Senior Agronomist - Northern District
- Location: US - Watsonville, California
- Job Family: Applied Research
- Time Type: Full time
- Job Requisition ID: R0003764
- Experience Years: 5-10 Years of Experience
- Employee Type: Regular
About the OpportunityDriscoll’s produces the finest berries in the world. Sharing the benefits of our extensive research and variety development efforts, along with best practices and the latest technology with our partner growers are the key responsibilities of this role. Substrate and controlled environment growing for berries is an important technology for the future and is just one of the opportunities that the Sr. Agronomist will have to help our partner growers improve the quality and production of Driscoll’s Berries. The Northern District Sr. Agronomist will spend a large percentage of time in the field, working directly with growers and ranch managers extending improved cultural practices and new technologies focused on substrate farming. This position will also be essential for the commercialization of new cultivars, engaging in extension education and outreach through workshops and meetings while fostering an environment of knowledge sharing amongst growers and Driscoll’s technical network to improve overall grower performance. The Sr. Agronomist is able to troubleshoot emerging agronomic problems challenging growers through an integrated approach drawing upon multiple technical fields. This position would also lead district agronomic support by identifying grower needs, understanding company strategic supply objectives and providing a wide breath and scope of technical expertise to address key issues.
- Regularly visit production fields to understand and influence production methods, cycles, and support growers with technical advice on field setup, fertigation, IPM, plant trellising/manipulation. Special emphasis supporting strawberry growers with new varieties and organic cultivation.
- Engage in Water and Nutrient regulatory technical field implementation, including drainage water capture and recirculation systems as well as nitrogen management plans.
- Monitor, evaluate and improve farming techniques of new cultivars of strawberries at On Farm Trials prior to commercial release optimizing and expediting genetic deployment together with Local Commercialization Team. Document/extend Production Guides of commercial varieties with grower partners.
- Documents new achievements and information on Best Management Practices, related to (and not limited) nursery plant types, farming systems and contributes to other relevant extension documentation like Driscoll’s Production Manuals.
- Provide creditable advice for local agronomy issues.
- Able to troubleshoot emerging agronomic problems challenging growers.
- Identify district farming challenges and opportunities in collaboration with Local Commercialization team and growers to influence Strategic Plan and improve overall crop P&L.
- Leads district agronomic support by identifying grower needs, understanding company strategic supply objectives and providing a wide breath and scope of technical expertise to address key issues.
- Leads growers tours, grower meetings and in general fosters an environment of knowledge sharing amongst growers and Driscoll’s technical network
- Follow Company policies and practices while representing Driscoll’s in an ethical and business-like manner in all interactions with employees, governmental agencies, growers, customers, etc.
- Ensure the security of Driscoll’s confidential and proprietary information and materials
- Other duties as assigned*
- *This job description is intended to describe the general nature of the work performed by employees in this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all the job's responsibilities. At Driscoll’s, all of our jobs include broad responsibilities for continually improving the processes we use to develop our products.
- BS in Agronomy, Plant Sciences, Horticulture or equivalent with a minimum of 12 years relevant experience. A MS in Agronomy, Plant Sciences, Horticulture or equivalent with a minimum 8 years of relevant experience. A PhD in Agronomy, Plant Sciences, Horticulture or equivalent with a minimum 5 years of relevant experience.
- Strong background in agronomic extension communication.
- Passion for plants and agronomy is essential.
- Strong technical/production skillset including plant physiology, fertility, pest and disease management required.
- Strong technical/production skillset in substrate growing systems, including recirculation and water treatment systems desired.
- Able to partner with growers by identifying their needs, finding solutions and influencing change.
- Spanish/English fluency is required with particular emphasis on reading and writing in a bilingual environment.
- Demonstrate effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Advanced Internet and Microsoft Office computer experience.
- Strong organizational skills with ability to do multiple tasks and solve problems with a sense of urgency with minimal supervision.
- Needs to be dependable, reliable, Self-starter, and able to work independently as well as a member of a team.
- Able to lift 40 pounds, ability to work in field conditions.
- Travel to local and regional farms will be required on a daily basis, with occasional longer distance domestic and international.
- California driver’s license and the ability to be covered under company-sponsored vehicle insurance program are also required.
- A valid passport and the ability to travel internationally without restrictions are also required.
Driscoll's is the global market leader for fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. With more than 100 years of farming heritage and hundreds of independent growers around the world, Driscoll's is passionate about growing fresh, beautiful and delicious berries. Our values of humility, passion and trustworthiness have guided our mission to delight consumers around the world.
Driscoll's exclusive patented berry varieties are developed through years of research using only natural breeding methods – meaning, no GMOs. From farm-to-table, we focus on delivering a high quality, premium berry experience with our many supply chain partners.
Driscoll's is the trusted brand for Only the Finest Berries™.
Driscoll's es el proveedor líder en la comercialización de Fresas, Frambuesas, Zarzamoras y Arándanos Azules en el mundo. Con más de 100 años de herencia en agricultura y cientos de productores independiente alrededor del mundo, Driscoll's es una compañía apasionada por cultivar Berries frescas, hermosas y deliciosas. Nuestros valores de humildad, pasión y confianza han guiado nuestra misión de deleitar a los consumidores en el mundo.
Las variedades exclusivas de Driscoll's han sido desarrolladas a través de años de investigación usando sólo métodos de mejoramiento natural. De la granja a la mesa, nos enfocamos en ofrecer una experiencia de alta calidad con apoyo de nuestros socios de la cadena de suministro.
Driscoll's es la marca de confianza de sólo las mejores Berries.