Decadent Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake
The raspberries add beautiful, elegant color and sweet-tart berry flavor to contrast with the rich chocolate cheesecake. Calorie and fat content of this cheesecake can be adjusted by using regular, low-fat, or fat-free cream cheese.
- 20 chocolate wafer cookies
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 packages cream cheese, softened
- 2 packages reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2/3 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 2 packages (6 ounces or 1 1/3 cup each) Driscoll's Raspberries, divided
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1/2 package (16-ounce) bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Wrap 9-inch spring-form pan with triple layer of heavy-duty aluminum foil, making sure that foil reaches top of side of pan.
Place cookie wafers in a zip-top freezer bag or double bag. Crush with fingers or roll with a rolling pin or food can to make about 1 cup fine crumbs. Place crumbs in a medium bowl and stir in butter until evenly blended. Press crumb mixture firmly on bottom prepared pan. Bake 5 minutes. Cool.
Fill a large saucepot with water and bring to a boil over high heat.
Meanwhile, beat cream cheese in a large bowl with an electric mixer until smooth. Beat in sugar, cocoa powder and vanilla, on medium-low speed until thoroughly mixed. Beat in eggs, one at a time, scraping bowl well after each addition. Pour half of batter into cooled crust. Add 1 package raspberries in a single layer. Top with remaining batter. Place pan in a larger roasting pan and fill halfway up side of cake pan with boiling water.
Bake 1 hour 30 minutes or until just barely set in center. Remove roasting pan from oven. Remove cake pan from water bath and let cool completely on wire rack. Place in refrigerator and chill until cold throughout, 4 to 6 hours or overnight.
To make chocolate curls, melt shortening in a medium glass bowl in microwave. Stir in chocolate chips and heat in microwave 15 to 30 seconds at 50% (medium) power until chocolate chips are melted. Stir until smooth. Line an 8 x 4-inch baking dish with foil. Pour melted chocolate mixture into lined pan and let set in refrigerator overnight.
To serve, unmold melted chocolate and shave chocolate curls with vegetable peeler. Top cheesecake with remaining raspberries.
Lighten Up Tip
- Lighten up the recipe by using 4 packages of reduced-fat cream cheese or 2 packages reduced-fat cream cheese and 2 packages fat-free cream cheese. Cheesecake will be denser. Omit crust and coat pan with cooking spray.
My daughter baked this for our grandson's birthday. OMG! It looked just like the picture and was so delicious! It's very rich, so a small slice was all I could handle after a full dinner. Next time, I'll skip the dinner and have the chocolate raspberry cheesecake!
This is without a doubt one of the best things I have ever eaten. I had never made cheesecake before, but it turned out perfectly. The only changes I made was using full-fat cream cheese and a ready made Oreo pie crust. The combination of the texture and rich taste was incredible. Anyone who loves chocolate, cheesecake, or food in general should try this.