All of our organic berries are USDA 100% certified organic.
Blackberry Ginger Bars
Blackberry Ginger Bars
The addition of nuts, spices and citrus zest to the crumble topping turns these bars into a variation on the traditional Austrian Linzertorte. In this recipe, blackberries stand in for raspberries, and are enhanced with orange zest and ginger. Try with strawberries and walnuts or blueberries and almonds.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup oat flour or finely ground old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/3 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cups (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 packages (6 ounces or 1 1/3 cup each) Driscoll's Blackberries
- 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cups toasted, skinned hazelnuts
- 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped orange zest
- Butter or grease a 9-inch square pan.
Stir together all-purpose flour, oat flour or ground oats, brown sugar and salt in a large bowl using a fork to combine and remove any lumps. Add melted butter and vanilla and stir until thoroughly combined.
Press dough evenly into prepared pan and freeze 30 minutes.
- Combine blackberries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice and salt in a 2-quart non-reactive saucepan over medium heat. Stir until mixture comes to a boil and continue to simmer stirring constantly until fruit thickens slightly. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
Place rolled oats, all purpose flour, hazelnuts, brown sugar, granulated sugar, salt, ginger, cinnamon and orange zest in the bowl of a food processor and process until nuts are coarsely chopped. Pour mixture in bowl and drizzle with melted butter using your hands to combine and make small clumps.
- Bake frozen crust at 300°F 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown and firm to the touch. Remove from oven and increase temperature to 350°F.
Spread 1-1/2 cups blackberry filling over crust and sprinkle evenly with crumble topping creating larger clumps if desired.
Bake about 50 minutes or until golden brown, rotating the pan halfway through the baking time. Remove from oven and cool on a rack 10 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of the pan to prevent the bars from sticking. Cool completely and cut into bars.
Amount Per Serving
Baking times are WAY too long on this! Halve them, at most, or it'll be burned to inedibility... and way too much salt in the topping, 1/4-1/2 tsp would be plenty. I'm baffled as to why the bottom layer required freezing before baking, but I did do it that way...