Research Data Architect
- Location: US - Watsonville, California
- Job Family: IT
- Time Type: Full time
- Job Requisition ID: R0003018
- Experience Years: 3-5 Years of Experience
- Employee Type: Regular
About the OpportunityDriscoll’s mission is to delight berry consumers through alignment with our customers and our berry growers. Delight begins with superior berry genetics and Driscoll’s Global R&D is among the world’s most successful berry breeding enterprises. Maintaining our industry leadership requires digital transformation of variety development and deployment. The Research Data Architect will join the Digital Operations & Knowledge Management department at an exciting time of digital transformation in pursuit of 10X gains in the velocity of plant breeding. The business unit will look to this experienced data professional to develop programming that optimizes the economic value capture of our scientific data. Global R&D will look to this individual to provide leadership and expertise on data strategy, data governance, and business intelligence. The Research Data Architect will have the techno-functional skills to operate fluently in both the information technology and plant breeding/research domains. He or she will bring their extensive technical experience to bear on the functional work of preparing Global R&D for a data-rich future.
This is an opportunity for someone who has an equal passion for data science and next-generation breeding technology. The successful candidate will help usher Driscoll’s into a new era of data-rich variety development and deployment.
Data strategy and governance
- Begin development of a data strategy within first three months
- Develop, implement and manage data governance plan within first two years
- Bake data governance into all new digital projects
- Standardize data management plans
- Manage and standardize master, meta and reference data
- Develop and deploy data collection and storage methodologies
- Lead business intelligence projects
- Train and coach breeding and research on business intelligence
The successful candidate will stand out to the interview panel because he or she exhibits the following qualities.
- Data curiosity: The candidate will speak with conviction about the potential of good data management and the types of business problems that good analysis can solve.
- Pragmatic resolve: The candidate will be a confident technologist who can offer best-in-class solutions for review but willing to implement alternative solutions to address urgent needs.
- Grit and resilience: The candidate’s background has prepared him or her to be unintimidated by large projects, tight timeframes, or colleagues resistant to change.
- Communication and inquisition: This person will have above average interpersonal skills and is adept at listening to others and understanding their data needs.
- Passion and acumen: When engaging with colleagues at all levels of the company, the candidate will demonstrate an expert understanding of data science and will be a champion for the adoption of related technology.
- B.S. or equivalent in related field
- 5+ years' of experience as a data architect
- Experience in developing data strategy, best management practices, and governance at business unit level
- Knowledge in big data technologies
- Expertise in data exploration and visual analytics using tools like Tableau
- Experience in collaboratively defining data solutions and architectures
- Experience in enabling and supporting the work of data scientists and analysts
- Understanding of data architecture, data modelling, database architecture, design and integration
- Understanding of public and private cloud capabilities including compute, storage, database and APIs
- Experience partnering with third-party data service vendors
- Strong communication, collaboration and investigative skills
- Project management experience
- Basic understanding of plant breeding, molecular biology, or horticultural sciences
- Experience with modern database platforms like Hadoop/NoSQL/Snowflake and monitoring and analysis tools like Splunk
- Expertise in architecture and development of real-time, enterprise-scale OLTP and MDM solutions
- Understanding of relational database, ETL/ELT and data service (APIs) technologies (preferred)
- Expertise in designing end-to-end data engineering solutions using a variety of data processing patterns
- Knowledge of data warehousing tools such as Informatica
Driscoll's is the global market leader for fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. With more than 100 years of farming heritage and hundreds of independent growers around the world, Driscoll's is passionate about growing fresh, beautiful and delicious berries. Our values of humility, passion and trustworthiness have guided our mission to delight consumers around the world.
Driscoll's exclusive patented berry varieties are developed through years of research using only natural breeding methods – meaning, no GMOs. From farm-to-table, we focus on delivering a high quality, premium berry experience with our many supply chain partners.
Driscoll's is the trusted brand for Only the Finest Berries™.
Driscoll's es el proveedor líder en la comercialización de Fresas, Frambuesas, Zarzamoras y Arándanos Azules en el mundo. Con más de 100 años de herencia en agricultura y cientos de productores independiente alrededor del mundo, Driscoll's es una compañía apasionada por cultivar Berries frescas, hermosas y deliciosas. Nuestros valores de humildad, pasión y confianza han guiado nuestra misión de deleitar a los consumidores en el mundo.
Las variedades exclusivas de Driscoll's han sido desarrolladas a través de años de investigación usando sólo métodos de mejoramiento natural. De la granja a la mesa, nos enfocamos en ofrecer una experiencia de alta calidad con apoyo de nuestros socios de la cadena de suministro.
Driscoll's es la marca de confianza de sólo las mejores Berries.