- Location: US - Watsonville, California
- Job Family: Research & Development
- Time Type: Full time
- Job Requisition ID: R0003535
- Experience Years: 3-5 Years of Experience
- Employee Type: Regular
About the OpportunityDriscoll’s operates a several research farms which form a critical part of the overall business. The Technical Grower supports the Farm Manager in growing high quality crops for the breeders and other researchers. Responsibilities include all aspects of growing operations for raspberry, blackberry, blueberry and strawberry substrate test plots for the Watsonville area. The focus of this position will be new technology implementation, irrigation, fertilization, environmental data monitoring, pest & disease management, and running an advanced irrigation system. Collaborating well with over a dozen breeders and researchers in performing the farming of their trials is key to this role.
- Lead the development and management of new technologies in the R&D substrate test plot farms.
- Gather vendor information and lead the decision-making process of selecting a provider of a new technology purchase.
- Oversee operation of complex irrigation system and support continuous improvement of this system.
- Ensure correct EC, pH and fertility are maintained in correct ranges through analysis of daily data collection and oversight of irrigation system maintenance.
- Communicate weekly with internal customers (breeders, entomologists, plant pathologists, and applied researchers) on fertilization, pest/disease management, and other farming duties.
- Support pest and disease control program, including scouting and coordination of chemical applications and working directly with pesticide application supervisor.
- Manage a team of technicians by giving guidance on irrigation and fertility decisions, daily/weekly tasks and long-term planning.
- Ability to work well with all supervisors and employees at a ranch level.
- Follow operating budgets by purchasing, tracking, and coding farming expenses.
- Bachelor’s degree in agriculture related field with 5+ years’ experience.
- Proven ability to manage projects.
- Ability to work as part of a team and collaborate with other crew members in achieving team goals.
- Pesticide Control Advisor (PCA) and Certified Crop Advisor (CCA) not required but preferred.
- Experience with research protocols; and knowledge of plant physiology, health and pest pressure assessment, knowledge of farming operation agricultural practices.
- Self-starter, hands-on, ability to work independently and work well with teams.
- Demonstrated proficiency with computer programs (Excel, Word, Outlook)
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) preferred but not required.
- Driver’s license and the ability to be covered under company-sponsored vehicle insurance program required.
- Cultivates Innovation: Finds, champions, and implements innovations; large or small.
- Collaborates: Works with a variety of colleagues, inside and/or outside of Driscoll’s, seeking win-wins solutions.
- Drives Results: Pursues everything with energy, resourcefulness, and the need to achieve desired outcomes.
Driscoll's is the global market leader for fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. With more than 100 years of farming heritage and hundreds of independent growers around the world, Driscoll's is passionate about growing fresh, beautiful and delicious berries. Our values of humility, passion and trustworthiness have guided our mission to delight consumers around the world.
Driscoll's exclusive patented berry varieties are developed through years of research using only natural breeding methods – meaning, no GMOs. From farm-to-table, we focus on delivering a high quality, premium berry experience with our many supply chain partners.
Driscoll's is the trusted brand for Only the Finest Berries™.
Driscoll's es el proveedor líder en la comercialización de Fresas, Frambuesas, Zarzamoras y Arándanos Azules en el mundo. Con más de 100 años de herencia en agricultura y cientos de productores independiente alrededor del mundo, Driscoll's es una compañía apasionada por cultivar Berries frescas, hermosas y deliciosas. Nuestros valores de humildad, pasión y confianza han guiado nuestra misión de deleitar a los consumidores en el mundo.
Las variedades exclusivas de Driscoll's han sido desarrolladas a través de años de investigación usando sólo métodos de mejoramiento natural. De la granja a la mesa, nos enfocamos en ofrecer una experiencia de alta calidad con apoyo de nuestros socios de la cadena de suministro.
Driscoll's es la marca de confianza de sólo las mejores Berries.