Plant Physiology Intern
- Location: US - Watsonville, California
- Job Family: Administration
- Time Type: Full time
- Job Requisition ID: R0002014
- Experience Years: 0-3 Years of Experience
- Employee Type: Intern
About the OpportunityThe plant physiology department develops research solutions that address three core strategic areas of work to advance the business objectives (optimizing advanced genetics, developing new nursery products for advanced production systems and coordinating multi location production research trials globally). The intern will work within a team framework to advance the core purpose of the plant physiology department. The primary focus of the internship will be to optimize an existing automated irrigation controller and data collection system using open source micro-controllers and software which is used to farm our research trials.
- Optimize an existing C++ program and integrate sensors to collect environmental data such as temperature, relative humidity and solar radiation.
- Improve software capabilities to accomplish data logging of various sensor measurements and other activities of the irrigation controller.
- Collaborate with team members on executing field trials where the irrigation controllers are installed.
- Participate in designing experiments, data collection, analysis and presentation of research findings.
- Maintain a safe and orderly work environment
- Constantly strives to develop skills-set necessary to meet department, and company strategic goals.
- Ensures Driscoll’s confidential and proprietary information and materials.
- Represents Driscoll's in an ethical and business-like professional manner in all interactions with growers, co-workers, suppliers, customers, and the business community at large.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Be currently enrolled in a 2 or 4 year institution, in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or a related major such as Math, Physics.
- Knowledge of computer programming (C++) and experience with microcontrollers (Arduino or equivalent) is required.
- Be able to work in both a research lab and outdoor field environment.
- Have great communication skills.
- Be reliable, honest, and trustworthy.
- Must be able to lift 25 lbs.
- A California driver’s license and the ability to be covered under company-sponsored vehicle insurance program are also required.
Driscoll's is the global market leader for fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. With more than 100 years of farming heritage and hundreds of independent growers around the world, Driscoll's is passionate about growing fresh, beautiful and delicious berries. Our values of humility, passion and trustworthiness have guided our mission to delight consumers around the world.
Driscoll's exclusive patented berry varieties are developed through years of research using only natural breeding methods – meaning, no GMOs. From farm-to-table, we focus on delivering a high quality, premium berry experience with our many supply chain partners.
Driscoll's is the trusted brand for Only the Finest Berries™.
Driscoll's es el proveedor líder en la comercialización de Fresas, Frambuesas, Zarzamoras y Arándanos Azules en el mundo. Con más de 100 años de herencia en agricultura y cientos de productores independiente alrededor del mundo, Driscoll's es una compañía apasionada por cultivar Berries frescas, hermosas y deliciosas. Nuestros valores de humildad, pasión y confianza han guiado nuestra misión de deleitar a los consumidores en el mundo.
Las variedades exclusivas de Driscoll's han sido desarrolladas a través de años de investigación usando sólo métodos de mejoramiento natural. De la granja a la mesa, nos enfocamos en ofrecer una experiencia de alta calidad con apoyo de nuestros socios de la cadena de suministro.
Driscoll's es la marca de confianza de sólo las mejores Berries.