Host Resistance - Research Associate II
- Location: US - Watsonville, California
- Job Family: Research & Development
- Time Type: Full time
- Job Requisition ID: R0003669
- Experience Years: 3-5 Years of Experience
- Employee Type: Regular
About the OpportunityThe successful candidate will conduct and develop assays to characterize berry plant response to a range of diseases and pests. This role serves to phenotype plant responses to different biotic stresses in order to characterize commercial and prebreeding material and to enable the discovery of molecular markers for breeding. This is a great opportunity to utilize existing discipline knowledge and experience while furthering developing pathology and entomology skills in collaboration with breeding, molecular science, and crop protection professionals.
- Plant resistance assays: With a moderate level of guidance plan and carry out resistance assays for key target pathogens and other biotic stresses on all berry crops. Conduct inoculations, maintain plants, and evaluate response in trials.
- Data management: Capture and manage accurate data for reporting. Timely delivery of data to senior scientist and communicating any appropriate observations that should inform analysis.
- Maintain good relationships with peers and coworkers. Be able to move work forward by working independently or as a collaborative team member depending on project. Pursue host resistance work while building knowledge of the company, processes and customers to maximize connectivity within enterprise and drive benefit realization.
- General plant pathology, entomology, and laboratory work: Be willing and strive for excellence in procedures to support Plant Health team goals, maintain facilities, and other duties as assigned.
- Some travel may be required but would not exceed 10% of time.
- Represents Driscoll’s in an ethical and business-like professional manner in all interactions with growers, co-workers, suppliers, customers and the business community at large.
- Bachelor’s degree in a pest science, plant science, microbiology, or related field with at least 2 years’ experience relevant to position OR Master’s degree in Plant Pathology, Entomology, Plant Medicine, or other relevant to biotic stress phenotyping
- Knowledge of plant cultivation
- Detail oriented and developed and demonstrated organization skills
- Can be productive with moderate level of guidance once trained on a task and able to solve common problems with existing knowledge
- English fluency
- California driver’s license and ability to be covered under company vehicle insurance
- Familiarity with microbiological techniques and disease resistance assays
- Enjoys working in laboratory, greenhouse, and crop fields
- A desire to learn and grow
- Effective communication skills. Explain complex information in a straightforward manner.
- Hold valid passport. Willingness for occasional travel.
Driscoll's is the global market leader for fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. With more than 100 years of farming heritage and hundreds of independent growers around the world, Driscoll's is passionate about growing fresh, beautiful and delicious berries. Our values of humility, passion and trustworthiness have guided our mission to delight consumers around the world.
Driscoll's exclusive patented berry varieties are developed through years of research using only natural breeding methods – meaning, no GMOs. From farm-to-table, we focus on delivering a high quality, premium berry experience with our many supply chain partners.
Driscoll's is the trusted brand for Only the Finest Berries™.
Driscoll's es el proveedor líder en la comercialización de Fresas, Frambuesas, Zarzamoras y Arándanos Azules en el mundo. Con más de 100 años de herencia en agricultura y cientos de productores independiente alrededor del mundo, Driscoll's es una compañía apasionada por cultivar Berries frescas, hermosas y deliciosas. Nuestros valores de humildad, pasión y confianza han guiado nuestra misión de deleitar a los consumidores en el mundo.
Las variedades exclusivas de Driscoll's han sido desarrolladas a través de años de investigación usando sólo métodos de mejoramiento natural. De la granja a la mesa, nos enfocamos en ofrecer una experiencia de alta calidad con apoyo de nuestros socios de la cadena de suministro.
Driscoll's es la marca de confianza de sólo las mejores Berries.