Director - Manufacturing Operations
- Location: US - Watsonville, California
- Job Family: Supply Chain
- Time Type: Full time
- Job Requisition ID: R0002367
- Experience Years: 10+ Years of Experience
- Employee Type: Regular
About the OpportunityThe Director of Manufacturing is responsible for the design, build, and operations of Driscoll’s fruit packing and manufacturing facilities, otherwise known as a "packhouse." The Director owns the roadmap for scaling-up in manufacturing, which includes knowledge of the necessary equipment, technologies, people, partners, and facilities to support the introduction and growth of new line-packed SKU’s, and other product innovations such as top-sealed packaging and weight-specific labeling of packages. These manufacturing and processing innovations will require new approaches to the movement and handling of berry fruit which will introduce new technologies and equipment into the Driscoll’s operational environment. To be successful, the Director must collaborate tightly with Product Leadership, Sales Leadership, Distribution, Food Safety, Facilities & Real Estate, and other functions. The Director will also heavily influence the direction of new SKUs/products based on their experience and the state-of-the-art automation capabilities available in the marketplace. The Director must lead the creation of business cases to support the capital investments needed for success. The Director will co-create the operating plans to implement, install, and ramp-up the manufacturing automation at various Driscoll’s and third-party coolers locations. The Director must possess strategic thinking skills, be technically and operationally competent, and also possess financial savvy.
- Develop manufacturing and automation vision and road-map aligned to commercial strategies and fruit harvesting changes
- Partner with experts inside and outside of Driscoll’s to develop new technologies for handling of fruit at high velocity without negatively impacting quality
- Build, sponsor, and execute business cases to support capital investments for manufacturing and automation
- Work with all stake holders to design new production lines and facilities. Collaborate with multiple vendors and design team to manage the project from inception to completion
- Lead staff on production line to handle heavy seasonality and the ability to shift between various berry types and packaging with minimal downtime
- Ensure equipment and structures meet food safety standards for sanitation and full wash-down environments
- Achieve operating performance targets in safety, quality, customer service, and efficiency
- Understand the importance of food safety requirement and drive compliance within automation and manufacturing
- Leverage industry best practices to enhance Driscoll's capabilities
- Follow Company policies and practices while representing Driscoll’s in an ethical and business-like manner in all interactions with employees, governmental agencies, growers, vendors, customers, etc.
- Ensure the security of Driscoll’s confidential and proprietary information and materials
- Other duties as assigned
*This job description is intended to describe the general nature of the work performed by employees in this job.It is not an exhaustive list of all the job's responsibilities.At Driscoll’s, all of our jobs include broad responsibilities for continually improving the processes we use to develop our products.
- Bachelor’s degree required in Industrial Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Manufacturing Management, Operations Research, or related field
- 15+ years' experience in agriculture, food/perishables industry, or other process-intensive manufacturing industries
- 10+ years' experience with operations/manufacturing of agriculture or food processing, including significant automation
- Strong skill set in communicating from shop-floor to C-suite.
- Demonstrated success and a history of high performance accomplishments in leading major investments ($10M+ per project) in agri-food automation
- Proven track record in process-engineering and automation in a high-volume food manufacturing environment
- Must have proven experience effectively interacting with multiple departments in achieving completion of projects/goals
- Must be highly experienced in developing business cases (with financial justifications) for capital investments in automation and manufacturing
- Exceptional communications skills at all levels of the company
- Experience with and knowledge of automation technical solutions and best-practices
- Must have strong vendor relationships in the food automation industry
- Experienced with facilities expansion, layout design, and food safety aspects
- Production experience in a food manufacturing operation is ideal
- Experience in managing a team of professionals, including experience successfully influencing and motivating employees and building effective teams.
- Familiarity with U.S. and international manufacturing standards and process standards (e.g. GMP), and quality systems (e.g. ISO)
- Demonstrated experience and success with Process Improvement initiatives
- Able to travel up to 40% domestic and international
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) is a plus
Driscoll's is the global market leader for fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. With more than 100 years of farming heritage and hundreds of independent growers around the world, Driscoll's is passionate about growing fresh, beautiful and delicious berries. Our values of humility, passion and trustworthiness have guided our mission to delight consumers around the world.
Driscoll's exclusive patented berry varieties are developed through years of research using only natural breeding methods – meaning, no GMOs. From farm-to-table, we focus on delivering a high quality, premium berry experience with our many supply chain partners.
Driscoll's is the trusted brand for Only the Finest Berries™.
Driscoll's es el proveedor líder en la comercialización de Fresas, Frambuesas, Zarzamoras y Arándanos Azules en el mundo. Con más de 100 años de herencia en agricultura y cientos de productores independiente alrededor del mundo, Driscoll's es una compañía apasionada por cultivar Berries frescas, hermosas y deliciosas. Nuestros valores de humildad, pasión y confianza han guiado nuestra misión de deleitar a los consumidores en el mundo.
Las variedades exclusivas de Driscoll's han sido desarrolladas a través de años de investigación usando sólo métodos de mejoramiento natural. De la granja a la mesa, nos enfocamos en ofrecer una experiencia de alta calidad con apoyo de nuestros socios de la cadena de suministro.
Driscoll's es la marca de confianza de sólo las mejores Berries.