- Location: US - Watsonville, California
- Job Family: Research & Development
- Time Type: Full time
- Job Requisition ID: R0002226
- Experience Years: 0-3 Years of Experience
- Employee Type: Regular
About the OpportunityThe Test Plot Technical Grower will support the Farm Manager with all aspects of growing operations for all berry types. The main focus of this position will be irrigation, fertilization, environmental data monitoring, pest & disease scouting & management, and new technology implementation.
- Regular field walks to ensure pests and diseases are being managed, plants are healthy and all growing is being done to the utmost quality.
- Manage complex irrigation and fertilization system for plants grown in substrate utilizing computer based fertilizer injector technology for all berry types. Work with various vendors.
- Manage pest control program, including coordination of pesticide applications.
- Coordinate setup and take down of all substrate growing for all commodities including material orders, etc.
- Environmental data monitoring including monitoring of soil water availability, evapotranspiration, EC and pH, solar radiation accumulation, temperature, humidity, etc.
- Monitor, program, and maintain nutrient/acid injection systems.
- Collect and submit soil, tissue, & water samples. Implement changes based off the interpretation of results.
- Assist in the development of new technologies in the breeding test plots.
- Manage two technicians and 2-3 seasonal employees
- Communicate weekly with internal customers (breeders, entomologists, plant physiologists, and applied researchers) on fertilization, pest management, and other farming duties.
- Ability to work well with all supervisors and employees at a ranch level.
- Follow operating budgets by purchasing, tracking, and coding farming expenses.
- Follow Company policies and practices while representing Driscoll’s in an ethical and business-like manner in all interactions with employees, governmental agencies, growers, customers, etc.
- Ensure the security of Driscoll’s confidential and proprietary information and materials.
- This job description is intended to describe the general nature of the work performed by employees in this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all the job's responsibilities. At Driscoll’s, all of our jobs include broad responsibilities for continually improving the processes we use to develop our products.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Agronomy, Horticulture, Greenhouse Management, or Crop Sciences.
- 1-3 years of experience is desired.
- Demonstrated planning experience and working knowledge of farm infrastructure.
- Strong foundation in production agriculture and agronomic sciences.
- Knowledge of complex irrigation systems preferred.
- Ability to work in the field, office, and corporate settings, including the ability to perform repetitive physical work as necessary.
- Ability to manage assets, including equipment, labor.
- Pesticide applicator license, PCA license preferred.
- Ability to direct pesticide application team.
- Experience with research protocols; knowledge of plant physiology, health and pest pressure assessment, knowledge of soils/water and agricultural practices.
- Proficiency with computer programs (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook)
- Self-starter, hands-on, ability to work independently and work well with teams.
- Detail-oriented and organized, effective written and verbal communication skills; math, chemistry and analytical ability.
- Workplace communication in both English and Spanish preferred.
- Open attitude to try new systems and new technologies in farming.
- Effective collaborator across multiple departments.
- Work extended hours and weekends intermittently.
- California Driver license and the ability to be covered under company-sponsored vehicle insurance program are also required.
Driscoll's is the global market leader for fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. With more than 100 years of farming heritage and hundreds of independent growers around the world, Driscoll's is passionate about growing fresh, beautiful and delicious berries. Our values of humility, passion and trustworthiness have guided our mission to delight consumers around the world.
Driscoll's exclusive patented berry varieties are developed through years of research using only natural breeding methods – meaning, no GMOs. From farm-to-table, we focus on delivering a high quality, premium berry experience with our many supply chain partners.
Driscoll's is the trusted brand for Only the Finest Berries™.
Driscoll's es el proveedor líder en la comercialización de Fresas, Frambuesas, Zarzamoras y Arándanos Azules en el mundo. Con más de 100 años de herencia en agricultura y cientos de productores independiente alrededor del mundo, Driscoll's es una compañía apasionada por cultivar Berries frescas, hermosas y deliciosas. Nuestros valores de humildad, pasión y confianza han guiado nuestra misión de deleitar a los consumidores en el mundo.
Las variedades exclusivas de Driscoll's han sido desarrolladas a través de años de investigación usando sólo métodos de mejoramiento natural. De la granja a la mesa, nos enfocamos en ofrecer una experiencia de alta calidad con apoyo de nuestros socios de la cadena de suministro.
Driscoll's es la marca de confianza de sólo las mejores Berries.