Scientist, Quantitative Genetics
- Location: US - Watsonville, California
- Job Family: Research & Development
- Time Type: Full time
- Job Requisition ID: R0002419
- Experience Years: 5-10 Years of Experience
- Employee Type: Regular
About the OpportunityThe purpose of this position is to apply the tools of genetics to accelerate traditional plant breeding. This person will work together with a small creative team to design and conduct research. Responsibilities include discovery work as well as potential supervision of technical staff, applying principles of quantitative genetics & computational biology to improve the speed of new variety development, and also assure completion of complex projects involving cross-functional teams. Additionally, the incumbent will stay current with the newest computational techniques that would aid Driscoll’s in accomplishing our mission.
- Research: Coordinate and execute the planning, management, and implementation of complex research projects involving interdisciplinary teams that characterizes the genetic basis of berry traits. Provide genetic information that enables genotypic selection, from marker assisted selection to developing models for genomic selection in four Driscoll’s crops.
- Collaboration/Communication: Establish collaborative relationships with other scientists in the R&D group, particularly the plant breeders. Collaborate with researchers in the field through attendance of conferences and symposia. Occasional travel to locations in the European Union will be required.
- General: Follow Company policies and practices while representing Driscoll’s in an ethical and business-like manner in all interactions with employees, governmental agencies, growers, customers, etc. Ensure the security of Driscoll’s confidential and proprietary information and materials. Other duties as assigned. This job description is intended to describe the general nature of the work performed by employees in this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all the job's responsibilities. At Driscoll’s, all of our jobs include broad responsibilities for continually improving the processes we use to develop our products.
- Ph.D. or Master’s degree with 5+ years of strong work experience in quantitative genetics. Individuals with experience outside of the plant sciences are also encouraged to apply.
- Knowledge of modern techniques in trait mapping including genome wide association and linkage based mapping approaches.
- Experience in developing and applying genomic selection models.
- Experience in bioinformatics and computational biology.
- Knowledge of modern sequencing data sets and data structures.
- Strong skills in R highly desired.
- Python or another scripting language are a plus.
- Strong knowledge of Linux and bash shell scripting is a plus.
- Experience planning complex projects involving cross-functional or interdisciplinary teams.
- Individual must possess the ability to develop strong trust in all working relationships.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully work in a cross-functional team environment.
- Excellent communication skills, including written, verbal, and presentation.
- Some travel will be required.
- A California driver’s license and the ability to be covered under company-sponsored vehicle insurance program are also required if employed in California.
- Passport and the ability to travel internationally without restrictions is also required.
Driscoll's is the global market leader for fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. With more than 100 years of farming heritage and hundreds of independent growers around the world, Driscoll's is passionate about growing fresh, beautiful and delicious berries. Our values of humility, passion and trustworthiness have guided our mission to delight consumers around the world.
Driscoll's exclusive patented berry varieties are developed through years of research using only natural breeding methods – meaning, no GMOs. From farm-to-table, we focus on delivering a high quality, premium berry experience with our many supply chain partners.
Driscoll's is the trusted brand for Only the Finest Berries™.
Driscoll's es el proveedor líder en la comercialización de Fresas, Frambuesas, Zarzamoras y Arándanos Azules en el mundo. Con más de 100 años de herencia en agricultura y cientos de productores independiente alrededor del mundo, Driscoll's es una compañía apasionada por cultivar Berries frescas, hermosas y deliciosas. Nuestros valores de humildad, pasión y confianza han guiado nuestra misión de deleitar a los consumidores en el mundo.
Las variedades exclusivas de Driscoll's han sido desarrolladas a través de años de investigación usando sólo métodos de mejoramiento natural. De la granja a la mesa, nos enfocamos en ofrecer una experiencia de alta calidad con apoyo de nuestros socios de la cadena de suministro.
Driscoll's es la marca de confianza de sólo las mejores Berries.