Assistant Substrate Grower
- Location: US - Arts Ranch, Oxnard
- Job Family: Research & Development
- Time Type: Full time
- Job Requisition ID: R0002312
- Experience Years: 3-5 Years of Experience
- Employee Type: Regular
About the OpportunityDriscoll’s operates a number of research farms which form a critical part of the overall business. The Assistant Substrate Grower supports the Research Farm Growing Supervisor in growing high quality crops for the breeders and other researchers. Responsibilities include collecting various data, graphing, and submitting weekly reports to various stakeholders for crop health such as lysimeter EC & pH’s, irrigation and fertilization application records, pest and disease scouting reports, pesticide records, and soil water/tissue samples. Technical growing aspects such as running an advanced irrigation system, preparing fertilizers, and at times applying pesticides are also integral to this position. Collaborating well with over a dozen breeders and researchers in performing the farming of their trials is key to this role.
- Assist the Growing Supervisor with appropriate and timely irrigation practices based upon tensiometer readings, lysimeter measurements, weather, stage of growth, and general plant observations.
- As needed run and maintain the advanced Priva irrigation system.
- Monitor and maintain lysimeter stations, checking for EC, pH, and volume of both drip input and drain.
- Assist the Growing Supervisor in ensuring appropriate fertilization and acidification practices based on berry type, stage of growth, lysimeter readings, tissue and soil nutritional analysis, climate, and if any nutritional deficiencies or toxicities are present.
- Monitor and assist in checking overall plant health, tunnel ventilation and wind screens.
- Perform weekly pest and disease scouting with reports as part of our IPM program.
- Occasionally assist with pesticide applications and spray pesticides/fertilizers on all test plot crops.
- Apply beneficial organisms on a regular basis as part of the IPM program.
- Schedule and coordinate the maintenance of essential farm machinery such as pumps, sprayers, and tractors.
- Assist the Growing Supervisor with oversight and execution of implementing new technologies in the research farm.
- Communicate weekly with internal partners such as breeders, entomology researchers, and applied researchers on irrigation, fertilization, pest management, and other farming duties.
- Occasionally help design and perform farm trials to improve our internal processes.
- Maintain a safe and professional work environment by participating in weekly/monthly tailgate safety meetings and keeping up with necessary trainings in pesticide application, irrigation, safety, etc.
- Ensure the security of all Driscoll’s proprietary and confidential information.
- Perform other duties as assigned, related to agricultural operations.
*This job description is intended to describe the general nature of the work performed by employees in this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all the job's responsibilities. At Driscoll’s, all of our jobs include broad responsibilities for continually improving the processes we use to develop our products.
- Bachelor’s degree in agriculture related field preferred
- 3+ years of plant growing experience preferred
- Ability to work as part of a team and collaborate with other crew members in achieving team goals
- Must be able and willing to occasionally spray pesticides/fertilizers on research crops
- Pesticide license holder preferred
- Experience with research protocols; and knowledge of plant physiology, health and pest pressure assessment, knowledge of soils/water and agricultural practices
- Self-starter, hands-on, ability to work independently and work well with teams
- Demonstrated proficiency with computer programs (Excel, Word, Outlook)
- Able to work in the field, office and corporate settings, including the ability to perform hard, repetitive physical work as necessary
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) preferred but not required
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Must have a valid Driver License. Travel in a company provided vehicle during working hours will be required mostly in the Oxnard area, with occasional travel to other farming locations in California.
Driscoll's is the global market leader for fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. With more than 100 years of farming heritage and hundreds of independent growers around the world, Driscoll's is passionate about growing fresh, beautiful and delicious berries. Our values of humility, passion and trustworthiness have guided our mission to delight consumers around the world.
Driscoll's exclusive patented berry varieties are developed through years of research using only natural breeding methods – meaning, no GMOs. From farm-to-table, we focus on delivering a high quality, premium berry experience with our many supply chain partners.
Driscoll's is the trusted brand for Only the Finest Berries™.
Driscoll's es el proveedor líder en la comercialización de Fresas, Frambuesas, Zarzamoras y Arándanos Azules en el mundo. Con más de 100 años de herencia en agricultura y cientos de productores independiente alrededor del mundo, Driscoll's es una compañía apasionada por cultivar Berries frescas, hermosas y deliciosas. Nuestros valores de humildad, pasión y confianza han guiado nuestra misión de deleitar a los consumidores en el mundo.
Las variedades exclusivas de Driscoll's han sido desarrolladas a través de años de investigación usando sólo métodos de mejoramiento natural. De la granja a la mesa, nos enfocamos en ofrecer una experiencia de alta calidad con apoyo de nuestros socios de la cadena de suministro.
Driscoll's es la marca de confianza de sólo las mejores Berries.