Nursery Program Manager
- Location: US - Redding Nursery
- Job Family: Nursery
- Time Type: Full time
- Job Requisition ID: R0002361
- Experience Years: 3-5 Years of Experience
- Employee Type: Regular
About the OpportunityThe Nursery Program team’s goal is to enable the nursery department to fill the pipeline to commercialization with new berry genetics from our proprietary breeding programs. The Nursery Program Manager will be responsible for creating long term budget plans, and short term plant propagation plans for Driscoll’s Nursery. This role enables the nursery team to meet the demanding needs of our proprietary global berry breeding programs. The Program Manager will utilize program models to analyze breeding program changes that could impact the nursery; providing data about nursery cost and constraints to aid in decision making. A successful Program Manager will be a liaison between the nursery and breeding department, working collaboratively to understand the plant breeder’s needs and nursery constraints to develop and distribute a foundation and breeding nursery plan that fits both the nursery and plant breeders. The manager is responsible for handing off plans to their team of program coordinators in an effective and timely manner so that they can transform the plans into orders for the nursery operations teams.
Nursery Variety Planning and Development
- Liaison between Plant Breeding and Nursery Operations
- Collaborates with Breeders to understand fruit testing targets and cross testing requirements to create short and longer propagation breeding nursery plans globally
- Utilizes the Global Genetic Breeding Database for breeder status updates
- Creates early plant production planning for new genetics based on commercialization models and nursery assumptions
- Communicates and distributes planting & harvest plans to Program Coordinators
- Provides long and short term export plan for global breeding cross testing
- Responsible for gathering critical nursery assumptions for Foundation and Breeding Program planning
- Responsible for management of Global Plant requests for small volumes
Variety/Clone Integrity/ Plant Quality
- Manages the introduction of varieties into the Foundation Programs in alignment with Driscoll’s clean stock requirements
- Incorporates in Program planning the clean stock rules and recommendations.
- Reports and validates goals are met
- Creates and updates program models, process flows and SOP’s.
- Responsible for communicating the “health of the program”, offering opportunities and risk to decision making groups.
- Supports the budget process for breeding department chargeback, responsible for tracking and managing order volume changes and communicating.
- Provides support for other foundation or breeding nursery needs as required
- Perform other duties as instructed by manager
*This job description is intended to describe the general nature of the work performed by employees in this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all the job's responsibilities. At Driscoll’s, all of our jobs include broad responsibilities for continually improving the processes we use to develop our products.
- Bachelor’s degree with 4+ years of experience in planning
- Background in production planning, data analysis or analytics preferred
- Competent in use of Microsoft programs; planning software preferred
- 2 years minimum supervising experience, or outstanding leadership skills
- Ability to collaborate and communicate effectively with all levels of management
- Ability to effectively prioritize and manage multiple projects or tasks at the same time
- Quick to learn concepts and strong work ethic
- Reliable, detailed oriented, accurate, and a team player
- Has a passion for working with people and platforms, while improving processes
- Occasional international travel, valid US Passport, California driver’s License and eligibility for company vehicle insurance required
- This position requires frequent domestic travel depending on operational needs
- Bilingual communication skills (English/Spanish) preferred
Driscoll's is the global market leader for fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. With more than 100 years of farming heritage and hundreds of independent growers around the world, Driscoll's is passionate about growing fresh, beautiful and delicious berries. Our values of humility, passion and trustworthiness have guided our mission to delight consumers around the world.
Driscoll's exclusive patented berry varieties are developed through years of research using only natural breeding methods – meaning, no GMOs. From farm-to-table, we focus on delivering a high quality, premium berry experience with our many supply chain partners.
Driscoll's is the trusted brand for Only the Finest Berries™.
Driscoll's es el proveedor líder en la comercialización de Fresas, Frambuesas, Zarzamoras y Arándanos Azules en el mundo. Con más de 100 años de herencia en agricultura y cientos de productores independiente alrededor del mundo, Driscoll's es una compañía apasionada por cultivar Berries frescas, hermosas y deliciosas. Nuestros valores de humildad, pasión y confianza han guiado nuestra misión de deleitar a los consumidores en el mundo.
Las variedades exclusivas de Driscoll's han sido desarrolladas a través de años de investigación usando sólo métodos de mejoramiento natural. De la granja a la mesa, nos enfocamos en ofrecer una experiencia de alta calidad con apoyo de nuestros socios de la cadena de suministro.
Driscoll's es la marca de confianza de sólo las mejores Berries.