Applied Research Scientist
- Location: US - Dover, Florida
- Job Family: Applied Research
- Time Type: Full time
- Job Requisition ID: R0003125
- Experience Years: 5-10 Years of Experience
- Employee Type: Regular
About the OpportunityDriscoll’s produces the finest berries in the world. Sharing the benefits of our extensive research and development efforts, along with best practices and the latest technology with our partner growers are the key responsibilities of this role. As an Applied Research Scientist you will provide scientific leadership to district teams and develop novel production innovations by leveraging cultivar genetics, physiology and knowledge of key supply gaps for Strawberries, Raspberries, Blackberries and Blueberries. The position will spend a large percentage of time in the field, working directly with growers and ranch managers while collecting data from various research projects, monitoring cultivar performance and developing communication plans for new technologies. This position will also be essential for the commercialization of new cultivars and improving overall grower performance. This position will execute appropriate experimental designs to address research objectives, perform analysis of complex multi-factor datasets using statistical software packages (JMP, SAS, R) and write research reports and best management practices to share with key stakeholders.
- Leads research discovery process by identifying new research projects that provide unique technical solutions to 5-yr District strategic plan
- Develops novel production innovations by leveraging cultivar genetics, physiology and knowledge of key supply gaps
- Formulate trial protocols, including planning nursery plant orders, and execute appropriate experimental designs to address research objectives within practical constraints of field layout, irrigation system capabilities and farming practices
- Coordinate the recording of applied research test plot data and field pick plots; including yield fruit quality/flavor and other physiological traits and metrics to explain conclusions
- Analyze trial data using statistical software packages (JMP SAS, R) and report results internally and externally to diverse audiences
- Write research reports and document best production practices, develop a communication and education plan to share findings with growers and key stakeholders
- Responsible for coordinating field data collection for ranch and variety evaluation. Perform regular visits to field experiments to take observations, and ensure that data collection is complete and accurate, and processes are implemented
- Work closely with ranch supervisors and growers at all test plots and ranches to determine the proper execution for field experiments and data management. Regularly visit production fields to understand production methods, cycles, and support growers with technical advice
- Monitor and evaluate farming techniques of new cultivars at late stages prior to commercial release and deployment, collaborating with Breeders and Production management with documenting all relevant information and BMPs (Best Management Practices) in Production Guide
- Regularly walk fields to scout for crop issues and coordinate with the test-plot/ranch manager to implement pest control, irrigation and plant nutrition programs
- Follow Company policies and practices while representing Driscoll’s in an ethical and business-like manner in all interactions with employees, government agencies, growers, customers, etc.
- Ensures the safekeeping of Driscoll’s confidential and proprietary information and materials
- Perform other duties as instructed by supervisor
- *This job description is intended to describe the general nature of the work performed by employees in this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all the job's responsibilities. At Driscoll’s, all of our jobs include broad responsibilities for continually improving the processes we use to develop our products.
- BS in Agronomy, Plant Sciences, Horticulture or equivalent with a minimum of 12 years relevant experience. A MS in Agronomy, Plant Sciences, Horticulture or equivalent with a minimum 8 years of relevant experience. A PhD in Agronomy, Plant Sciences, Horticulture or equivalent with a minimum 5 years of relevant experience.
- Passion for plants is essential.
- Substrate/Greenhouse Berries farming experience is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience implementing appropriate experimental designs as related to field based research projects.
- Research and analytical skills to analyze problems in a multi- faceted way and to develop and participate in implementing fruit supply solutions.
- Capable of identifying/hypothesizing key physiological and genetic drivers when analyzing plant phenotypic responses
- Proficiency with statistical analysis software such as JMP (preferred), SPSS, R, SAS or equivalent.
- Demonstrate effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient internet and Microsoft Office computer experience.
- Bi-lingual (Spanish/English) is preferred.
- Capable of presenting scientific research to various audiences.
- Strong organizational skills with ability to do multiple tasks and solve problems with a sense of urgency without direct supervision.
- Needs to be dependable, reliable, Self-starter, and able to work independently as well as a member of a team.
- Able to lift 40 pounds, ability to work in field conditions.
- Travel to local and regional farms will be required on a daily basis, with occasional longer distance domestic and international.
- Florida driver’s license and the ability to be covered under company-sponsored vehicle insurance program are also required.
- A valid passport and the ability to travel internationally without restrictions are also required
Driscoll's is the global market leader for fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. With more than 100 years of farming heritage and hundreds of independent growers around the world, Driscoll's is passionate about growing fresh, beautiful and delicious berries. Our values of humility, passion and trustworthiness have guided our mission to delight consumers around the world.
Driscoll's exclusive patented berry varieties are developed through years of research using only natural breeding methods – meaning, no GMOs. From farm-to-table, we focus on delivering a high quality, premium berry experience with our many supply chain partners.
Driscoll's is the trusted brand for Only the Finest Berries™.
Driscoll's es el proveedor líder en la comercialización de Fresas, Frambuesas, Zarzamoras y Arándanos Azules en el mundo. Con más de 100 años de herencia en agricultura y cientos de productores independiente alrededor del mundo, Driscoll's es una compañía apasionada por cultivar Berries frescas, hermosas y deliciosas. Nuestros valores de humildad, pasión y confianza han guiado nuestra misión de deleitar a los consumidores en el mundo.
Las variedades exclusivas de Driscoll's han sido desarrolladas a través de años de investigación usando sólo métodos de mejoramiento natural. De la granja a la mesa, nos enfocamos en ofrecer una experiencia de alta calidad con apoyo de nuestros socios de la cadena de suministro.
Driscoll's es la marca de confianza de sólo las mejores Berries.