Director Global Plant Research
- Location: US - Watsonville, California
- Job Family: Applied Research
- Time Type: Full time
- Job Requisition ID: R0003601
- Experience Years: 10+ Years of Experience
- Employee Type: Regular
About the OpportunityThe Director of Global Plant Research will lead Driscoll’s Global R&D Plant Physiology Team on the identification, development and deployment of critical plant propagation, fruit production and variety research. This will be achieved through an informed vision of business needs, risks, opportunities, and technologies, generating research solutions to production needs, as well as foundational plant science work that enables regional applied research development. This leadership position requires the ability to manage multiple initiatives, facilitate positive and solution-oriented discussions with key stakeholders, a high-level understanding of plant science and plant physiology in particular, agronomic systems, and organizational and compliance requirements across multiple geographies. The implementation of strategy and multi-regional level impact programs is a key function.
- Provides leadership and vision in developing relevant plant research programs to serve Driscoll’s global business units and to support all breeding programs
- Leads the Global R&D Plant Physiology Team, providing mentorship, direction, motivation and courage
- Develops talent, both through formal as well as through informal relationships and organizational structures across the Enterprise
- Collaborates with the Global Technology Transfer Team and with the regional Applied Research teams to ensure deployment of technologies and information to growers globally
- Maintains a deep understanding of Driscoll’s breeding programs, production systems and production environments, identifying the plant research solutions that augment the genetic value of genetic cultivars
- Mentors and provides technical stewardship to regional applied research teams, developing training programs that advance their competences, their scientific robustness and business-oriented plant science acumen
- Manages global portfolio of research projects, ensuring synergies across projects.
- Leads collaboration relationships with universities, industry institutions and other research programs
- Develops strategies to provide foundational knowledge to regional nurseries.
- Leads Driscoll’s Controlled Environment Agriculture programs
- Actively participates in Global R&D Management Team
- Ensures the security of Driscoll’s confidential and proprietary information and materials
- PhD in Plant Sciences, Agriculture Science, Horticulture, or related field required
- 10+ years of work experience, preferably with both academia and industry relevant background
- Robust experience developing plant science research programs, preferably with ample GxExM component and applications in diverse production environments
- Proficiency developing both foundational as well as applied research programs
- Robust leadership skills and a track record of successfully directing, managing and motivating employees, as well as project teams
- Experience developing plant science solutions in support of breeding programs
- Ability to mentor, teach and communicate with excellence and clarity
- Courageous, creative and conceptual thinker with practical planning skills
- Entrepreneurial attributes, not risk-adverse, notably humble and absolutely passionate about plants
- Ability to work with key internal stakeholders and manage multiple projects across the enterprise
- Ability to develop process, manage multiple projects, and measure results
- Ability to work with others at a high and collaborative level
- Ability to turn plans into reality
- A valid passport and the ability to travel internationally without restrictions are also required
Driscoll's is the global market leader for fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. With more than 100 years of farming heritage and hundreds of independent growers around the world, Driscoll's is passionate about growing fresh, beautiful and delicious berries. Our values of humility, passion and trustworthiness have guided our mission to delight consumers around the world.
Driscoll's exclusive patented berry varieties are developed through years of research using only natural breeding methods – meaning, no GMOs. From farm-to-table, we focus on delivering a high quality, premium berry experience with our many supply chain partners.
Driscoll's is the trusted brand for Only the Finest Berries™.
Driscoll's es el proveedor líder en la comercialización de Fresas, Frambuesas, Zarzamoras y Arándanos Azules en el mundo. Con más de 100 años de herencia en agricultura y cientos de productores independiente alrededor del mundo, Driscoll's es una compañía apasionada por cultivar Berries frescas, hermosas y deliciosas. Nuestros valores de humildad, pasión y confianza han guiado nuestra misión de deleitar a los consumidores en el mundo.
Las variedades exclusivas de Driscoll's han sido desarrolladas a través de años de investigación usando sólo métodos de mejoramiento natural. De la granja a la mesa, nos enfocamos en ofrecer una experiencia de alta calidad con apoyo de nuestros socios de la cadena de suministro.
Driscoll's es la marca de confianza de sólo las mejores Berries.