Pacific Northwest Production Manager
- Location: US - Remote Locations - Washington
- Job Family: Operations
- Time Type: Full time
- Job Requisition ID: R0001592
- Experience Years: 3-5 Years of Experience
- Employee Type: Regular
About the OpportunityAdditional Locations: US - Remote Locations - Oregon
The Pacific Northwest District Production Manager is responsible for managing and effectively executing activities in the PNW (Pacific Northwest) District and to deliver on the District development plan initiatives. The Production Manager will also be responsible for initiating relationships with growers, in addition to developing and maintaining positive relationships with current growers. The Production Manager will partner with growers and various Driscoll’s teams in order to enhance berry production systems and the use of protected production systems; such as tunnels. The geographic focus of this position is the PNW; Oregon, Washington and British Columbia. Additional responsibilities include regular travel to these areas, in addition to various activities supporting the business within the PNW District.
- Represent Driscoll’s in a manner, which demonstrates the Company’s Mission, Vision and Values in all interactions with co-workers, growers, vendors, government agencies, and consultants.
- Responsible for excellent service, partnership and strategy for the Production Management team. Teamwork, accountability and follow-through are core to the success of this position.
- Supports District Manager in Planning and Budgeting; participates in the creation of the Gap plan and Production Plan for the Pacific Northwest Region. Designs and develops short and long-range projects to fulfill the goals and objectives of the plan; this will include recruitment, sourcing, and retention of Growers, understanding of deal drivers as well as the development and coordination of Grower communications in the district.
- Applicant manages specific duties in the everyday activities to operate the PNW district.
- Forecasting, organizes, develops, and manages production, grower communication, warehousing, cooling, pack-out, packaging, food safety, quality control and administrative support activities within the District.
- Responsible for assisting with all workers’ compensation incidents.
- Develops and supervises a seasonal team to handle the objective for the District. Leads by example and place a high priority on representing Driscoll’s in a positive and unified manner.
- Ensures effective collaboration and communication with our Grower base, District teams and all Driscoll’s teams and departments for greater efficiencies and attainment of Driscoll’s strategic plan.
Functional Responsibilities Include:
Blueberry Forecasting Lead
- Manage all blueberry forecasting for PNW season including updating the forecast daily and submitting to blueberry team in CA; communicate daily with growers to update the forecast; manage our modified atmosphere program with the growers and the blueberry execution team and how it plays into the forecast; during the off-season, submit quarterly forecast updates for next season; work on 5-year supply plans
- Lead for all QA (quality assurance) activities within the PNW District including coordinating support from Mexico, setting up housing, overseeing the local team, and resolving any quality issues with growers
- Coordinate packaging for blueberries, blackberries, raspberries with the procurement team in CA and the suppliers; provide local support as needed
- Visit all growers and provide agronomy, production, and operational support to them, with a focus on the growers in WA and British Columbia; this includes checking on their packhouses and advising them on their plants. It is ideal to visit growers each week during the season (June-Sept)
Lead the planning process with the blueberry supply team and Driscoll’s nursery for blueberries
- Coordinate plant orders and trials of new varieties for both the short-term and long-term
- Assist food safety team with getting all ranches approved and activated prior to start of season
- Perform routine end-of-season activities including providing growers with overall season production data and SKU mix; and reconciling transportation fees
- Manage unexpected issues as they arise
- Perform and oversee new ranch risk assessments; assist with regional cooler/warehouse/blueberry packline (Canby, OR); provide growers with support as requested
*This job description is intended to describe the general nature of the work performed by employees in this job.It is not an exhaustive list of all the job’s responsibilities.At Driscoll’s, all of our jobs include broad responsibilities for continually improving.
- Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture, Agricultural Business or a related field and two plus years of production experience, or equivalent experience in production management
- In addition, three to five years of management experience; technical crop management knowledge; and food safety and quality control experience are required
- Specific experience in blueberry and rubus (raspberry and blackberry) production systems and strong business knowledge of perishable commodities are desired
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a strong cultural fit with Driscoll’s values
- Must be able to work collaboratively with the growers, employees in the CA HQ; and the local PNW team
- Must have strong verbal and written communication skills, as well as demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Power Point, Word, and Outlook)
- Must be able to travel by car and airplane and maintain a valid OR or WA Driver’s License with the ability to be insured under company sponsored liability coverage
- Ability to communicate in Spanish is a plus
Driscoll's is the global market leader for fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. With more than 100 years of farming heritage and hundreds of independent growers around the world, Driscoll's is passionate about growing fresh, beautiful and delicious berries. Our values of humility, passion and trustworthiness have guided our mission to delight consumers around the world.
Driscoll's exclusive patented berry varieties are developed through years of research using only natural breeding methods – meaning, no GMOs. From farm-to-table, we focus on delivering a high quality, premium berry experience with our many supply chain partners.
Driscoll's is the trusted brand for Only the Finest Berries™.
Driscoll's es el proveedor líder en la comercialización de Fresas, Frambuesas, Zarzamoras y Arándanos Azules en el mundo. Con más de 100 años de herencia en agricultura y cientos de productores independiente alrededor del mundo, Driscoll's es una compañía apasionada por cultivar Berries frescas, hermosas y deliciosas. Nuestros valores de humildad, pasión y confianza han guiado nuestra misión de deleitar a los consumidores en el mundo.
Las variedades exclusivas de Driscoll's han sido desarrolladas a través de años de investigación usando sólo métodos de mejoramiento natural. De la granja a la mesa, nos enfocamos en ofrecer una experiencia de alta calidad con apoyo de nuestros socios de la cadena de suministro.
Driscoll's es la marca de confianza de sólo las mejores Berries.