Research Scientist, Chemistry
- Location: US - Watsonville, California
- Job Family: Research & Development
- Time Type: Full time
- Job Requisition ID: R0002366
- Experience Years: 3-5 Years of Experience
- Employee Type: Regular
About the OpportunityThe Research Scientist will be responsible for applying analytical chemistry techniques to address plant metabolomics and flavor chemistry research for Global R&D. This role will work together with a small creative team in the Chemistry department to complete interdisciplinary projects for Next Generation Breeding. Responsibilities include discovery research, method development, literature review, data analysis and interpretation, potential supervision of other technical staff, and maintenance of laboratory equipment and instrumentation. This role will also help plan and assure completion of complex projects involving cross-functional teams, and stay current with the plant biochemistry and flavor chemistry research that would aid Driscoll’s in accomplishing our mission.
- Manage volatile profiling workflow for trait development, genetic studies, phenotypic selection, and product development/differentiation.
- Assist in the planning, management, and execution of complex research projects involving interdisciplinary teams to define and develop fruit quality traits.
- Operate and maintain analytical instrumentation, primarily GC-MS, for plant metabolomics and flavor chemistry studies.
- Interpret and report on chromatography and mass spectrometry data using metabolomics and cheminformatics approaches.
- Develop, perform, and optimize metabolite extraction and analytical chemistry workflows in berries.
- Coordinate trait (e.g. flavor chemistry) validation studies.
- Curate authentic standards library for analytical and sensory assays.
- Literature review to support projects and trait development.
- Supervise technical staff to assist in research efforts as needed.
- Support and promote safety.
- Develop, train, and evaluate performance of employees on a continuous basis.
- Maintain collaborative working relationships with other R&D and business departments in Driscoll’s.
- Establish collaborative relationships with other researchers in the field through attendance of conferences, symposia, and workshops.
- Occasional domestic and international travel will be required.
- Keep an up-to-date digital lab notebook and contribute to SOPs.
- Keep a stocked, clean, and orderly laboratory to promote safety and productivity.
- Follow Company policies and practices while representing Driscoll’s in an ethical and business-like manner in all interactions with employees, governmental agencies, growers, customers, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ph.D. with 3-5 years research experience in plant biochemistry, metabolomics, flavor chemistry, or analytical chemistry.
- Passion for plant biochemistry, flavor chemistry, or metabolomics.
- Experience with gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (GC-MS) required, liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry (LC-MS) a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to develop plant metabolite extractions and quantitative analytical chemistry methods.
- Experience with metabolomics or cheminformatics data analysis tools and workflows.
- Excellent analytical, statistical, data visualization, and communication skills.
- Knowledge of flavor chemistry or chemical senses a plus.
- Knowledge of plant biosynthetic pathways and genetic mechanisms a plus.
- Knowledge of other analytical instrumentation such as FTIR, NMR, DESI, HRAM MS, etc. a plus.
- A hard-working, proactive, and self-motivating individual.
- Some travel will be required.
- A California driver’s license and the ability to be covered under company-sponsored vehicle insurance program are also required.
- Passport and the ability to travel internationally without restrictions is also required.
Driscoll's is the global market leader for fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. With more than 100 years of farming heritage and hundreds of independent growers around the world, Driscoll's is passionate about growing fresh, beautiful and delicious berries. Our values of humility, passion and trustworthiness have guided our mission to delight consumers around the world.
Driscoll's exclusive patented berry varieties are developed through years of research using only natural breeding methods – meaning, no GMOs. From farm-to-table, we focus on delivering a high quality, premium berry experience with our many supply chain partners.
Driscoll's is the trusted brand for Only the Finest Berries™.
Driscoll's es el proveedor líder en la comercialización de Fresas, Frambuesas, Zarzamoras y Arándanos Azules en el mundo. Con más de 100 años de herencia en agricultura y cientos de productores independiente alrededor del mundo, Driscoll's es una compañía apasionada por cultivar Berries frescas, hermosas y deliciosas. Nuestros valores de humildad, pasión y confianza han guiado nuestra misión de deleitar a los consumidores en el mundo.
Las variedades exclusivas de Driscoll's han sido desarrolladas a través de años de investigación usando sólo métodos de mejoramiento natural. De la granja a la mesa, nos enfocamos en ofrecer una experiencia de alta calidad con apoyo de nuestros socios de la cadena de suministro.
Driscoll's es la marca de confianza de sólo las mejores Berries.