Greenhouse Maintenance Assistant
- Location: US - Watsonville, California
- Job Family: Operations
- Time Type: Full time
- Job Requisition ID: R0002683
- Experience Years: 0-3 Years of Experience
- Employee Type: Regular
About the OpportunityUnder the direction of the Greenhouse Production Supervisor, the Maintenance Assistant role will assist in shop, clean up and maintenance activities and assure equipment/facility readiness for growing Driscoll’s proprietary plant varieties. This position may support in such tasks as: minor equipment repairs, equipment maintenance, fabrication, general clean up, facility repair/upkeep, excavation, loading/unloading pallets and racks from tractor trailers, irrigation repair, and carpentry work in direct support of the overall R&D Greenhouse Department.
- Attend to general maintenance and building repairs on workrooms and greenhouses as assigned by supervisor, including repairs to doors, vents, tables, irrigation systems, heathers, etc.
- Responsible for ensuring the timely and safe operational status of equipment used throughout the site.
- Basic knowledge of electricity.
- Knowledge of welding, welding aluminum and stainless steel.
- Perform minor repairs or maintenance of vehicles such as our pickup truck, forklift, gator utility vehicle, tractor, and electric cart.
- Perform minor repairs or maintenance of equipment such as irrigation pumps, RO (Reverse Osmosis) system and other equipment, racks, steam sterilizer, pressure washer, spray machines, electric hedge trimmers.
- Maintain good organization and accurate inventory of irrigation parts, filters, lubricants, paints, tools etc.
- Use the lock out tag out system on the equipment required.
- Communicate to supervisor all equipment and facility repair or maintenance problems.
- Maintain a shop and farm equipment safety program which includes shop safety, equipment safety and training for safe shop and equipment practices.
- Ability to fabricate equipment to improve the tasks as needed.
- Execute minor painting, carpentry, electrical and plumbing repairs as needed.
- Drive a forklift to load or unload pallets or racks from tractor trailers or flatbed trucks.
- Transport equipment or plant materials within Watsonville and occasionally across California.
- Keep data on maintenance follow up and equipment repairs.
- Speak with vendors to investigate equipment needs and purchase materials as needed.
- Follow company policies and practices while representing Driscoll’s in an ethical and business - like manner in all interactions with employees, government agencies, growers, etc.
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor or manager that may include that of the Field Worker or Greenhouse Worker classifications.
- Capacity proved to demonstrate the Driscoll’s values on the work area: Passion, Humility, Trustworthiness.
- Demonstrate the following competencies on the work area: collaborate, plan and aligned, focus in the results, ability strategic and cultivate innovation.
- Minimum of two years of professional work experience in operating, repairing and/or maintaining equipment and/or facilities.
- Solid understanding of tasks related to general maintenance and repair.
- Basic knowledge of farming, equipment and irrigation systems.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment with multiple departments.
- Candidate must be disciplined, detail oriented and self-motivated.
- Ability to communicate in both English and Spanish.
- California driver’s license and the ability to be covered under company-sponsored vehicle insurance program, if required.
- Forklift and tractor certified.
- Relevant trade licenses or certifications if applicable.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds on intermittent bases and possess the ability to sit for extended periods of time.
Driscoll's is the global market leader for fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. With more than 100 years of farming heritage and hundreds of independent growers around the world, Driscoll's is passionate about growing fresh, beautiful and delicious berries. Our values of humility, passion and trustworthiness have guided our mission to delight consumers around the world.
Driscoll's exclusive patented berry varieties are developed through years of research using only natural breeding methods – meaning, no GMOs. From farm-to-table, we focus on delivering a high quality, premium berry experience with our many supply chain partners.
Driscoll's is the trusted brand for Only the Finest Berries™.
Driscoll's es el proveedor líder en la comercialización de Fresas, Frambuesas, Zarzamoras y Arándanos Azules en el mundo. Con más de 100 años de herencia en agricultura y cientos de productores independiente alrededor del mundo, Driscoll's es una compañía apasionada por cultivar Berries frescas, hermosas y deliciosas. Nuestros valores de humildad, pasión y confianza han guiado nuestra misión de deleitar a los consumidores en el mundo.
Las variedades exclusivas de Driscoll's han sido desarrolladas a través de años de investigación usando sólo métodos de mejoramiento natural. De la granja a la mesa, nos enfocamos en ofrecer una experiencia de alta calidad con apoyo de nuestros socios de la cadena de suministro.
Driscoll's es la marca de confianza de sólo las mejores Berries.