Grilled Chicken Breasts with Strawberry Red Wine Balsamic Sauce
The sweetness of strawberries blended with the flavors of balsamic vinegar and red wine makes a rich sauce in minutes. This is a strawberry recipe to keep handy for entertaining but is also easy enough to enjoy for a weeknight dinner.
- 1 package (16 ounces or 3 cups) Driscoll's Strawberries, divided
- 4 teaspoons light olive or vegetable oil, divided
- 2/3 cups sliced shallots
- 1 clove garlic, pressed or chopped
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cups red wine
- 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons cold water
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (4 to 5 ounces)
- Coat chicken with remaining 2 teaspoons oil; season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Grill or broil 4 to 5 minutes per side, until internal temperature is 170°F.
- Serve chicken surrounded by remaining sliced berries and warm strawberry sauce.
- Hull and slice strawberries. Set aside.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add shallots, garlic, bay leaf and thyme and stir until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add 3/4 cup sliced strawberries and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add balsamic vinegar and simmer 1 minute.
- Add wine and simmer until liquid is reduced to about half.
- Add broth and simmer 5 minutes. Whisk cornstarch and water together. Add mixture to saucepan and boil for 1 minute, stirring until thickened. Strain sauce and season with salt and pepper. Reheat just before serving.