Whole Grain Raspberry Breakfast Bars
Packed with fiber, folate, potassium and iron, these easy-to-make raspberry bars are a perfect healthy snack or on-the-go-breakfast. Pressing the crumbs firmly into the pan and on top of the berry filling is important to make the bars hold together.
- 1 package (6 ounces or 1 1/3 cups) Driscoll's Raspberries
- 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned or quick-cooking oats
- 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cups walnut pieces
- 1/4 cups wheat germ
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cups canola or vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- Press half of the crumb mixture evenly on bottom of a 9 x 9 inch baking pan.
- Spread raspberry filling evenly over crumbs. Top with remaining crumbs and pat down gently.
- Bake 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool completely in pan. Cut into bars.
- Raspberry Filling
Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine raspberries, sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice in a small saucepan.
- Stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil.
- Simmer, stirring constantly, 2 minutes until sauce is thick and translucent. Remove from heat.
- Breakfast Bars
Combine oats, flour, sugar, walnuts, wheat germ and cinnamon in a food processor.
- Process until oats and walnuts are finely ground.
- Add oil and egg; pulse to evenly combine, scraping sides of work bowl.