Research Scientist, Chemistry
- Location: US - Watsonville, California
- Job Family: Research & Development
- Time Type: Full time
- Job Requisition ID: R0001469
- Experience Years: 3-5 Years of Experience
- Employee Type: Regular
About the OpportunityThe Research Scientist will be responsible for applying analytical chemistry techniques to address plant metabolomics and flavor chemistry research for Global R&D. This role will work together with a small creative team to support research roles within the chemistry group and will help ensure a steady lab output. Responsibilities include discovery and application work, workflow optimization, informatics, potential supervision of other technical staff, and maintenance of laboratory equipment and instrumentation. This role will also help plan and assure completion of complex projects involving cross-functional teams, and stay current with the newest metabolomics techniques that would aid Driscoll’s in accomplishing our mission.
- Assist in the planning, management, and implementation of complex research projects involving interdisciplinary teams.
- Develop, perform, and optimize targeted and untargeted metabolomics workflows in berries.
- Interpret and report on chromatography and mass spectrometry data using metabolomics and cheminformatics approaches.
- Operate and maintain analytical instrumentation such as GC-MS and LC-MS.
- Keep a stocked, clean, and orderly laboratory to promote safety and productivity.
- Supervise technical staff to assist in research efforts as needed.
- Support and promote safety.
- Develop, train, and evaluate performance of employees on a continuous basis.
- Maintain collaborative working relationships with other R&D and business departments in Driscoll’s.
- Establish collaborative relationships with other researchers in the field through attendance of conferences, symposia, and workshops.
- Occasional domestic and international travel will be required.
- Keep an up-to-date digital lab notebook and contribute to SOPs.
- Follow Company policies and practices while representing Driscoll’s in an ethical and business-like manner in all interactions with employees, governmental agencies, growers, customers, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ph.D. with 3-5 years’ research experience in metabolomics, analytical chemistry, flavor chemistry, and/or plant biochemistry.
- Demonstrated ability to develop analytical workflows including sample preparation, instrument methods, and data analysis.
- Experience with liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry (LC-MS) required, gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (GC-MS) a plus.
- Experience with metabolomics or cheminformatics data analysis tools and workflows.
- Excellent analytical, statistical, data visualization, and communication skills.
- Knowledge of other analytical instrumentation such as FTIR, NMR, DESI, MSn, etc.
- A hard-working, proactive, and self-motivating individual.
- Some travel will be required.
- A California driver’s license and the ability to be covered under company-sponsored vehicle insurance program are also required.
- Passport and the ability to travel internationally without restrictions is also required.
Driscoll's is the global market leader for fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. With more than 100 years of farming heritage and hundreds of independent growers around the world, Driscoll's is passionate about growing fresh, beautiful and delicious berries. Our values of humility, passion and trustworthiness have guided our mission to delight consumers around the world.
Driscoll's exclusive patented berry varieties are developed through years of research using only natural breeding methods – meaning, no GMOs. From farm-to-table, we focus on delivering a high quality, premium berry experience with our many supply chain partners.
Driscoll's is the trusted brand for Only the Finest Berries™.
Driscoll's es el proveedor líder en la comercialización de Fresas, Frambuesas, Zarzamoras y Arándanos Azules en el mundo. Con más de 100 años de herencia en agricultura y cientos de productores independiente alrededor del mundo, Driscoll's es una compañía apasionada por cultivar Berries frescas, hermosas y deliciosas. Nuestros valores de humildad, pasión y confianza han guiado nuestra misión de deleitar a los consumidores en el mundo.
Las variedades exclusivas de Driscoll's han sido desarrolladas a través de años de investigación usando sólo métodos de mejoramiento natural. De la granja a la mesa, nos enfocamos en ofrecer una experiencia de alta calidad con apoyo de nuestros socios de la cadena de suministro.
Driscoll's es la marca de confianza de sólo las mejores Berries.