US Research Farming Senior Manager
- Location: US - Watsonville, California
- Job Family: Research & Development
- Time Type: Full time
- Job Requisition ID: R0001661
- Experience Years: 5-10 Years of Experience
- Employee Type: Regular
About the OpportunityThe US Research Farming Senior Manager will manage R&D farms and greenhouses with excellent operational standards, following on time and on quality farming models and will be accountable for footprint management, budget execution and compliance, resource and inventory management, as well as for the accuracy and quality for the data collected at the farms and greenhouses. Greenhouse operations should meet the quality, quantity and delivery dates requirements for plant and seed requests by the various breeding programs. This role will also develop and maintain a culture of innovation and performance excellence, open and constructive collaboration and accountability with the Breeding and Research groups. These goals will require: oversight of the planning, execution and process-improvement of test plot farms and greenhouse, innovation and the development of new technologies for farm and greenhouse operations as well as novel systems for collection of accurate and high-quality data; creation of “showpiece” farm and greenhouse operations that generate interest within Driscoll’s and across the grower community in visiting and learning from these operations.
- Advance Driscoll’s US research farms into world leading precision agriculture test plot sites.
- Manage the US research farming network, including test plots and greenhouses in Watsonville, Santa Maria and Oxnard (California), Dover (Florida) and Albany (Oregon).
- Establish and cultivate the professional profiles, the processes and the team structures that ensure excellent propagation and farming quality of seedling populations, breeding and research trials as well as of the data generated from breeding and research programs.
- Develop and mentor a team of R&D farm and greenhouse managers, growers, supervisors and specialists, instilling a culture of excellence, improvement, collaboration and curiosity, including identifying opportunities for professional and developmental growth.
- Develop a culture of quality, innovation and interaction with the business that supports and enhances the presence of growers in the research farms, effectively contributing for the genetic deployment of Driscoll’s proprietary genetics.
- Establish and cultivate strong relationships with breeders and researchers, district and operation managers, growers and other research farm colleagues across Driscoll’s global organization.
- Ensure yearly, multi-year and strategic planning of all US research farming operations, including footprint occupancy, infra-structure and financial budgets, in alignment with plant breeders and other researchers.
- Develop, design and implement high-quality processes and improvements in research farms and lead the development of new technologies in the breeding research farms.
- Strengthen the connectivity between the US research farming teams and the global teams, establish transfer and adoption of best propagation and farming practices and production systems to best serve the cultivation of breeding and research programs.
- Ensure the research farms operate within the approved budgetary targets by managing and monitoring expenditures accordingly, including seasonal labor costs and large capital purchases.
- Co-report to the Global Research Farming Strategic Manager regarding labor tracking, centralized purchased items, planning and other relevant global processes.
- Ensures the confidentiality of Driscoll’s financial, proprietary and employee information.
- Represents Driscoll’s in a manner that demonstrates Driscoll’s Mission and Values in all interactions internally and externally.
- Performs other duties as instructed.
- This job description is intended to describe the general nature of the work performed by employees in this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all the job's responsibilities. At Driscoll’s, all of our jobs include broad responsibilities for continually improving the processes we use to develop our products.
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Horticulture, Agricultural Systems, Biology or Plant Sciences, with a robust base understanding of plant physiology and plant growth, being able to apply such concepts into applied solutions.
- Capable people manager with a track record of recruiting, directing, coaching and inspiring teams towards high performance and cross-functional goals with breeders, researchers and other stakeholders across various functions.
- Capable of solving and directing technical issues while also possessing business acumen to integrate Enterprise vision into strategic plans and decisions for the US Research Farming network.
- Problem solving capacity, demonstrating critical thinking and agility to address issues on time and collaboratively.
- Experience with complex irrigation and farming systems and excellent understanding of horticultural production systems and levels of environmental control.
- Experience planning and managing budgets and prioritizing expenditures within set guidelines
- Demonstrates passion towards high performance, innovation and continuous learning and is able to translate it into team’s development and execution plans.
- Available to travel across the US research farming sites as needed, as well as internationally.
- Bilingual skills (English/Spanish) preferred.
- California driver’s license and the ability to be covered under company-sponsored vehicle insurance program are also required.
Driscoll's is the global market leader for fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. With more than 100 years of farming heritage and hundreds of independent growers around the world, Driscoll's is passionate about growing fresh, beautiful and delicious berries. Our values of humility, passion and trustworthiness have guided our mission to delight consumers around the world.
Driscoll's exclusive patented berry varieties are developed through years of research using only natural breeding methods – meaning, no GMOs. From farm-to-table, we focus on delivering a high quality, premium berry experience with our many supply chain partners.
Driscoll's is the trusted brand for Only the Finest Berries™.
Driscoll's es el proveedor líder en la comercialización de Fresas, Frambuesas, Zarzamoras y Arándanos Azules en el mundo. Con más de 100 años de herencia en agricultura y cientos de productores independiente alrededor del mundo, Driscoll's es una compañía apasionada por cultivar Berries frescas, hermosas y deliciosas. Nuestros valores de humildad, pasión y confianza han guiado nuestra misión de deleitar a los consumidores en el mundo.
Las variedades exclusivas de Driscoll's han sido desarrolladas a través de años de investigación usando sólo métodos de mejoramiento natural. De la granja a la mesa, nos enfocamos en ofrecer una experiencia de alta calidad con apoyo de nuestros socios de la cadena de suministro.
Driscoll's es la marca de confianza de sólo las mejores Berries.