Test Plot Supervisor
- Location: US - Dover, Florida
- Job Family: Research & Development
- Time Type: Full time
- Job Requisition ID: R0001987
- Experience Years: 3-5 Years of Experience
- Employee Type: Regular
About the OpportunityWe are looking for an ambitious Test Plot Supervisor for our R&D Farming team. R&D Farming is responsible for the execution of research trials designed by breeders, plant physiologists, nursery, and applied research. The Test Plot Supervisor will be responsible for the day-to-day farming of our blueberry and strawberry test plots. Through optimized farming, the Test Plot Supervisor will grow the highest standard flavor and yield crop as it is critical to ensure full expression of the potential of new genetic material. The Test Plot Supervisor will bring value to the enterprise through their expertise in crop management, application of innovative growing practices and supporting the development and deployment of proprietary genetics.
- Work closely with test plot stakeholders to design the trials, implement best management practices and ensure test plot crops are growing to the highest possible standard of agronomy.
- Occasionally manage temporary field workers within the test plot.
- Connect with global R&D Farming operations as well as local industry and academic resources to improve quality (flavor and yield) of the crop.
- Support and assist other trials in pest and disease control and harvest data collection in blueberry and strawberry test plots. Implement control strategies when a problem is detected.
- Design field management and harvest program to minimize stressful conditions to the plant, and harvest the fruit at a low cost and without reducing quality.
- Regularly monitor well and irrigation water chemistry to avoid harmful salts and low nutrition for plant growth.
- Develop Standard Operating Procedures for all test plot activities.
- Reference and build upon an existing crop management guide with annual test plot and crop management activities.
- Plan and manage practical test plot operations, including planting, weeding, tunnel maintenance, pruning, and other crop husbandry activities.
- Ensure the research farms operate within the approved budgetary targets by managing and monitoring expenditures, accordingly, including seasonal labor costs and large capital purchases.
- Performs other duties as instructed.
- Represents Driscoll’s in an ethical and business-like professional manner in all interactions with growers, co-workers, suppliers, customers, and the business community at large.
The ideal candidate is a team player with an open-mind and flexible attitude towards working additional hours due to the seasonal nature of the crop. The candidate should have great attention to detail, good organizational skills, be a self-starter, independent, and natural problem-solver. The candidate should also have the ability to manage different projects across the enterprise with an open attitude to try new systems and new technologies in farming. Excellent communication skills are a critical trait due to the work with our test plot crew, grower partners, and peers from the breeding, farming, and applied research teams.
- Bachelor of Science in Plant Science, Agronomy, Horticulture, or a related field.
- 3 to 5 years of experience working with horticultural crops.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) speaking proficiency with excellent verbal and written English language skills.
- Able to work in the field, office and corporate settings, including the ability to perform physical work.
- Licensed to operate tractor-mounted equipment and to apply pesticide.
- Experience with berry crops, irrigation systems, and tunnel management are strongly preferred.
- Experience managing large teams on commercial farm operations with demonstrated management skills.
- A team player who responds positively to different opinions and personalities in a fast-paced production environment.
- An organized and proactive individual who can balance the sometimes differing management needs of R&D test plots with commercial grower operations.
- Florida driver’s license and the ability to be covered under company-sponsored vehicle insurance program.
- Demonstrate proficiency with computer programs (Excel, Word, power Point, Outlook).
Driscoll's is the global market leader for fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. With more than 100 years of farming heritage and hundreds of independent growers around the world, Driscoll's is passionate about growing fresh, beautiful and delicious berries. Our values of humility, passion and trustworthiness have guided our mission to delight consumers around the world.
Driscoll's exclusive patented berry varieties are developed through years of research using only natural breeding methods – meaning, no GMOs. From farm-to-table, we focus on delivering a high quality, premium berry experience with our many supply chain partners.
Driscoll's is the trusted brand for Only the Finest Berries™.
Driscoll's es el proveedor líder en la comercialización de Fresas, Frambuesas, Zarzamoras y Arándanos Azules en el mundo. Con más de 100 años de herencia en agricultura y cientos de productores independiente alrededor del mundo, Driscoll's es una compañía apasionada por cultivar Berries frescas, hermosas y deliciosas. Nuestros valores de humildad, pasión y confianza han guiado nuestra misión de deleitar a los consumidores en el mundo.
Las variedades exclusivas de Driscoll's han sido desarrolladas a través de años de investigación usando sólo métodos de mejoramiento natural. De la granja a la mesa, nos enfocamos en ofrecer una experiencia de alta calidad con apoyo de nuestros socios de la cadena de suministro.
Driscoll's es la marca de confianza de sólo las mejores Berries.