Substrate Technical Grower
- Location: US - Watsonville, California
- Job Family: Research & Development
- Time Type: Full time
- Job Requisition ID: R0003535
- Experience Years: 0-3 Years of Experience
- Employee Type: Regular
About the OpportunityDriscoll’s operates a several research farms which form a critical part of the overall business. The Technical Grower supports the Farm Manager in growing high quality crops for the breeders and other researchers. Responsibilities include all aspects of growing operations for raspberry, blackberry, blueberry and strawberry substrate test plots for the Watsonville area. The focus of this position will be irrigation, fertilization, environmental data monitoring, pest & disease management, new technology implementation, and running an advanced irrigation system. Collaborating well with over a dozen breeders and researchers in performing the farming of their trials is key to this role.
Oversee operation of complex irrigation system (Priva).
Appropriate and timely irrigation practices based upon tensiometer readings, lysimeter measurements, weather, stage of growth, and general plant observations.
Create fertility recipes based on plant physiological state and tissue & water samples.
Ensure correct EC, pH and fertility are maintained in correct ranges through daily data collection and proper maintenance of irrigation system.
Communicate weekly with internal customers (breeders, entomologists, plant pathologists, and applied researchers) on fertilization, pest/disease management, and other farming duties.
Manage irrigation technician team by coordinating daily and weekly tasks, tracking hours and supporting employee development.
Manage pest and disease control program, including scouting and coordination of chemical applications.
Assist the with oversight and execution of implementing new technologies in the research farm.
Ability to work well with all supervisors and employees at a ranch level.
Follow operating budgets by purchasing, tracking, and coding farming expenses.
Follow Company policies and practices while representing Driscoll’s in an ethical and business-like manner in all interactions with employees, governmental agencies, growers, customers, etc.
Ensure the security of Driscoll’s confidential and proprietary information and materials.
This job description is intended to describe the general nature of the work performed by employees in this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all the jobs responsibilities. At Driscoll’s, all our jobs include broad responsibilities for continually improving the processes we use to develop our products.
- Bachelor’s degree in agriculture related field with 1-3 years’ experience.
- If no degree must have 5+ years of practical agricultural experience. Experience with berry crops strongly preferred.
Preferred Qualifications & Leadership Competencies
- Ability to work as part of a team and collaborate with other crew members in achieving team goals.
- Pesticide Control Advisor (PCA) and Certified Crop Advisor (CCA) not required but preferred.
- Experience with research protocols; and knowledge of plant physiology, health and pest pressure assessment, knowledge of farming operation agricultural practices.
- Ability to work in the field, office and corporate settings, including the ability to perform repetitive physical work as necessary.
- Self-starter, hands-on, ability to work independently and work well with teams.
- Demonstrated proficiency with computer programs (Excel, Word, Outlook)
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) preferred but not required.
- Able to work in the field, office and corporate settings, including the ability to perform hard, repetitive physical work as necessary.
- Ability to work in outdoor conditions with variable temperature and weather conditions.
- Cultivates Innovation: Finds, champions, and implements innovations; large or small.
- Collaborates: Works with a variety of colleagues, inside and/or outside of Driscoll’s, seeking win-wins solutions.
- Drives Results: Pursues everything with energy, resourcefulness, and the need to achieve desired outcomes.
- California Driver’s license and the ability to be covered under company-sponsored vehicle insurance program.
Driscoll's is the global market leader for fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. With more than 100 years of farming heritage and hundreds of independent growers around the world, Driscoll's is passionate about growing fresh, beautiful and delicious berries. Our values of humility, passion and trustworthiness have guided our mission to delight consumers around the world.
Driscoll's exclusive patented berry varieties are developed through years of research using only natural breeding methods – meaning, no GMOs. From farm-to-table, we focus on delivering a high quality, premium berry experience with our many supply chain partners.
Driscoll's is the trusted brand for Only the Finest Berries™.
Driscoll's es el proveedor líder en la comercialización de Fresas, Frambuesas, Zarzamoras y Arándanos Azules en el mundo. Con más de 100 años de herencia en agricultura y cientos de productores independiente alrededor del mundo, Driscoll's es una compañía apasionada por cultivar Berries frescas, hermosas y deliciosas. Nuestros valores de humildad, pasión y confianza han guiado nuestra misión de deleitar a los consumidores en el mundo.
Las variedades exclusivas de Driscoll's han sido desarrolladas a través de años de investigación usando sólo métodos de mejoramiento natural. De la granja a la mesa, nos enfocamos en ofrecer una experiencia de alta calidad con apoyo de nuestros socios de la cadena de suministro.
Driscoll's es la marca de confianza de sólo las mejores Berries.