Research Farm Growing Supervisor
- Location: US - Arts Ranch, Oxnard
- Job Family: Research & Development
- Time Type: Full time
- Job Requisition ID: R0000820
- Experience Years: 3-5 Years of Experience
- Employee Type: Regular
About the OpportunityThe Research Farm Growing Supervisor will be the in ground berry grower for our R&D test plots in the Oxnard District for all four berry products. This position is responsible for all technical growing aspects including, irrigation, fertilization, integrated pest management, etc., while following our best management practices and receiving advice from contractors and in house specialists. Growing dozens of high quality crops annually that meet our key performance indicators such as marketable yield per acre will be of utmost importance for this person. Collaborating well with over a dozen breeders and researchers in performing the farming of their trials is key to this role.
- Running the integrated pest management (IPM) program for all soil grown berry crops.
- Perform weekly pest and disease scouting with reports.
- Decide on pest and disease management chemical, cultural, and beneficial organism options.
- Weed management.
- Ensure appropriate and timely irrigation practices based upon tensiometer readings, weather, stage of growth, and general plant observations.
- Responsible for appropriate fertilization and acidification practices based on berry type, stage of growth, lysimeter readings, tissue and soil nutritional analysis, climate, and if any nutritional deficiencies or toxicities present.
ADDITIONAL GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supervise a small crew to irrigate, fertilize, apply pesticides, and to apply beneficial organisms.
- Supervise the lysimeter water quality data collection and record tensiometer readings.
- Occasionally help design and perform farm trials to improve our internal processes.
- Aid other researchers in carrying out important plant trials including data collection.
- Follow operating budgets by purchasing, tracking, and coding farming expenses. Understand and provide support if needed in the planning processes.
- Manage 2-4 Seasonal Workers.
- Worker safety.
- Communicate weekly with internal customers on fertilization, pest management, and other farming duties.
- Assist in the development of new technologies in the breeding test plots.
- Ensure irrigation systems and farm equipment are well maintained.
- Follow Company policies and practices while representing Driscoll’s in an ethical and business-like manner in all interactions with employees, governmental agencies, growers, customers, etc.
- Ensure the security of Driscoll’s confidential and proprietary information and materials.
- Other duties as assigned.
- This job description is intended to describe the general nature of the work performed by employees in this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all the job's responsibilities. At Driscoll’s, all of our jobs include broad responsibilities for continually improving the processes we use to develop our products.
- Bachelor’s degree in agriculture related field.
- 3+ years of farming experience preferred.
- Demonstrated farm planning experience and working knowledge of farm infrastructure preferred.
- Pesticide applicators’ license: Qualified Applicator License (QAL) required, but Pest Control Advisor (PCA) license preferred.
- Able to work in the field, office and corporate settings, including the ability to perform hard, repetitive physical work as necessary.
- Ability to manage assets, including equipment and labor.
- Travel will be required mostly in the Oxnard area, with occasional travel to other farming locations in California and possibly Mexico.
- California driver’s license and the ability to be covered under company-sponsored vehicle insurance program are also required.
- Self-starter, hands-on, ability to work independently and work well with teams.
- Detail-oriented, effective verbal and written skills, good organizational, math, chemistry and analytical ability.
- Experience with research protocols; and knowledge of plant physiology, health and pest pressure assessment, knowledge of soils/water and agricultural practices.
- Workplace communication in both English and Spanish preferred.
- Demonstrated proficiency with computer programs (Excel, Word, Outlook).
- Ability to work with key stakeholders and manage multiple projects across the enterprise.
- Results and solutions oriented.
- Ability to plan ahead and look at the whole picture.
- Mechanical knowledge and agricultural tools expertise.
- Open attitude to try new systems and new technologies in farming.
- Service and support attitude towards breeding, entomology, and applied researcher customers.
Driscoll's is the global market leader for fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. With more than 100 years of farming heritage and hundreds of independent growers around the world, Driscoll's is passionate about growing fresh, beautiful and delicious berries. Our values of humility, passion and trustworthiness have guided our mission to delight consumers around the world.
Driscoll's exclusive patented berry varieties are developed through years of research using only natural breeding methods – meaning, no GMOs. From farm-to-table, we focus on delivering a high quality, premium berry experience with our many supply chain partners.
Driscoll's is the trusted brand for Only the Finest Berries™.
Driscoll's es el proveedor líder en la comercialización de Fresas, Frambuesas, Zarzamoras y Arándanos Azules en el mundo. Con más de 100 años de herencia en agricultura y cientos de productores independiente alrededor del mundo, Driscoll's es una compañía apasionada por cultivar Berries frescas, hermosas y deliciosas. Nuestros valores de humildad, pasión y confianza han guiado nuestra misión de deleitar a los consumidores en el mundo.
Las variedades exclusivas de Driscoll's han sido desarrolladas a través de años de investigación usando sólo métodos de mejoramiento natural. De la granja a la mesa, nos enfocamos en ofrecer una experiencia de alta calidad con apoyo de nuestros socios de la cadena de suministro.
Driscoll's es la marca de confianza de sólo las mejores Berries.