- Location: US - Watsonville, California
- Job Family: Research & Development
- Time Type: Full time
- Job Requisition ID: R0001521
- Experience Years: 5-10 Years of Experience
- Employee Type: Regular
About the OpportunityThe Greenhouse Manager will lead all aspects of growing activities in the greenhouses and outside nurseries, supporting plant production for both commercial and plant breeding programs to ensure the quantity, quality and timely delivery of yearly plant orders.
- Lead all aspects of greenhouse and outside nursery growing.
- Work closely with the micro-propagation Laboratory Manager to successfully transplant, acclimate and grow plants from the tissue culture laboratory. Ensure finished product meets quality standards and shipping specifications.
- Lead greenhouse staff to ensure sufficient quantity and quality of plants are produced on a timely basis. Schedule labor and materials based on production plan.
- Develop and provide monthly propagation reports.
- Develop trial and implement new and improved growing methods.
- Work collaboratively on a regular basis with nursery, breeding, research and growers.
- Obtain a California Private Applicator Certification for pesticide use.
- Support Driscoll's global operations through conference calls, emails and occasional international travel.
- Recruit, train and evaluate personnel to manage labor needs.
- Prepare and adhere to operational and capital budgets and participate in planning for future nursery needs.
- Manage facilities, assets and records.
- Ensure compliance with laws and regulations for safety and chemical use.
- Follow company policies and practices while representing Driscoll's in an ethical and business - like manner in all interactions with employees, government agencies, growers, etc.
- Ensures the safe keeping of propriety varieties and confidential information.
- Perform other duties as instructed.
- This job description is intended to describe the general nature of the work performed by employees in this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all the job's responsibilities. At Driscoll's, all of our jobs include broad responsibilities for continually improving the processes we use to develop our products.
- A Bachelor's degree or higher in the agricultural or horticultural sciences is required.
- Minimum of 5 to 8 years of supervisory experience in a plant production environment with advanced knowledge and experience in greenhouse systems, plant production and plant propagation techniques.
- Experience with handling micro propagated plants is a plus.
- Experience with container/ substrate production is a plus.
- Proven leadership abilities is a must.
- Strong computer skills in MS Excel, Word and Outlook are required.
- Knowledge of MS Access is desirable.
- Position requires reliability, attention to detail, teamwork, critical thinking, and excellent problem-solving skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, project management skills, abili ty to work
- cross-functionally, creativity, and a process improvement mindset are also required.
- This position also requires an extended schedule to support operational requirements and some domestic and international travel depending on operational needs.
- Bilingual communication skills (English/Spanish) are preferred.
- Must be able to maintain a valid CA Driver's License with the ability to be insured under company sponsored liability coverage.
- A valid passport and the ability to travel internationally without restrictions required.
Driscoll's is the global market leader for fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. With more than 100 years of farming heritage and hundreds of independent growers around the world, Driscoll's is passionate about growing fresh, beautiful and delicious berries. Our values of humility, passion and trustworthiness have guided our mission to delight consumers around the world.
Driscoll's exclusive patented berry varieties are developed through years of research using only natural breeding methods – meaning, no GMOs. From farm-to-table, we focus on delivering a high quality, premium berry experience with our many supply chain partners.
Driscoll's is the trusted brand for Only the Finest Berries™.
Driscoll's es el proveedor líder en la comercialización de Fresas, Frambuesas, Zarzamoras y Arándanos Azules en el mundo. Con más de 100 años de herencia en agricultura y cientos de productores independiente alrededor del mundo, Driscoll's es una compañía apasionada por cultivar Berries frescas, hermosas y deliciosas. Nuestros valores de humildad, pasión y confianza han guiado nuestra misión de deleitar a los consumidores en el mundo.
Las variedades exclusivas de Driscoll's han sido desarrolladas a través de años de investigación usando sólo métodos de mejoramiento natural. De la granja a la mesa, nos enfocamos en ofrecer una experiencia de alta calidad con apoyo de nuestros socios de la cadena de suministro.
Driscoll's es la marca de confianza de sólo las mejores Berries.