British Columbia Operations Specialist
- Location: US - Camarillo
- Job Family: Production Planning
- Time Type: Full time
- Job Requisition ID: R0001975
- Experience Years: 3-5 Years of Experience
- Employee Type: Regular
About the OpportunityDriscoll’s has expanded production and operations to British Columbia (specifically, Vancouver Island and Abbotsford), outside of blueberries, in 2019. The initial two new partnerships with growers will focus on raspberry and blackberry production to supply Canada demand and/or local Pacific Northwest (PNW) demand. With it being a new operation that has potential for significant impact to Driscoll’s, the Specialist will be responsible for overseeing all logistics and partnerships with the growers to ensure a successful launch of this new production area with continued business development to expand the region over the next few years including forming partnerships with new growers on the Island and in the areas surrounding Vancouver. There will be significant travel within British Columbia – back and forth between Abbotsford and Vancouver Island – and at times down to Washington, Oregon, and/or California for meetings and collaboration with other growers and colleagues. With Canada being the third largest market for Driscoll’s (behind U.S. and Australia) and a higher income-per-capita than Australia, Driscoll’s has made the significant move to create a Canadian entity and to start growing raspberries, blackberries, and strawberries in Quebec and British Columbia in order to supply the high demand for berries and Canadian-grown produce within Canada. Additionally, with some potential loss of production in California over the next five years and Canada’s favorable guest-worker program for the ag industry, it is likely that some of Driscoll’s production of berries in Canada will fulfill the U.S. demand as well. With potential substantial growth in Canada for Driscoll’s, this position, while a Specialist to start in the first year, has significant opportunity to grow, manage a wide-variety of activities, and move into more senior roles for this key and fast-growing new British Columbia District. This person must be a Canadian citizen.
- Represent Driscoll’s in a manner, which demonstrates the Company’s Mission, Vision, and Values in all interactions with co-workers, growers, vendors, government agencies, and consultants.
- Responsible for excellent service, partnership, and strategy with the growers and various departments within Driscoll’s. Teamwork, accountability, and follow-through are core to the success of this position.
- Work independently and remotely without a lot of supervision or a Driscoll’s office within the region (rather, traveling and working on-the-road and in a home-office)
- Perform business development within British Columbia to find new Growers; form mutually beneficial partnerships with the Ministry of Agriculture, local universities, regional berry organizations, and other potential stakeholders
- Represent Driscoll’s objectives and values in British Columbia, and all of Canada, especially within the current berry industry in BC; mitigate potential issues that could arise from Driscoll’s entering a new country and new region where berry production by small, family-owned farms already exists
- Manage the forecasting for the production and submit it weekly to the forecasting team in California
- Oversee all food safety, quality assurance (QA), packaging, cooling of fruit, warehousing, transportation, customs, and administrative activities for this operation, especially on Vancouver Island, but also in Abbotsford area. Short-term, seasonal workers will help with QA and shipping, but the Specialist will manage those employees and ensure all operations are executed correctly and in compliance with Driscoll’s standard operating procedures (SOP)
- As we partner with more growers in BC, possibly provide agronomical assistance on growing our raspberries and blackberries and communicate the business model to new growers; gain knowledge and have an interest in production of berries, advanced methods in growing (e.g., substrate, tunnels), and irrigation and fertilization techniques
- Collaborate with Driscoll’s Long Cane Logistics Manager and the nursery to efficiently supply raspberry and blackberry long cane pots to the growers, as well as coordinate the cold storage and transportation of the long canes each year
- Lead by example and place a high priority on representing Driscoll’s in a positive and unified manner
- Ensure effective collaboration and communication with our Grower base, District teams, and all Driscoll’s teams and departments for greater efficiencies and execution of Driscoll’s strategic plan.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Agriculture, Agricultural Business or a related field and one-to-two plus years of production experience or equivalent experience in the agricultural industry
- Strong project management and entrepreneurial skills; must be very detailed-oriented, organized, and be able to take initiative to get things done in an abstract, but fast-paced, environment
- Specific experience in rubus (raspberry and blackberry) production systems and strong business knowledge of perishable commodities are desired
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a strong cultural fit with Driscoll’s values
- Must be able to work collaboratively with the growers, employees in the California HQ office, and with the nearby PNW team
- Must be able to also work independently and work out of a home-office and on-the-road while traveling
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills, as well as a demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Power Point, Word, and Outlook)
- Must be able to travel by car and airplane and maintain a valid Canadian Driver’s License with the ability to be insured under company-sponsored liability coverage
- Must have Canadian citizenship and be willing to spend significant time on Vancouver Island and travel back and forth between the Island and Lower Mainland, especially during the season (June-October)
- Ideally, already living on Vancouver Island (in the Qualicum Beach/Nanaimo area)
- Ability to communicate in Spanish is a plus
Driscoll's is the global market leader for fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. With more than 100 years of farming heritage and hundreds of independent growers around the world, Driscoll's is passionate about growing fresh, beautiful and delicious berries. Our values of humility, passion and trustworthiness have guided our mission to delight consumers around the world.
Driscoll's exclusive patented berry varieties are developed through years of research using only natural breeding methods – meaning, no GMOs. From farm-to-table, we focus on delivering a high quality, premium berry experience with our many supply chain partners.
Driscoll's is the trusted brand for Only the Finest Berries™.
Driscoll's es el proveedor líder en la comercialización de Fresas, Frambuesas, Zarzamoras y Arándanos Azules en el mundo. Con más de 100 años de herencia en agricultura y cientos de productores independiente alrededor del mundo, Driscoll's es una compañía apasionada por cultivar Berries frescas, hermosas y deliciosas. Nuestros valores de humildad, pasión y confianza han guiado nuestra misión de deleitar a los consumidores en el mundo.
Las variedades exclusivas de Driscoll's han sido desarrolladas a través de años de investigación usando sólo métodos de mejoramiento natural. De la granja a la mesa, nos enfocamos en ofrecer una experiencia de alta calidad con apoyo de nuestros socios de la cadena de suministro.
Driscoll's es la marca de confianza de sólo las mejores Berries.