Blueberry Pumpkin Bars
No baking necessary with these crunchy blueberry and pumpkin seed squares. Simply follow the instructions then chill at least 1 hour before cutting to serve. The mixture is a blend of dates, oats, nuts, seeds and spices and the result is delicious.
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 cup Driscoll's Blueberries
- 1/4 cup light agave nectar, divided
- 6 Medjool dates, pitted and chopped (about 3 ounces)
- 1/4 cup creamy almond butter
- 1/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted pumpkin seeds, roasted
- 2 tablespoons whole golden flax seeds
- 2 cups crispy brown rice cereal
- Line an 8 x 8-inch baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water and stir until the cornstarch is dissolved. Set aside. In a small, heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine blueberries and 2 tablespoons agave nectar. Set pan over medium heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until most of the blueberries break down and juices begin to simmer, 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in cornstarch mixture and cook until mixture thickens, about 1 minute. Remove pan from heat and set aside to cool.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine dates, almond butter, oats, remaining 2 tablespoons agave nectar, coconut oil, ginger, vanilla, and salt. Mix on medium-high speed until the dates are broken down and mashed, scraping down the side of the bowl with a rubber spatula occasionally, 2 to 3 minutes. Add pumpkin and flax seeds and mix 1 minute. Add crisp brown rice and mix 1 minute, scraping down the sides of the bowl halfway through. Using your hands, knead the mixture to fully incorporate the crisps. Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan and press down with your fingertips to flatten and spread completely in the pan.
Using a small spatula spread the blueberry mixture on top of crisp layer. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving. Cut into 9 squares.