Research Data Program Manager
- Location: US - Watsonville, California
- Job Family: IT
- Time Type: Full time
- Job Requisition ID: R0003018
- Experience Years: 5-10 Years of Experience
- Employee Type: Regular
About the OpportunityDriscoll’s mission is to delight berry consumers through alignment with our customers and our berry growers. Delight begins with superior berry genetics and Driscoll’s Global R&D is among the world’s most successful berry breeding enterprises. Maintaining our industry leadership requires digital transformation of variety development and deployment. The Research Data Program Manager will join the Digital Operations & Knowledge Management department at an exciting time of digital transformation in pursuit of 10X gains in plant breeding velocity. The Research Data Program Manager will co-author a research data strategy and be responsible for data architecture, data governance, and business intelligence. The Research Data Program Manager will have the techno-functional skills to operate with fluently in both the information technology and plant breeding/research domains. He or she will bring their technical experience to bear on the functional work of preparing Global R&D for a data-rich future. This position will report to the Digital Operations and Knowledge Management lead and collaborate with the Digital Programs Manager (responsible for R&D’s digital portfolio) and Global Information Services (responsible for delivering IT solutions). He or she will have responsibility across the global network of research centers and test plots. The Research Data Program Manager will quickly gain domain knowledge of breeding, molecular genetics, applied science in several disciplines, genetic deployment, and others data-dependent functions. The individual will work remote and with travel as needed to Driscoll’s Global R&D locations globally.
- Co-author a research data strategy
- Develop, implement and manage data governance plans for breeding and research departments
- Bake data governance into all new digital projects
- Manage and standardize master, meta and reference data
- Develop and deploy data collection and storage methodologies
- Lead business intelligence projects, including coaching
- Document user and technical requirements for new data projects
- Domestic and international travel up to 10% of time
The successful candidate will stand out to the interview panel because he or she exhibits the following qualities.
- Data curiosity: The candidate will speak with conviction about the potential of good data management and the types of business problems that good analysis can solve.
- Pragmatic resolve: The candidate will be a confident technologist who can offer solutions for review but willing to implement alternative solutions to address urgent needs.
- Grit and resilience: The candidate’s background has prepared him or her to be unintimidated by large projects, tight timeframes, or colleagues resistant to change.
- Communication and inquisition: This person will have above average interpersonal skills and is adept at listening to others and understanding their data needs.
- Passion and acumen: When engaging with colleagues at all levels of the company, the candidate will demonstrate an understanding of data science and will be a champion for the adoption of related technology.
This is an opportunity for someone who has equal passion for data science and next-generation breeding technology. The successful candidate will help usher Driscoll’s into a new era of data-rich variety development and deployment.
- At least five years of experience as a data architect
- B.S. or equivalent in related field
- Experience in developing data governance best management practices
- Knowledge in big data technologies
- Expertise in data exploration and visual analytics using tools like Tableau
- Experience in collaboratively defining data solutions and architectures
- Experience in enabling and supporting the work of data scientists and analysts
- Understanding of data architecture, data modelling, database architecture, design and integration
- Understanding of public and private cloud capabilities including compute, storage, database and APIs
- Experience partnering with third-party data service vendors
- Strong communication, collaboration and investigative skills
- Ability to strategically prioritize solutions against competing needs
- Experience working in a research environment
- M.S. or equivalent or related field
- Project management experience
- Basic understanding of plant breeding, molecular biology, or horticultural sciences
- Experience with modern database platforms like Hadoop/NoSQL/Snowflake and analysis tools like Splunk
- Expertise in architecture and development of real-time, enterprise scale OLTP and MDM solutions
- Understanding of relational database, ETL/ELT and data service (APIs) technologies
- Expertise in designing end-to-end data engineering solutions using a variety of data processing patterns
- Knowledge of data warehousing tools such as Informatica
- Spanish language
*This job description is intended to describe the general nature of the work performed by employees in this job.It is not an exhaustive list of all the job's responsibilities.At Driscoll’s, all of our jobs include broad responsibilities for continually improving the processes we use to develop our products.
Driscoll's is the global market leader for fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. With more than 100 years of farming heritage and hundreds of independent growers around the world, Driscoll's is passionate about growing fresh, beautiful and delicious berries. Our values of humility, passion and trustworthiness have guided our mission to delight consumers around the world.
Driscoll's exclusive patented berry varieties are developed through years of research using only natural breeding methods – meaning, no GMOs. From farm-to-table, we focus on delivering a high quality, premium berry experience with our many supply chain partners.
Driscoll's is the trusted brand for Only the Finest Berries™.
Driscoll's es el proveedor líder en la comercialización de Fresas, Frambuesas, Zarzamoras y Arándanos Azules en el mundo. Con más de 100 años de herencia en agricultura y cientos de productores independiente alrededor del mundo, Driscoll's es una compañía apasionada por cultivar Berries frescas, hermosas y deliciosas. Nuestros valores de humildad, pasión y confianza han guiado nuestra misión de deleitar a los consumidores en el mundo.
Las variedades exclusivas de Driscoll's han sido desarrolladas a través de años de investigación usando sólo métodos de mejoramiento natural. De la granja a la mesa, nos enfocamos en ofrecer una experiencia de alta calidad con apoyo de nuestros socios de la cadena de suministro.
Driscoll's es la marca de confianza de sólo las mejores Berries.