Sensory Data Scientist
- Location: US - Watsonville, California
- Job Family: Research & Development
- Time Type: Full time
- Job Requisition ID: R0003236
- Experience Years: 0-3 Years of Experience
- Employee Type: Regular
About the OpportunityGlobal R&D drives significant value for Driscoll’s Enterprise operating breeding programs and research centers across the globe. The role of the data scientist is to link sensory and flavor information to Global R&D’s breeding decisions. The Consumer Lab is developing world class sensory capabilities such as consumer tests, home-use-tests, focus groups, and descriptive analysis to deliver actions and insights that guides multiple business units across Driscoll’s. As a data driven business unit, the Sensory Data Scientist will develop processes and analyses to augment our understanding of consumer preferences and breeding targets.
- Develop experimental designs for consumer and sensory tests.
- Evaluate and interpret both qualitative and quantitative tests (e.g. home-use-tests, central location tests, internal employee tests, descriptive analysis tests, etc.) to guide the product development process.
- Analyze, interpret, and translate complex consumer and sensory data into insights and actionable recommendations using statistical models and data visualization tools.
- Interpret and present consumer and sensory insight findings into impactful presentations and dashboards for internal stakeholders, customers, and consumers.
- Work with different business units and departments to develop and manage a database that can model the changes in consumer taste preference through various demographics.
- Comfortable with creative problem solving.
- Other duties as needed.
- Master’s Degree in Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Computer Science or related fields preferred, or Bachelor’s degree with work experience.
- 1+ years’ work experience in data science, analysis and visualization, and/or statistical modeling. Sensory data in consumer packaged goods (CPG) experience is a plus.
- Superior data structuring and analytical skills to analyze and interpret qualitative and quantitative data using conventional and novel statistical tests and models (e.g., M/ANOVA, principal component analysis, landscape segment analysis, preference mapping, correspondence analysis, penalty-lift analysis, canonical variate analysis, etc.).
- Experience with data visualization technologies and frameworks (e.g., R, Tableau, XLStat). Proficient in programming (R preferred) is a plus. Sensory data experience a plus.
- Experience with experimental design, data science, and machine learning analyses is a plus.
- Ability to effectively communicate data insights and recommend actionable applications.
- Spanish fluency is a plus.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with ability to effectively communicate data analyses to audiences of varying or no knowledge of modeling, data analysis, or statistics.
- Excellent organizational skills, thorough attention to detail, and outstanding follow-through required.
- Shows initiative as an independent and team contributor; ability to work effectively with cross-functional groups and to maintain strong working relationships.
- Ability to travel (5% travel).
- California Driver’s license and the ability to be covered under company-sponsored vehicle insurance program.
- A valid passport and the ability to travel internationally without restrictions.
Driscoll's is the global market leader for fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. With more than 100 years of farming heritage and hundreds of independent growers around the world, Driscoll's is passionate about growing fresh, beautiful and delicious berries. Our values of humility, passion and trustworthiness have guided our mission to delight consumers around the world.
Driscoll's exclusive patented berry varieties are developed through years of research using only natural breeding methods – meaning, no GMOs. From farm-to-table, we focus on delivering a high quality, premium berry experience with our many supply chain partners.
Driscoll's is the trusted brand for Only the Finest Berries™.
Driscoll's es el proveedor líder en la comercialización de Fresas, Frambuesas, Zarzamoras y Arándanos Azules en el mundo. Con más de 100 años de herencia en agricultura y cientos de productores independiente alrededor del mundo, Driscoll's es una compañía apasionada por cultivar Berries frescas, hermosas y deliciosas. Nuestros valores de humildad, pasión y confianza han guiado nuestra misión de deleitar a los consumidores en el mundo.
Las variedades exclusivas de Driscoll's han sido desarrolladas a través de años de investigación usando sólo métodos de mejoramiento natural. De la granja a la mesa, nos enfocamos en ofrecer una experiencia de alta calidad con apoyo de nuestros socios de la cadena de suministro.
Driscoll's es la marca de confianza de sólo las mejores Berries.