Plant Health Technician
- Location: US - Red Bluff Nursery
- Job Family: Nursery
- Time Type: Full time
- Job Requisition ID: R0001470
- Experience Years: 0-3 Years of Experience
- Employee Type: Regular
About the OpportunityThe Plant Health Technician oversees all aspects of pest management practices and compliance with Driscoll's Plant Health and Clean Stock protocols for the Red Bluff Nursery to ensure the cleanliness of the yearly plant orders. This position reports to the Red Bluff Low Elevation Nursery Manager.
- Scout fields and growing structures for pests and plant health issues in accordance with Clean Stock and Best Growing Practices guidelines
- Train, evaluate, and develop personnel needed to execute the Plant Health Program
- Make recommendations for control of pests
- Coordinate the application of pest control measures with the Farm Operations Manager
- Oversee the application of pest control measures
- Report monthly pesticide use to DPR through Agrian
- Order pest control materials
- Maintain inventory of pest control materials and report monthly to Operations Admin
- Communicate with the Plant Health Manager to determine samples to be taken of questionable plant material found during scouting
- Lead process of marking and recording location of suspect plants, collection of material, sending samples for analysis and tracking results
- Discuss with Nursery and Plant Health Managers strategies for control of plant health issues
- Maintain relevant data in the GIS database and create information and/or reports to assist in management of Plant Health
- Assist in the yearly fumigation process
- Work with the Admin Assistant to execute the yearly pesticide safety program and respirator fit testing
- Maintain all equipment used for pest management applications
- Train all pesticide applicators to be able to perform applications without on-site supervision
- Perform all efficacy testing of pest control materials, tank mixes, application coverage, and phytotoxicity testing and establish a database of results
- Collaborate to ensure the success of trials for the Applied Research team
- Program Team support when requested
- Interface with the Screenhouse/Greenhouse department when necessary
- Collaborate with the Farm Operations Supervisor and Plant Development Technician to develop a pool of employees who are cross trained in areas of Plant Health
- Assist in developing, implementing, and monitoring capital and operational budgets and spending
- Develop and monitor ways to reduce costs and/or increase efficiencies
- Ensure regulatory compliance throughout the nursery operations
- Follow company policies and practices while representing Driscoll's in an ethical and businesslike manner in all interactions with employees, governmental agencies, growers, customers, etc.
- Ensure the security of Driscoll's confidential and proprietary information and materials.
- Assure adherence to and advocate the Driscolls Safety Program
- May assist with supervision of staff as needed
- Special projects or assignments as needed
*This job description is intended to describe the general nature of the work performed by employees in this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all the job's responsibilities
- Bachelor's Degree in Plant Sciences or Agricultural Biology
- Pest Control Advisors license or ability to obtain one within six months
- Strong skills using MS Excel, Word, and Outlook.
- Ability to learn other computer programs as needed (i.e. ArcView, MS Project, and SharePoint)
- Have strong leadership skills, reliability, attention to detail, teamwork, critical thinking, problem solving, excellent verbal and written communication skills, project management skills, ability to work cross-functionally creativity, and process improvement mindset.
- Bilingual communication skills (English/Spanish) are required.
Driscoll's is the global market leader for fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. With more than 100 years of farming heritage and hundreds of independent growers around the world, Driscoll's is passionate about growing fresh, beautiful and delicious berries. Our values of humility, passion and trustworthiness have guided our mission to delight consumers around the world.
Driscoll's exclusive patented berry varieties are developed through years of research using only natural breeding methods – meaning, no GMOs. From farm-to-table, we focus on delivering a high quality, premium berry experience with our many supply chain partners.
Driscoll's is the trusted brand for Only the Finest Berries™.
Driscoll's es el proveedor líder en la comercialización de Fresas, Frambuesas, Zarzamoras y Arándanos Azules en el mundo. Con más de 100 años de herencia en agricultura y cientos de productores independiente alrededor del mundo, Driscoll's es una compañía apasionada por cultivar Berries frescas, hermosas y deliciosas. Nuestros valores de humildad, pasión y confianza han guiado nuestra misión de deleitar a los consumidores en el mundo.
Las variedades exclusivas de Driscoll's han sido desarrolladas a través de años de investigación usando sólo métodos de mejoramiento natural. De la granja a la mesa, nos enfocamos en ofrecer una experiencia de alta calidad con apoyo de nuestros socios de la cadena de suministro.
Driscoll's es la marca de confianza de sólo las mejores Berries.