Food Safety & Compliance Representative II
- Location: US - Watsonville, California
- Job Family: Food Safety
- Time Type: Full time
- Job Requisition ID: R0003614
- Experience Years: 3-5 Years of Experience
- Employee Type: Regular
About the OpportunityWe are seeking an outstanding individual as a Food Safety and Compliance Representative II for a leadership role on our Food Safety, Regulatory and Social Compliance team. This position ensures the assessment of risk and implementation of Good Manufacturing and Good Hygienic Practices at our distribution, cooling and packing operations in the associated region. The position also supports organic and worker welfare compliance programs. This Food Safety Representative works closely with Driscoll’s Food Safety Team, Cooler leadership and Personnel Growers, Regional Production and Supply Chain teams to execute Driscoll’s Food Safety and Compliance Program.
- Maintain facility food safety plans
- Implement processes to verify facility hygiene, including the facility environmental monitoring program
- Conduct and coordinate training in good hygienic practices, facility hygiene, cleaning and sanitation and pest control programs
- Lead or participate in hygienic design reviews of facility and equipment
- Implement, maintain and verify facility programs for organic integrity
- Support implementation and verification of facility worker welfare program
- Maintain and verify integrated pest control program for facility
- Manage local relationship with cleaning and sanitation and pest control providers
- Coordinate preparation, execution and follow up of third-party audits for food safety and organic integrity
- Conduct internal audits of facility programs.
- Verify completion of corrective actions
- Coordinate program roll out, communication and food safety and organic compliance verification for third-party coolers and pack lines
- Provide input to food safety, organic integrity and worker welfare functional leads on status of program and any needed modifications.
- Lead investigation of food safety and organic integrity issues for facilities and support investigation of grower issues
- Conduct projects, as needed, on food safety and organic integrity topics
- Train the sanitation crew for proper cleaning and sanitation of operation equipment:
- Blueberry Packing Lines
- Know the procedure if organic fruit is run the through the pack line
- Quality Assurance Tables
- Food Contact Surfaces
- ATP testing and verification of sanitation
- Any corrective actions as a result of “out of range” findings
- Verification and log solutions used
- Make sure that proper labels are used on any secondary containers.
- Review chemical logs and SDS at least weekly
- Ensure that chemicals are segregated for Food Grade and Non-Food Grade while stored
- Ensure adequate supply of chemicals are on hand at all times
- Ensure any new chemicals that are to be used in organic facilities are approved and on the National List as well as our Driscoll’s Handler List
- Periodically walkthrough facility to ensure that Hygiene Policy/GMPs are being followed
- Follow up with any needed corrective actions and training
- Ensure dedicated locations for product on hold or that is organic is in the correct location with proper signage
- Discuss during Food Safety Meetings
- Ensure visitors are informed of GMPs/Hygiene Policy before entering operational areas
- Communicate with Facility Manager, Organic Manager, Industrial Hygiene Manager and/or local Food Safety Representative for any equipment needs or concerns.
*This job description is intended to describe the general nature of the work performed by employees in this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all the job’s responsibilities. At Driscoll’s, all of our jobs include broad responsibilities for continually improving.
- Bachelor of Science degree (preferably with emphasis on microbiology and/or food science).
- 3-5 years’ experience in Agriculture with emphasis on Food Safety, Microbiology, GAPs, and GMPs preferred.
- Knowledge of food safety and sanitation
- Knowledge of Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP)
- Knowledge of Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA)
- Strong organizational (tracking, time management and reporting) skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, interpersonal skills, self-starter
- Strong leadership skills
- Demonstrated proficiency in computer applications such as Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook, and Statistical software. Experience in Data Management and Data Entry
- Ability to work collaboratively with Production, Auditors, Laboratories and Food Safety and compliance team members and subject matter experts
- Quick learner and forward thinker
- Bilingual preferred: English/Spanish
- Valid driver’s license and the ability to be covered under company-sponsored vehicle insurance program are also required
- Requires local travel (approx. 30 %) and some international travel (15%)
Driscoll's is the global market leader for fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. With more than 100 years of farming heritage and hundreds of independent growers around the world, Driscoll's is passionate about growing fresh, beautiful and delicious berries. Our values of humility, passion and trustworthiness have guided our mission to delight consumers around the world.
Driscoll's exclusive patented berry varieties are developed through years of research using only natural breeding methods – meaning, no GMOs. From farm-to-table, we focus on delivering a high quality, premium berry experience with our many supply chain partners.
Driscoll's is the trusted brand for Only the Finest Berries™.
Driscoll's es el proveedor líder en la comercialización de Fresas, Frambuesas, Zarzamoras y Arándanos Azules en el mundo. Con más de 100 años de herencia en agricultura y cientos de productores independiente alrededor del mundo, Driscoll's es una compañía apasionada por cultivar Berries frescas, hermosas y deliciosas. Nuestros valores de humildad, pasión y confianza han guiado nuestra misión de deleitar a los consumidores en el mundo.
Las variedades exclusivas de Driscoll's han sido desarrolladas a través de años de investigación usando sólo métodos de mejoramiento natural. De la granja a la mesa, nos enfocamos en ofrecer una experiencia de alta calidad con apoyo de nuestros socios de la cadena de suministro.
Driscoll's es la marca de confianza de sólo las mejores Berries.