Rubus Breeding Intern
- Location: US - Watsonville, California
- Job Family: Administration
- Time Type: Full time
- Job Requisition ID: R0003273
- Experience Years: 0-3 Years of Experience
- Employee Type: Intern
About the OpportunityThis internship will offer the opportunity to work closely with Driscoll’s Rubus breeding programs (blackberry and raspberry). The intern will be responsible of two main projects, one for each crop, from set up to data analysis. In parallel the intern will participate in the day to day activities of these two breeding programs during their peak season. This includes, but is not limited to, seedling selection, fruit evaluation, and phenotyping. The intern will present the data and conclusion of their main projects in a report, and will give an oral presentation to discuss their findings.
- Implement flavor projects for both the Blackberry and Raspberry Breeding Programs including use of Brix, chemistry data, and flavor scores to screen germplasm.
- Assist in phenotypic data collection in field for Blackberry and Raspberry Breeding Programs.
- Help blackberry and raspberry teams in day to day activities such as plant tissue and fruit sample collection, inventory, sample organization and delivery, etc.
- Present findings, and provide recommendations based on findings
- Responsible for managing activities in collaboration with the blackberry and raspberry breeding teams and collaborative research teams to accomplish planned growth.
- Represents Driscoll’s in an ethical and business-like professional manner in all interactions with growers, co-workers, suppliers, customers and the business community at large.
- Ensure Driscoll’s confidential and proprietary information and materials.
- Be currently enrolled in a 4-year college or university, or in a Master Degree, in a Horticulture, Plant Science, or similar program.
- Have taken some course work in biology, horticulture, plant physiology, pest management, and/or plant genetics.
- Strong in Microsoft Word and Excel; prior experience with R or JMP statistical software package, a plus.
- Have an understanding of the scientific method.
- Be attentive to details, and have high observation skills.
- Be able to work in both a research lab and outdoor field environment.
- Have great communication skills.
- Be reliable, honest, and trustworthy.
Preferred Qualifications & Leadership Competencies
- Valid driver’s license and the ability to be covered under company-sponsored vehicle insurance program.
- Plans & Aligns: Establishes priorities and desired outcomes, and creates plans to achieve them.
- Drives Results: Pursues everything with energy, resourcefulness, and the need to achieve desired outcomes.
- Collaborates: Works with a variety of colleagues, inside and/or outside of Driscoll’s, seeking win-wins solutions.
- Courage: Tackles difficult issues timely with optimism and transparency.
Driscoll's is the global market leader for fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. With more than 100 years of farming heritage and hundreds of independent growers around the world, Driscoll's is passionate about growing fresh, beautiful and delicious berries. Our values of humility, passion and trustworthiness have guided our mission to delight consumers around the world.
Driscoll's exclusive patented berry varieties are developed through years of research using only natural breeding methods – meaning, no GMOs. From farm-to-table, we focus on delivering a high quality, premium berry experience with our many supply chain partners.
Driscoll's is the trusted brand for Only the Finest Berries™.
Driscoll's es el proveedor líder en la comercialización de Fresas, Frambuesas, Zarzamoras y Arándanos Azules en el mundo. Con más de 100 años de herencia en agricultura y cientos de productores independiente alrededor del mundo, Driscoll's es una compañía apasionada por cultivar Berries frescas, hermosas y deliciosas. Nuestros valores de humildad, pasión y confianza han guiado nuestra misión de deleitar a los consumidores en el mundo.
Las variedades exclusivas de Driscoll's han sido desarrolladas a través de años de investigación usando sólo métodos de mejoramiento natural. De la granja a la mesa, nos enfocamos en ofrecer una experiencia de alta calidad con apoyo de nuestros socios de la cadena de suministro.
Driscoll's es la marca de confianza de sólo las mejores Berries.