Agronomist / Nursery Supply Manager
- Location: US - Redding Nursery
- Job Family: Nursery
- Time Type: Full time
- Job Requisition ID: R0002229
- Experience Years: 5-10 Years of Experience
- Employee Type: Regular
About the OpportunityDriscoll’s produces the finest berries in the world. Sharing the benefits of best practices and the latest technology with our partner nursery growers are the key responsibilities of this role. As an Agronomist/Nursery Supply Manager for Driscoll’s you will work directly with operated and Contract Nurseries, Plant Breeders, Applied Researchers, District Production and Nursery Management to extend cultural practices and new technologies as they relate to container plant material. The position will spend a large percentage of time in the field, working directly with Nursery and District Ranch Managers and Propagators on best practices and the commercialization of new growing methods and new product development of substrate grown plants. This position will also assist in managing grower liaison and claim investigation processes and resolution.
- Proactively provide complex agronomic technical support to operate and contract Nurseries in the US and Canada for the purpose of ensuring consistent best management practices are followed in order to successfully produce container plant material.
- Recommend cultural practices to local fruit district staff and growers that align with existing nursery plant types and new product releases to ensure the best opportunity for plant performance of container plant material. Proactively work with local staff to implement.
- Develop, document, maintain and communicate Driscoll’s Nursery plant specifications for substrate grown plant material. As well as ensuring alignment with grower and district customers.
- Lead the commercialization process of new plant types for substrate grown crops including working with internal and external nurseries, documenting specifications and communicating all technical aspects of new practices.
- Present key new product development and nursery propagation change rational for substrate/container plant material to Planning group with savviness to influence outcomes.
- Work directly with National Supply and Regional Managers on new plant type and propagation methods of substrate container plant material, and how they affect fruit performance and future supply plans.
- Liaising with the Planning and Order Fulfillment group to ensure timely packing and delivery of substrate container plant material. Proactively understanding orders, delivery windows and communicating any concerns over shortfalls/overages of plant material that may arise, well in advance.
- Lead the supervision of the packing of substrate container plant material at third party and internal nursery locations during the commencement of packing, verify plant quality and readiness for packing, communicating quality standards and ensuring Driscoll's specifications are adhered to.
- Work closely with Nursery Plant Health to verify and investigate plant claims, carry out detailed investigations to identify issues/solutions and proactively communicate findings to Nursery Leadership and Plant Health.
- Understand and proactively support complex clean stock processes across the US and Canada Nursery Operations, as they relate to the production of substrate container plant material.
- Analyze third party and strategic nursery partners planning processes for substrate container plant production, ensuring resources are in place for on time planting, harvesting and packing of plant material, implementing corrective solutions to any issues that arise.
- Perform other duties as needed by Director – Agronomy and Applied Research.
- Follow Company policies and practices while representing Driscoll’s in an ethical and business-like manner in all interactions with employees, governmental agencies, growers, customers, etc.
- Ensure the security of Driscoll’s confidential and proprietary information and materials.
*This job description is intended to describe the general nature of the work performed by employees in this job.It is not an exhaustive list of all the job's responsibilities.At Driscoll’s, all of our jobs include broad responsibilities for continually improving the processes we use to develop our products.
- Five plus years agronomic experience. Berry crop experience required.
- Bilingual communication skills are preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in Plant Science, Agronomy or other related field. A Master’s degree preferred.
- Possess technical expertise in substrate/ fertigation and best management practices in a field and greenhouse environment.
- Possess the ability to trouble shoot complex technical problems and recommend appropriate solutions.
- Demonstrate a high level of organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks efficiently. Must display initiative and have the ability to set and meet deadlines.
- Possess highly effective communication, teaching and presentation skills, with the ability to present complex concepts.
- Demonstrate the ability to lead cross functional teams throughout the organization and effectively work through others.
- Possess technical writing abilities in order to develop and document SOP’s/BMP’s.
- Must have experience working with contract growers and fruit growers.
- Demonstrated continuous improvement and processes measurement experience.
- Must be able to maintain a valid CA Driver’s License with the ability to be insured under company sponsored liability coverage as extensive business travel will be required.
- Must have valid passport and the ability to travel internationally without restrictions as required.
Driscoll's is the global market leader for fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. With more than 100 years of farming heritage and hundreds of independent growers around the world, Driscoll's is passionate about growing fresh, beautiful and delicious berries. Our values of humility, passion and trustworthiness have guided our mission to delight consumers around the world.
Driscoll's exclusive patented berry varieties are developed through years of research using only natural breeding methods – meaning, no GMOs. From farm-to-table, we focus on delivering a high quality, premium berry experience with our many supply chain partners.
Driscoll's is the trusted brand for Only the Finest Berries™.
Driscoll's es el proveedor líder en la comercialización de Fresas, Frambuesas, Zarzamoras y Arándanos Azules en el mundo. Con más de 100 años de herencia en agricultura y cientos de productores independiente alrededor del mundo, Driscoll's es una compañía apasionada por cultivar Berries frescas, hermosas y deliciosas. Nuestros valores de humildad, pasión y confianza han guiado nuestra misión de deleitar a los consumidores en el mundo.
Las variedades exclusivas de Driscoll's han sido desarrolladas a través de años de investigación usando sólo métodos de mejoramiento natural. De la granja a la mesa, nos enfocamos en ofrecer una experiencia de alta calidad con apoyo de nuestros socios de la cadena de suministro.
Driscoll's es la marca de confianza de sólo las mejores Berries.