regular
About the OpportunityWe are seeking an outstanding individual as a Food Safety and Compliance Manager for a leadership role on our corporate team responsible for Food Safety, Regulatory and Social Compliance in our strawberry, blueberry, blackberry and raspberry operations. Must have Food Safety and Compliance experience and have a Bachelor's Degree in food science, agriculture, microbiology or related science and minimum of 3 years’ experience in food safety in agricultural or food production. As Food Safety Manager, you will ensure the assessment of risk and implementation of Good Agricultural and Good Harvesting Practices amongst our growing and harvesting operations, as well as ensure that packing houses and distribution centers follow Good Manufacturing Practices. The position also supports organic and worker welfare compliance. This position works closely with Production, Field Operations, Receiving, Shipping, Inventory, and Maintenance departments to manage the daily production environment. This position is based in Watsonville, CA and services the Watsonville / Salinas district, supports other regions of California, such as the San Joaquin Valley and other districts as needed. The position reports to the Director, Operational Food Safety, Regulatory and Social Compliance, US and Canada.
- Provides supervision to Food Safety Representatives, relevant temporary and seasonal support for the district.
- Prepares and advises growers regarding food safety requirements and third-party audits across Central California, interfacing with 40-50 growers and with 6-8 pack houses
- Supports compliance activities for organic integrity, regulatory and worker welfare in the region
- Interprets internal/external business challenges and recommends best practices to improve implementation of Good Agricultural Practices (GAPs) and Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs)
- Coordinates third party audit schedules for facilities and field operations and ensures that company representatives are available and prepared to conduct the audits
- Influences, advises and prepares the company audit response and corrective action plans within the required time frame
- Assists with troubleshooting food safety issues
- Partners with, and influences Growing and Manufacturing operations to perform verification of Good Agricultural Practices (GAPs) and Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs) by conducting regular field and facility inspections
- Conducts internal GAP and GMP audits
- Ensures all Company food safety policies and SOPs are being followed
- Conducts “mock” recall exercises to demonstrate product recall efficiency and effectiveness
- Effectively trains and communicates food safety policies to all company employees and growers
- Maintains high quality and thorough compliance records related to food safety programs
- Ensures routine equipment swabbing and analysis of results
- Manages field fruit product and water sampling processes to meet company, audit and government standards
- Supports evaluation of new equipment and facilities, and new product concepts
- Engages with and accompanies customers and 3rd party auditors on field audits and inspections
- Attends meetings, industry events, and continuing education classes focused on Food Safety and effectiveness leadership
- Maintains updated food safety certification for all growing regions
- *This job description is intended to describe the general nature of the work performed by employees in this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all the job’s responsibilities. At Driscoll’s, all of our jobs include broad responsibilities for continually improving processes we use to develop our products.
- Bachelor's Degree in food science, agriculture, microbiology
- Knowledge of food safety and sanitation
- Knowledge of Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points (HACCP) principles
- Knowledge of Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA)
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in food safety
- Valid Driver’s License
- Must be able to travel to various job locations in US, Canada and Mexico
- Ability to lift heavy objects: 20-30 lbs
- Strong organizational (tracking, time management and reporting) skills
- Demonstrated proficiency in computer applications such as Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook, and Statistical software. Experience in Data Management and Data Entry
- Ability to work both collaboratively with Production, Auditors, Labs and Food Safety team members
- Ability to work independently in a remote team environment
- Demonstration of leadership skills and ability to lead Food Safety Representative (s) and other stakeholders
- Detail oriented and able to follow through on tasks
- Ability to work 45-50 hours per week (including weekends, when needed) during season
- Bilingual: English/Spanish is a plus
- Ability to multitask
- Quick learner and forward thinker
- Ability to create and implement a schedule
Driscoll's is the global market leader for fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. With more than 100 years of farming heritage and hundreds of independent growers around the world, Driscoll's is passionate about growing fresh, beautiful and delicious berries. Our values of humility, passion and trustworthiness have guided our mission to delight consumers around the world.
Driscoll's exclusive patented berry varieties are developed through years of research using only natural breeding methods – meaning, no GMOs. From farm-to-table, we focus on delivering a high quality, premium berry experience with our many supply chain partners.
Driscoll's is the trusted brand for Only the Finest Berries™.
Driscoll's es el proveedor líder en la comercialización de Fresas, Frambuesas, Zarzamoras y Arándanos Azules en el mundo. Con más de 100 años de herencia en agricultura y cientos de productores independiente alrededor del mundo, Driscoll's es una compañía apasionada por cultivar Berries frescas, hermosas y deliciosas. Nuestros valores de humildad, pasión y confianza han guiado nuestra misión de deleitar a los consumidores en el mundo.
Las variedades exclusivas de Driscoll's han sido desarrolladas a través de años de investigación usando sólo métodos de mejoramiento natural. De la granja a la mesa, nos enfocamos en ofrecer una experiencia de alta calidad con apoyo de nuestros socios de la cadena de suministro.
Driscoll's es la marca de confianza de sólo las mejores Berries.