Director, US and Canada Controller
- Location: US - Watsonville, California
- Job Family: Accounting
- Time Type: Full time
- Job Requisition ID: R0003102
- Experience Years: 10+ Years of Experience
- Employee Type: Regular
About the OpportunityThe U.S. & Canada Controller will be responsible for managing accounting and process control functions, directing and coordinating the monthly financial close process and delivering timely and insightful monthly regional and business unit financial reporting. Directs five accounting management employees and 20+ indirect reports for Driscoll’s largest business unit, Driscoll’s of the Americas (DOTA). This role will develop, implement and direct accounting systems, process controls, and operating policies and procedures which support business unit financial goals and conform to Driscoll’s Global Process Control Standards and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). Directs maintenance and control of the company’s ERP system, ensuring adequate review and reconciliation of general ledger and all related sub-systems (e.g., inventory, grower accounts payable and receivable, trade accounts receivable, etc.). Directs the preparation, review and analysis of accurate and timely business unit financial statements.
- General Accounting: Directs the monthly close process and monthly reporting of financial results for the U.S. Operations, Driscoll’s of Canada, Global Support Functions, Global R&D and DOTA consolidated financials. Overall responsibility for developing processes to maintain integrity of the general ledger and related subledgers. Assess internal controls, including risk assessments and reviews of risk areas and compliance with general Sarbanes Oxley guidelines
- Grower Accounting: Directs all activities associated with DOTA grower accounting functions, including process controls, Enterprise Business Model (EBM) support and grower disbursements
- Revenue Accounting: Directs all revenue accounting functions including Accounts Receivable and Credit and Collection activities
- Performance Management: Establishes accounting and financial reporting process metrics, implements performance score carding, and develops action plans for meeting Global accounting and financial reporting goals
- Business Unit Consolidation: Ensure proper intercompany accounting and eliminations within the DOTA business unit
- DOTA Finance Support: Collaborate with DOTA financial during the budget process and in special studies and process improvement initiatives
- Training and Development: Assesses future organizational needs and implements employee training and development programs to meet short term and long term objectives
- Follow Company policies and practices while representing Driscoll’s in an ethical and business-like manner in all interactions with employees, governmental agencies, growers, customers, etc.
- Ensure the security of Driscoll’s confidential and proprietary information and materials
- Other duties as assigned*
As a Driscoll’s people manager, you will accomplish work individually and through others while delivering on functional accountabilities connected to the employee lifecycle, including:
- Workforce Planning: Aligning the people plan to the business plan
- Hiring: Find, evaluate, and hire new team members
- Onboarding: Integrating new employees into the organization
- Managing: Organize and coordinate activities of a team in order to achieve defined strategic objectives
- Development: Partnering with your employees to create a plan to grow in their existing or potential future roles
- Employee Safety: Ensure both physical and psychological safety in the workplace
- Off-boarding: Ending an employment relationship
*This job description is intended to describe the general nature of the work performed by employees in this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all the job's responsibilities. At Driscoll’s, all of our jobs include broad responsibilities for continually improving the processes we use to develop our products.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Business Administration or equivalent degree
- 10-12+ years of progressive professional Operational Accounting experience
- Strong preference for experience in a manufacturing or advanced agricultural organization
- Preference for experience with Big Four Accounting/Auditing firm
- 8+ years management experience
- MBA or accreditation such as CPA or CMA preferred
- Must have an excellent working knowledge of ERP applications (Dynamics AX or similar).
- Strong working knowledge of inventory systems and related accounting processes required.
- Strong working knowledge of U.S. GAAP, accounting terminology and concepts
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced, developing environment with excellent organizational skills and thorough attention to detail
- Must have strong verbal and written communication skills
- Must be able to work independently with little supervision, as well as work effectively in cross-functional teams
- Ability to initiate new ideas, create new systems, audit and correct errors, train others in on-the-job procedures, assist or lead in the direction, control planning of an activity and to schedule tasks to meet deadlines
- California driver’s license and the ability to be covered under company-sponsored vehicle insurance program are also required
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred
- Demonstrated proficiency with computer programs (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook)
- Ability to work with key stakeholders and manage multiple projects across the enterprise
Driscoll's is the global market leader for fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. With more than 100 years of farming heritage and hundreds of independent growers around the world, Driscoll's is passionate about growing fresh, beautiful and delicious berries. Our values of humility, passion and trustworthiness have guided our mission to delight consumers around the world.
Driscoll's exclusive patented berry varieties are developed through years of research using only natural breeding methods – meaning, no GMOs. From farm-to-table, we focus on delivering a high quality, premium berry experience with our many supply chain partners.
Driscoll's is the trusted brand for Only the Finest Berries™.
Driscoll's es el proveedor líder en la comercialización de Fresas, Frambuesas, Zarzamoras y Arándanos Azules en el mundo. Con más de 100 años de herencia en agricultura y cientos de productores independiente alrededor del mundo, Driscoll's es una compañía apasionada por cultivar Berries frescas, hermosas y deliciosas. Nuestros valores de humildad, pasión y confianza han guiado nuestra misión de deleitar a los consumidores en el mundo.
Las variedades exclusivas de Driscoll's han sido desarrolladas a través de años de investigación usando sólo métodos de mejoramiento natural. De la granja a la mesa, nos enfocamos en ofrecer una experiencia de alta calidad con apoyo de nuestros socios de la cadena de suministro.
Driscoll's es la marca de confianza de sólo las mejores Berries.